• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

off shore or bluewater speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeepAbyss

Feb 11, 2018
Hello,
I am interested in a recommendation for speargun setup,I am going to use a kayak for that.
Environmental conditions:
Diving at a depth of 5-10 meters.
Visibility of 10+ meters clearwater.
Fish weighing several hundred grams to several kilograms.
A combination reef fishing and pelagic fish.
I guess I need a 120 speargun and a 7mm thick shaft.
Thank for the help!

Reactions: Mr. X
For Atlantis(!), perhaps a Rob Allen/Rabtitech/Mako/Hammerhead railgun. E.g. RA Tuna 2x16mm rubbers and, I think, 7.5mm spear. Or the carbon barrel equivalent.

I think carbon barrels are the better, modern choice but they are too often overpriced, compared to inexpensive carbon fiber fishing rods for example. They sometimes require muzzle ballast, I believe RA have addressed that.

How about a rollergun? The carbon RA 110cm roller railgun would be my choice. I think they offer 16mm or 14mm bands.

Or, for the deep pocketed, how about one of those lovely Italian, wooden, Abella double rollers? Or an inverted roller? Too many moving parts for my taste.

There are quite a lot of really nice, fancy, "boutique" Italian, Greek and Spanish wooden or carbon spearguns to choose from.

If you're in the Med, the old Omer Cayman carbon or new Omer carbon Invictus ( or similar Beuchat Hero or Salvimar or...) In 100-130cm would likely be my choice. The Invictus comes with 2 or 3x 14mm bands. But for fish of just a few kilograms, seems like overkill. They might be too small to hit at distance. I'd probably go for a single 16-18mm band or 2x14 or 2x16mm.

Last edited:
Apnea ST 110? 2x14mm rubbers, modern raised handle, metal reverse trigger mech with metal side line release (LHS), aluminium railed barrel, 6.7mm spear with sharkfins HRC 48, open muzzle, Dyneema wishbones & wishbone loops/ toggles.

Nice gunspecs, any online shops carry them?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT