• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Offshore Location Trip

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TRINI KILLER

Oct 9, 2006
Hello Guys Trini Killer Here
Sorry To Make My First Communication So Abruptly, But I'm Seeking A Little

Recently I've Been On A Spearfishing Trip To An Oil Rig
The Location Was Approx 16 Miles Offshore In Approx 125 Ft Of Water. To What I'm Normally Accustomed To, Visibility Was Amazing. I Could See One Of My Pals Who Was Using Scuba Spear A 127 Lb Jew Fish On The Bottom.

I Freedive Only, Ny Other Buddy And I Were Concerned With The Game That I Saw Between 20 & 60 Ft , Mainly Barracuda From Approx 30 To 100lbs In Size, And Patrolling Schools Of Jacks Approx 50 To 60 Lbs.

The Sweels Were Approx 5 To 6 Ft And There Was A Steady Current That Would Constantly Pull You Away From The Platform At About 4 Ft Per Second. This Was My First Experience Of This Nature
And For Me It Was Difficult To Relax To Dive Properly. Can Any One
Tell Me If The Se Conditions Could Be Considered Difficult , Average ?????

I Got Into The Water First With My Euro Rife With Appro 150 Ft
Of Cord On A Reel Setup. It Seemed To Me That My Gun Was Underpowered For This Senario And I Misjujed The Distance To
Quite A Few Barras. What Should Be By Minimum Firepower Requirements For This Type Of Trip

Do The Species I Mentioned Above Have Any Special Tendencies Or Behaviors When Spared, I'm Trying To Figure Out If I Should Use A Float System For This Type Of Gig

Hope To Hear From Somone Soon Bye

Daryl Wong just got back not too long ago from a trip there as well.

As for rig hunting heres how we do it in the gulf....if there is a ripping current, hide behind a rig leg, out of the current, to breathe up and start your dive. You can also use the structure to "cut off" fish by anticipating where they will move, put a rig leg between you and them while you close the distance and pop them quick as they come back into view.

As for guns, freediving most of us here use a 55" 3 banded gun shooting a 62" 5/16 shaft(Wong cf semi enclosed hybrid to be exact). I also use a 110cm railgun with great results as well. I prefer a reel but started years ago on a float line.

With the vis you are descibing it shouldnt be an issue, but if you rig dive you will quickly learn to instinctively return to the surface with an arm over your head. Those barnacle encrusted legs really hurt the ol noggin I remeber Rick Bettua picking on me in Hawaii for my "perfect form" on ascent from years of necessity.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY AND INFO RIGDVR. USING THE PLATFORM LEG TO REST AND BREATHE UP IS A GREAT IDEA, I THINK THAT ON MY NEXT TRIP TO LOCATION I'LL TAKE A LITTLE MORE TIME TO FIGURE OUT A GOOD DIVE PLAN AFTER ASSESING THE CONDITIONS. IN THE MEAN WHILE I'VE THOUGHT OF A PLAN TO MAKE THINGS EASIER.

TYE A ROPE AROUND ONE OF THE RIG LEGS WITH ABOUT 10FT OF EXCESS AFTER TYING
AT THE END OF THIS 10 FT WOULD BE A BUOY. MAKE SMALLER THAN FIST SIZE KNOTS
ALONG THE LENGTH OF THE ROPE AT 2'' FT INTERVALS. I THINK THAT THIS WOULD ENABLE ME TO BE ABLE TO BE ABLE TO HOLD THE ROPE AND REST TO BREATHE UP. THE
BUOY IS AN ADDED SAFETY FEATURE ALSO. DO U YOU THINK THAT THIS IDEA IS SENSIBLE???. WHAT APPPROX DEPTH DO YOU DIVE TO IN THE GULF TO REACH GAME.
MY GOAL IS TO BE ABLE TO REACH 60 FT COMFORTABLY IN THESE CONDITIONS AND SPEAR. I SENT SOME MAIL TO EMMA FARREL RECENTLY AND SHE BROUGHT UP THE IDEA OF FLYING IN PERSONALLY TO TRAIN A GROUP OF LOCAL TRINIS A COURSE. THIS WAS EXCITING NEWS SOO I WORKING ON GETTING A GROUP TOGETHER AND GOING THROUGH THE PROCESS. I THINK THAT FOR SURE THIS WOULD HELP ME TO REACH THE NEXT LEVEL, I THINK THAT I HAVENT DONE TO BAD ON MY ONE THOUGH. i'M ALSO PLANNING TO STOP SMOKING CIGARETTES TO UP MY PERFORMANCE , COULD THIS MAKE A LOT OF DIFFERENCE????. DROP ME A LINE### LATERS

sorry so long between replys but I dont cruise the net like I used to

Ive done the tie a line to the leg thing before in a ripping current and it does work. These days Im more apt to just swim up to it and hold on to the leg itself.

Quitting smoking can do nothing but improve your freediving! We typically hunt from 40-90' on rigs, but the rigs might be in 35-3000 feet of water depending on what we are looking for.

feel free to email me directly @ captmikefreeman@gmail.com

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…