• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Oil for use in pneumatic spearguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Make sure that you grease the muzzle screw threads, otherwise saltwater wicking up the tiny gaps between the thread faces can cause the muzzle threads to seize. It is the most important item to grease, but just enough to coat all the threads.

Just found this thread again and you can see what happens when internal parts are not coated in oil.

The oleo-pneumatic speargun design principle is to provide both lubrication and protection for the internal parts as early guns used no stainless steel and the sear lever in most pneumatic guns was not stainless steel, but a plated high carbon steel. Any tooth wear on what in essence is a single-piece trigger flattened out will cause the gun to shoot unexpectedly, thus oil lubrication was essential to prevent that from happening. As oil floats on water any water getting into the gun over time will sit under the oil around the piston tail with the muzzle pointed down, that is why pneumatic guns once used should be stored sitting on their nose.

The oil changes every two years are intended to remove contaminated oil rather than the oil wearing out as tiny amounts of water can get picked up if the gun is used extensively. Because dismantling oily guns is a messy job manufacturers have had a go at leaving the oil out a few times, but this is never successful and it soon gets added back once corrosion begins to be a problem. So that there is enough free oil in the gun after all internal surfaces are coated longer guns are filled with more oil to ensure that there is enough to go around. Too much oil and you reduce the gas volume in your gun, but this is only a concern in a low internal volume gun such as a “Taimen”.

Hi, has anyone ever used ballistol oil?
Will it work?

Attachments

• _ballistol_oil_50ml.jpg
    _ballistol_oil_50ml.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 296
"Ballistol" is formulated as a penetrating oil and anticorrosive oil for dealing with the acidic residues of the propellant burning in firearms, so not really applicable in a hydraulic application. Pneumatic guns shoot projectiles, but they are not firearms. Their closest analogue is the gas shock absorber, hence the use of telescopic fork oil.

Last edited:
I got my hands on some oil for pneumatic tools, would it do the job for an old school Mares Mirage 80 seems it needs an oil top up.

Viscosity is iso 32 or w10 just like mirage's manual says but i'm not sure if this would be ok i was thinking both pneumatic but then again not sure.

72877E0F-CA1F-44F1-93BE-FEBE09293491_1_105_c.jpeg

The anticorrosive additives make fork oil a better choice. That oil is used to lubricate "rattle guns" in automotive servicing garages, it is put in a sealed container alongside the water filters in workshop air lines and adds a fine vapour of oil to continually lubricate the internals of the air guns as the air moves through the air lines. Small amounts blow out of the guns which are turbine driven thus requiring more oil to come in, there are long intervals between topping the oil reservoirs up, but of course it depends on the use that the equipment is getting. However you could use it in pneumatic spearguns with no problems as I cannot think of any difficulties with doing so.

Reactions: milanboric
Hi!
any idea about the oil quantity of Lg sub revolution and supreme?
I have to change the oil on my revolution 102
and supreme 124 and 94
Thanks in advance

The LG spearguns have a conical end to the tank but are more or less similar to a Sten in internal volume, so if you look for the same length in a Sten then you can use that amount of oil. The volume is not super critical unless the gun has a small internal volume in which case too much oil will adversely affect the gun’s compression ratio by removing air volume. This is the Sten table for oil volume.
Mares Sten oil quantity.jpg

Didn’t the instruction manual that came with the guns include a pumping and oil quantity table? I have an LG Revolution, but I bought it from the guy who sells Pelengas guns and it came with no paperwork. I have never used it, buying it only to check out the inner works.

Another yardstick is to compare with the Salvimar guns, there are more lengths shown in their table.
Predathor diag..jpg

Basically the oil volume increases as the gun gets longer as the wetted internal surface area of the gun increases. The idea is to have a certain amount of oil to flow freely around inside the after you account for that stuck to the walls inside the gun. With no power regulator bulkhead there is less surface to coat with oil in an LG so you should be able to use slightly less than in an equivalent length gun also using a 40 mm tank diameter.

Last edited:
Thank you !
You help me a lot!
When I bought it from Italy inside was a A4 paper with the guarantee and the pressure bars only.
That’s it.
I’m from Greece and I live in Cyprus And in Cyprus they have no idea about air guns I have a curano 11 barrel and I ask for a piston ,the Mares authorised dealer goes to me-we don’t sell those things-
So imagine what’s going on with LG.
And I notice,when I open it for service,that the trigger pin is slightly bent after a years use.
Anyway thank you again

Thank you !
You help me a lot!
When I bought it from Italy inside was a A4 paper with the guarantee and the pressure bars only.
That’s it.
I’m from Greece and I live in Cyprus And in Cyprus they have no idea about air guns I have a curano 11 barrel and I ask for a piston ,the Mares authorised dealer goes to me-we don’t sell those things-
So imagine what’s going on with LG.
And I notice,when I open it for service,that the trigger pin is slightly bent after a years use.
Anyway thank you again
That is why it is advisable to remove the trigger pin before dismantling the gun especially Mares.

Reactions: 11Aaggeliki
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT