• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Oil rigs? Where do I start?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

irtrogdor

Oct 27, 2007
Hey there,
I'm going to be moving to texas this fall and I'd really like to do some spearfishing on the rigs before the season ends. Where do I start? I don't know who to get in contact with. And I don't really have any money (this is starting to sound grim, isn't it?) , so I would have to trade my services as a deckhand or something.

Also, how would I got about rigging my gun for oil rig free-dive spearfishing? SS cable? reel? breakaway? slip-tip? I really have no idea where to start here...

thanks for any responses,
-Ian R.

try the folks in spearboard.com
they are geared towards spearing in oil rigs. good luck and dont forget to post pics here too

Freedive spearing oil rigs. I can barely say it :blackeye OK, let me start by saying welcome to Texas, get a bigger gun, get a bigger boat, buy some dynamite. Having said that, breath hold spearing is actually accomplished in the rig area, just not inside the structure. However, I'm sure someone will point out that Sherie Daye did it! I mean hey, if you shoot small fish it works, but you gotta ask your self, "Do you feel lucky?" "Well, do ya?" And you KNOW that you want to hammer monsters of the deep. Fortunately, Guys like the Helldivers have the setup dialed in. I believe it is called a "Riding Rig" Because the metal beams underwater are encrusted with sharp barnacles, shooters try and keep the line from getting cut. Welcome, Welcome, :wave

How big a gun we talkin? I have a 120 cm, four band gun that weighs around 13 lbs. its a beast.
I always thought a riding rig was for scuba, right? it just seems like a bad idea to leave your destination up to the fish when your on one lungful of air...

anyways, what part of texas are you at? Do you do a lot of spearing around there? I really don't know a whole lot about the lone star state, but since i'm gona live there i figure I might as well start learnin now...

The gun sounds perfect, and with a reel or float system, bluewater hunting is fairly straight forward. The oilrigs and natural gas platforms really are like vertical reefs, only located in very deep water. So it seems that the best of both worlds collide combining pelagic cruisers, and deep structure bruisers. Hey don't worry about the money,good friend Chef Al is adept at putting together spearfishing trips. We all pray for calm seas. Really looking forward to meeting you. I live in San Antonio, Chef Al is near Seguin, and a couple of other enthustiastic spearos live nearby. Tell us some details concerning your timeline. Cheers.

ouch! i'm going to go to school in little ole' longview, about six hours north of your neck of the woods... looks like i'll have to take an overnight bus or something to get there in time for any weekend spearing.

I'm not exactly sure when i'll be moving out there, but i will be sure to let you know when i'm available to fish.
how long does the fishing season usually last down there anyways?

The fishing is good year round, just a seasonal change in the species due to the temperature change. As far as spearing is concerned, it's all about the visibility. We all do our ancient wind calming dance,with or without beer! :friday Check out spearos in the Houston, Galveston area. When the San Antonio bunch has a trip, you can crash here, hell, I never see my kids anymore, we have extra bedrooms now. Cheers.

Awesome, i'll look into the houston area spearos on spearboard.

and if your going to go on a trip later this summer/fall, feel free to pop me a PM or something in advance and i'll see if i can make it!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…