• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Oil Spill May Be In Loop Current Now

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So much pollution that it even has its own eco-system below it!

Last edited by a moderator:
And there are hundreds, all like this!

In fact it is rumoured that the wealthy neighbouring country offered to build this polluting country a power station that would use all this gas and be able to power the whole country just so the neighbouring country didn`t have to suffer the pollution.

This was rumoured to have been turned down ! I won`t go into the reasons rumoured ...its a macho thing!

This is a risky buisiness. One of the downsides is that only risk takers tend to work in it!

Here is a rig on fire!

Here is a BOP, similar to the one in the news.
Amazing bit of kit and engineering. As a last line of defense there are usually controls for them right next to the lifeboats! What went wrong?

My face isn`t usually that blue, but seeing how uninformed 95% of folk are sometimes has this effect!

Here are a few more, just cos I like them! I was there for installing the pipes in the middle pic and many more!

So about this problem in the gulf, folk want blood, compensation and someone to blame.

However no amount of blood, compensation and blame will remove this problem.

There are many many things at stake here in which the event is just a means to and other folk are concentrating more on these. You know the ones , wealth and power and redistribution etc.

I am sure as time passes and everything unfolds and the information is good we may be able to formulate a better understanding of what went wrong.In the meantime I hope the containment and clean up goes well.

How anyone can pass judgement at this stage is ... beyond me for want of better words! And annoys me so far as I have to post the likes of this which is against my better judgement and nature which is far more predisposed to keep em in the dark and try to borrow money off em and squander it! As I reckon 95% of folk don`t have a clue as to what goes on in their own backyards or much else maybe my info and understanding is not up to par!!

Hope you like the pics and info! To the 5%!

Reactions: nostres
Interesting pics omega tells a story alright. I don't think anyone has the right to give out about oil companies as we all use them in some way shape or form. What i would like to know is the depth of this particular well really outside of our scope control? ( as much as we can control anything at sea) Are there loads of wells operating at those depths or just a few?
My main reason for asking is selfishness. There are plenty of oil fields off the Irish coast that we have a claim too but htey are deep deep and from what I know the weather in the middle of the atlantic can be a bit windy at times. The biggest part of me hopes they remain untapped and impossible to access but as the price of oil increases and technology develops I suppose its just a matter of time.

Fcallagy
I think it is true to say that an unplanned event by human intervention be it through judgement, knowledge, cost, error, etc. etc. is possible at any depth.

The Gear is designed for purpose, so what went wrong?

With so many involved between contractors, drilling companies and sub-contractors, getting the right information may be difficult especially if there is arse covering involved and the agendas of others in a position to benifit and all of this will not clean up the mess or prevent it happening again.

Work in the Irish sea started a while ago. How else are we to feed so many all with rights.

I like the idea of chain gangs from prisons, they could clean my local beach up too! There is nothing like exercise and duty to build strong moral fibre....

My understanding in this case and I am only going from what I saw on tv is the rig went on fire uncontroallably this in turn destroyed the rigs ability to stay in position and when it started moving it pulled/damaged the plug so to speak. If they had managed to maintain the rig in position the leak as it is would not have happened?

omega people can be uninformed but its easier to be ignorant and arrogant .
its not nice to slip over in you own shit and convienient to blame someones arse for dropping it there

more pictures please mate they are worth a million words and i wonder if anyone needs it spelling out

FC, it can also be said that if they had not gone drilling this would not have happened.

There are thousands of questions to be asked here of the contractor (BP), the drillers (Transocean) and the BOP(I believe it is a Cameron BOP) and all else involved, the decisions and the actions that has led to this mess.

Untill we know the step by step from the cause to the event its anybodys guess.

This may help. http://www.drillingahead.com/forum/topics/transocean-deepwater-horizon-1

Jay, glad you like the pics, I have thousands from my time offshore. I find that I must be very careful what I show however as I wish to stay employable. Any particular topic?

Reactions: fcallagy
Ive always had huge respect for the people WORKING in the oil industry, but not for those who profit from their work.(Financially,that is,Im well aware that we all have much easier life because of it)

Since english is not my language its not so easy to get my message right...

Money makes the world go around, and if people dont think long and hard how to vote and how to spend their money(we all vote with every cent we use)big money screws us all big time...it probably will anyway.

It may all be in vain but should we not at least try to put some pressure on? To make some inconvenient noise?

Last edited:
you are wasting your time duck. he works for the oil company. and this may come as a shocker: he's on their side! but i'm not. and neither are the people in my area right now. deep drilling needs to be banned. end of story. with the stakes THIS high. and the losses this large. its simply not worth it. i find it hard to believe, there isnt enough oil within SAFE reaches. if there really isnt any more shallow oil, we need to use alternative energy technology, maybe even nuclear. its no secret that oil companies buy up- then suppress alternative energy companies. simply buy them up, then fail to produce anything, keeping us all dependent on them. omega3 was the guy who came up with the concrete tophat idea#2. after doing it once and needing a back up plan, he said " make another one"before working in deep drilling, he was strip mining the amazon,,(we all need minerals) he plans to move into the chinese -prisoner body parts broker career after that(we all need parts eventually right?) just because we need something, doesnt justify going to ANY extents to get it.) omega3 really is pissed off because his retirement is falling in value by the second. he claims to have sold it all at the beginning of all this. how convenient. i , for one aint buying it. thats why he's so pissed off every time someone bad mouths the oil company. - it actually costs him money. i for one am boycotting bp for life. and i'm not the only one. its true: i need oil products. also true: there are other oil companies. not all oil is drilled in risky ways. maybe we need to figure out who's doing what, and buy accordingly. example: i buy eggs that are cage free chickens. they cost a little more, but i can afford it, and i like them better. so maybe a similar decision is in order for oil choices. of course we would need some sort of verification, since oil companies have no morals . just pure greed.

Last edited:
guess whos back , back again , jts back ,grab a friend,
la la la la la .la la la la .la la la la .la la la.
welcome back jt werve you been my old tag team pardner ?
how s the boycot going r ya keeping it really strict now buddy
try a no oil week that will get them worried

the other oil employee chimes in. welcome back. who owns bp? is it british? i heard it was british. it is british right? pray tell.......

Reactions: jay cluskey
hey buddy i dont work in the oil industry but i am British and Proud we are Brilliant People we are the Best People on the planet im thinking of words that start with b & p a lot lately it must be all the adverts i watch as i dont get out much .
in fact i only get out to fix the antenna
[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5301167223369517485"]A Brief History of America[/ame]

Last edited:
Guys

Let's not make this personal please. I may have to get my whip out just now ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT