• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Oil Spill May Be In Loop Current Now

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jwest I actually think you may be onto something. Is there such a thing as an ethical oil company. Problem is in a lot of cases petrol comes in at a port and could be from anyone. The petrol at the pump could have come from a bp well or any other company afaik. I agree that if there was a merit system I would pay a few cents more to a reputable company if it was possible. This system is done properly does work as in the eggs example and also for other products. The fairtrade brand is one of the fastest growing brands in europe at present.

I did not read the whole thread,

I drive and also use outboard engines to go fishing, therefore I am also part of the problem.

If you guys/gals have not watched here are the links for the 60 minutes program about the incident, they are not kind to BP often these programs exaggerate things for ratings, but also have lots of truth.

My take is all of these (wrong procedures) were common practice among all of the companies, but this time something went wrong.

BTW all the steps BP took were approve the US Federal government. No sense in bashing anyone here, also BP did not take off and run, they are spending lots of money.

There are a couple additional companies involved here

Halliburton did the cement job - US Company
Schlumberger did the cement log - French company

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0onXmlFgF8I]YouTube - 60 Minutes - BP disaster - Deepwater Horizon survivor Mike Williams pt 1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N58oCgl9j2c]YouTube - 60 Minutes - BP disaster - Deepwater Horizon survivor Mike Williams pt 2[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfzPod_jSh8]YouTube - 60 Minutes - BP disaster - Deepwater Horizon survivor Mike Williams pt 3[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNkuWuicFJE]YouTube - 60 Minutes - BP disaster - Deepwater Horizon survivor Mike Williams pt 4[/ame]

Reactions: jay cluskey
BBC reported the other day that US (pensions I think) own 38% of BP. An earlier report mentioned British pension owning slightly more than that. The BBC interviewed a US lawyer whose company filed class action law suites as soon as the spill began, they have 6 law suites filed currently. From my limited personal experience of class action law suites in the USA (2), I reckon the lawyers will get fabulously rich from this - they'll probably own BP - & our pensions will be worth nothing (as everybody continues to milk the pensions of value, inc. the British govt.). The victims will get token payments.

The American's don't seem to like BP's chairman or the way he talks. I think they have a point, how on earth did he end up in charge of a company, let alone a very large, valuable oil company? [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hayward[/ame]

rofloh ff sake its the new 9/11 how much worse can this get rofl
i can just see me and omega 3 on americas most wanted now
off to the caves we go :)

THEY NEED TO CAP THIS THING OF SOON or things are really going to get bad. then we will really be going after bp. after watching 60 minutes. i think we need to send those rsponsible to our friends in turkey. where they can be tried - tortured and executed legally.this is the worst atrocity a human being can accomplish. what else could be worse than this? what else could you do that would kill wildlife,destoy the sea, kill people by fire, how can ANY punishment be considered payment for this? the bp exec. who ordered them to continue driling, should be killed, his boss should be killed. we execute people for killing one person here in america. when you kill 9 and cause an oil spill, we just fine you? bullshit. we should pull out the tower of london goodies. do em like william wallace, on you tube. that would make me feel a little better anyway. we can sell off bp, invest the money in clean energy. and pay back all the american pensions ,(just kidding - ALL the pensions) from what i hear bp is having a record year so far........ good..... they will need every penny plus some lives to get out of this

:head:head:head:head:head

Transocean Deepwater Horizon Explosion-A Discussion of What Actually Happened? - Drilling Ahead

Update on Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill Response | Press release | BP

Looks like the hats doing OK then! better than a poke in the eye or sitting about all day moaning!!

Department of Energy - Data Summary from Deepwater Horizon

Transocean Disaster Info - Drilling Ahead

Well Jay I will see you in the cave.

I was going to get lights fitted in the cave but it seems now by popular belief that if I hire a contractor to do the wiring and the place burns down that I am responsible even if the contractor is accredited/ experienced etc. So I am not sure now but I believe I will ask the a news team for confirmation of this or some old duffer with political aspirations! Candles it is!

Oh and I have to have a nice personality to hire the contractor now too I believe??

Some folk may be doomed before they begin.

Good luck.

No chance here for the facts to get in the way of a great story!

:head:head:head:head:head

You lot can relax, BP is the duty holder so will foot the bill no matter which way (no disrespect to the affected, human and animal) I am sure that any help will be welcome, the sooner the better.

I am sure most can appreciate that this is a mess. So was lead in petrol and CFC`s as refrigerant gas but we are all still driving and got a few coolin in the fridge!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jay cluskey
i dont believe in executions jt do you not think it makes murderers out of innocent people.
there is a variety of illness and diseases out there all waiting for a cure can we just not test vaccines on the peados and murderers?
the only people who will profit from the litigation is the lawyers.
i suggest you watch brave heart in full as well its a great film

whether i do or dont believe in execution is mostly irrelevent. truth is: we execute people in my country.for killing one person. the majority of people believe in it too.
i agree about testing drugs on the prisoners. good idea. we can test on them right up until we kill them. LOL kidding.....good idea though
the us government may be pressured enought to step in and take bp's money. the lawyers may not get all they normally do. this case may set precedent. it is certainly the biggest disaster of its kind in us history. many times over- in fact. so the rules may change this time around. obama is a change guy. we'll see.
i have seen braveheart about 23 times in its entirety. its one of my favorites. i am of irish descent, so i empathise with the scottish. and envy their independence from the crown. its something ireland has still not accomplished.

This is another good article, I am sure is not as exciting as the talking heads on the cables news, but if you are old fashion and trust news papers better then cable news.

Ixtoc: The Gulf's other massive oil spill no longer apparent: Gulf of Mexico oil spill | adn.com

that article HAD to have been written by someone working for the oil company. i read it. it sounds like an endorsement for oil spills . did you read that? i suppose if i was stupid enough to believe it- it would give me hope----i'm not.........it doesnt...... do you believe that? did you read it?

"we execute people in my country.for killing one person. the majority of people believe in it too."

"indeed you do jt and i wish the british judicial system had similar powers for such crimes BUT you couldnt execute somebody for corporate manslaughter and thats what happened on the deepwater horizon .
i am quite shocked at the reactions from over there the reactions seem so blinkered
the actual drilling contractors ,to me, are conspicuous by there total non comments and the us should be assured by bp,s comments about putting things right .
the biggest concearn ,to me, is the damage to the enviroment ,put that right first .

just an opinion , i doubt the victims of hurricane katrina,s victims have been compensated by the us government already have they , the government failed the people of new orleans and thats all been hush hushed now .

now there is a blame factor with the gulf spill and there is a company putting its hand up and even the president has jumped on the bandwagon of blame
i am shocked by obamas naiveity with the 9/11 comparisons ,no class shown there.

there is more than one company involved in the gulf spill crisis and everyone is convieniently missing the point on that.

corporate manslaughter? was it? 9 people died right? wouldnt that be just manslaughter on the people responsible? depending on the level of involvement, maybe murder not pre meditated. but murder nonetheless.. i saw the 60 minutes program , and the smartest man in america says its bp's fault. the last man standing, said its bp's fault. you are the only one who is saying its not ,(oh ,,and bp of course, but then..you and bp are the same entity, so thats no surprise)as far as bp, putting their hands up. - all they have said so far is they will pay any "legitimate claims" what does that mean? cant they just say any claim is not legitimate and not pay? that sounds like early posturing to me. we will see soon enough. and dont blame obama. no one on earth seems to be able to figure out how to plug this hole. he's not a scientist or an oil driller. this is an oil problem and should be fixed by oil people. if they couldnt plug the hole , they shouldnt have drilled it. and THAT is the biggest crime of all. but will go unpunished, since no one has ever done anything this stupid before. there is no precedent for drilling 3 miles down. the pressures are so immense, there is no room for error. and since humans arent perfect, there will be error, and this type of thing happens. can we call it an accident? i see a series of mistakes . any one of which, should have been enough for them to stop the drilling, but bp needs more money, so they pressed on. thats not within my definition of an accident. more like cause and effect. and should be punished as such, and will, watch...... how can fining the richest company in the world stop them from doing anything, they will simply factor the fines into the cost and pass it on at the pump. we need to do something dramatic to stop them from doing it again at all costs. maybe a you tube execution would make the corporate idiots think twice before they skip safeguards sgain, wouldnt it? we fined them last time they pulled this stuff and they just do it again. fining a company this rich is a joke.

Last edited:
corporate manslaughter? was it? 9 people died right? wouldnt that be just manslaughter on the people responsible? depending on the level of involvement, maybe murder not pre meditated. but murder nonetheless.. i saw the 60 minutes program , and the smartest man in america says its bp's fault. the last man standing, said its bp's fault. you are the only one who is saying its not ,(oh ,,and bp of course, but then..you and bp are the same entity, so thats no surprise)as far as bp, putting their hands up. - all they have said so far is they will pay any "legitimate claims" what does that mean? cant they just say any claim is not legitimate and not pay? that sounds like early posturing to me. we will see soon enough. and dont blame obama. no one on earth seems to be able to figure out how to plug this hole. he's not a scientist or an oil driller. this is an oil problem and should be fixed by oil people. if they couldnt plug the hole , they shouldnt have drilled it. and THAT is the biggest crime of all. but will go unpunished, since no one has ever done anything this stupid before. there is no precedent for drilling 3 miles down. the pressures are so immense, there is no room for error. and since humans arent perfect, there will be error, and this type of thing happens. can we call it an accident? i see a series of mistakes . any one of which, should have been enough for them to stop the drilling, but bp needs more money, so they pressed on. thats not within my definition of an accident. more like cause and effect. and should be punished as such, and will, watch...... how can fining the richest company in the world stop them from doing anything, they will simply factor the fines into the cost and pass it on at the pump. we need to do something dramatic to stop them from doing it again at all costs. maybe a you tube execution would make the corporate idiots think twice before they skip safeguards sgain, wouldnt it? we fined them last time they pulled this stuff and they just do it again. fining a company this rich is a joke.

9 killed ??? Try 11. Can you get anything right???

Have a read of this jt. Especially the 5th bullet point !

Transocean :: Health and Safety Policy Statement

This is in no way any slate on Transocean or their dedicated crews or anyone else involved in this theatre.

You want to drive your car, fuel your boat etc etc etc...You are the one who demands the oil. They get it for you.

Now grow up!

You are way out of your depth here son.

Trying to play in a game you know nothing about !

Your blame culture with communist tendancies is outmoded/outdated.

Stop whineing and get out there with a bucket and spade.

Last edited by a moderator:
that article HAD to have been written by someone working for the oil company. i read it. it sounds like an endorsement for oil spills . did you read that? i suppose if i was stupid enough to believe it- it would give me hope----i'm not.........it doesnt...... do you believe that? did you read it?

The Acnhorage Daily news is a left wing news paper, if any thing they would be anti oil.
but we have folks from Mexico and Texas here in this forum, may be we can get some input on the 1990 spill.

I dive in Prince William Sound where the Exxon Valdez spill happen 20 years ago, I never notice any thing.

Believe or not, oil sips occur naturally in nature, but on the other hand not at 50000 gallons a day one can say. But it is not that surprising that nature recovers. I was on my way back from lunch when I've heard on NPR - no question they are independent - for those who don't know NPR is National Public Radio - non profit - how Spain had recover after that 2002 spill from the Greek tanker.

i dont want them to drill for oil deeper than they can plug the hole. just because i drive a car, doesnt make me responsible. the safeguards failed and were ignored. that has nothing to do with supply and demand. that is called greed. in this case criminal greed.not just the biblical "sins" version just because they COULD drill that deep didnt mean they SHOULD.! from what i understand all of their safety plans involved prevention. they knew the pressures were so immense at that depth, there would be no way to stop it.if it actually blew out. so they set up 3 safeguards. the rubber annular ring ,(that was damaged two weeks prior with full knowledge of bp) (chunks of which were coming out of the circulating slurry from the well, all ignored) plus the two electronic shut off things, one redundant. ,(one of which also broke previously and was ignored also) and they had no plan for AFTER all those failed. nothing that was tested. they proceeded anyway. for money. not to provide some service. bullshit. it was to get rich. they pay off all the politicians, then brag that what they are doing is legal and approved. of course it was approved-with enough money anything can get approved .doesnt make it right. most of these deals were and are made in dark rooms secretly. it may be harder to do that now. i hope so. i dont want my oil from deep wells, now or ever. if you insist on doing it, do it off your coast, away from my coral reefs and sanctuaries. florida voted no to offshore drilling, but those short sighted voters in louisiana were easy targets for the oil money. after the politicians were payed off.

there is no way of reasoning with you jt :head:head:head
im not saying its not bps fault im saying its a much bigger picture i find it hard to belive you can not grasp that ... more candy ?rofl

there are arseholes lining the streets with anti bp propaganda with absolutely no clue what the f$$k they are on about, they are waisting their time.
you want somebody killed because of an accident you are just as cluless as the arseholes on the streets

the usa s hunger for oil has destabalised world peace for the last 20 years
and because the rest of the world will not stand aside next time the us and the uk see fit to go and occupy an oil rich state they are now searching closer to home drilling deeper than before.
yes your countrys oil is pissing out and making a big big mess your countrys oil which your country gives licences to big MULTI national companies ( for the odd backhander to their man in the senate) that company has subcontractors working for it, one of which suffered a catastrophe and is not able to deal with it at the click of a finger

i suggest you read a little about the bigger picture now jt please act your age or unsubscribe and go join the demo

and im not blaming obama its just that his 9/11 comments are to diplomacy what your comments are to intelligence

nite nite bud

Okay, okay. I admit it - at first I thought it was the Brits getting payback for the Boston Tea party.

But seriously, folks. I just looked at the MSN main page. Theres news about Obama's speech. News about the oils spill, news about some guy throwing a puppy at a motorcycle gang(?!) News about Bristol Palin getting back together with her boyfriend....This is America!! OUR PRIORITIES ARE F&^%$d.

How can anyone be surprised theres folks who think big-daddy is supposed to wipe their arse and make sure everything is a-okay all the time so they don't have to change one little hairy-wairy on ums preshy widdoo haid.

Then they wanna kill everybody if something breaks into the dream.

It's f@#$g embarrassing.

people who kill people and cause huge un-natural disasters, need to be punished= to the severity of their crimes. you tell ME what we should do? fine them? is that even going to ,make them think twice before doing it again OR give the victims families closure? they have more money than most countries. this is NOT par for the course. we dont NEED or WANT them drilling unsafely. just because i buy the oil they have me dependent on. doesnt make me part of this fiasco. its not as if, when deepwater horizon came online- i got some huge discount in my gas. i still paid the same - if not more for that risky gas.without any knowledge of its origins. this was greed thats caused this. not some accident. this was a simple cause and effect. cause: ignorance/greed =effect: huge oil spill, millions of people's lives ruined, 11 dead punishment=? fine? if all we can do is take their money. we need to take it all. as far as the goverment " wiping my ass for me" what would you have me do? personally inspect the oil rigs? dont you think that would be a function of government? i guess, (since this goverment is ALWAYS trying to wipe my ass for me)i expected they were already doing inspections, i mean, i know the oil companies are rich beyond belief, and i know the politicians are being paid off, but historically, they fall short of this kind of evil-negligence. even with the corrupt sytem- they normally dont do anything THIS STUPID!!hopefully, this is the end of letting these companies operate without any protections for the planet. disasters of this magnitude are not simply"par for the course" i am not nearly the only one who thinks this way. after that 60min program , you would have to either be an oil company employee, or retarded to be on their side. which are you? where do YOU get YOUR information? unless of course, you think 60min is some kind of communist program. in which case i know you are retarded

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT