• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Oiling Speargun Parts?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yes and you can use mineral oil like we do in our Meat and Seafood Market on the saws and machines. Non-toxic and biodegradable.
Hi Agbiv, are you sure mineral oil is non-toxic and biodegradeable. Isn't it just like engine oil but more refined?

UPDATE: Agbiv is, of course right. Although it is petroleum based, there is a food grade mineral oil apparently:
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_grade_mineral_oil[/ame]

For what its worth, I never oil any part of my spearguns.
Me neither. I was told when I bought my first Rob Allen not to lube the mech. - just flush it out. It's basically made out of fibre reinforced plastic (nylon? like Grivernoy?) and stainless steel. That said, I had an RA trigger mech. start locking up during reloading & firing. However RA offer "quick switch" trigger mech. cassettes which make it easy to replace them.

I would not use grease though -- from my motorcyling days I recall that it just holds every bit of grit & gunk that comes its way. If you do use it, be prepared with de-grease & re-grease periodically. I would not use 3-in-1 oil either, even though I have some (it's the general purpose oil in Britain Spaghetti - my grandfather used it to oil his push bike). It's quite thick, although not as thick as American Tenacious bike oil. I'd use it to oil squeaky door hinges. If I had to, I might use a v. light oil like WD40 or one of the cheaper alternatives. Most likely though I would try to find either a light silicone based lube (hoping it would be less likely to react with the plastics) or preferably a dry lube, such as silicone or graphite that won't hold grit.

Hey Bill, you have a fair few gongs in that picture. Kudos. The in-laws recently turned up a picture of one of their ancestors in an American civil war officers uniform, can't wait to see it. It was about to be burnt with a bunch of other old documents! Azapta, your grandpa looks very dashing, with that 'tache he could have been a Wing Commander in the RAF! I once worked with a former British Major & he looked a lot like that. Bill re. healthcare, I was v. lucky to have great health & great health insurance while working in the USA -- I was acutely aware that not everybody did though.

Re. health care. I think the NHS is, potentially, the jewel in Britain's crown, so to speak - certainly something worth fighting for. It is much better than it is portrayed in the USA, it is much less bureaucratic for a start (although perversely that is changing as they try to ape the US hospitals!) but it is far from perfect and has become worse in recent years (I blame both the Tories and New Labour for that). We also have non-families which have not worked for 3 or more generations in the UK now - the unemployed are often far better off than poorly paid workers (the "working poor"). Families have split because a single parent with child is better off on benefits than a family with poorly paid parents. It is perverse and wrong IMHO. I know some, perhaps many, people in the US work entirely or mainly for the healthcare benefits (e.g. spouses of the self-employed) - it is a powerful motivation to work. But then there are also many workers in the US that do not get healthcare (more "working poor"). That seems wrong to me too. Maybe the likes of Bill Gates could look at helping some of those closer to home? Plenty of folk in Washington State need health care.

Does anyone worry about the oil giving off a bad scent to the fish...when on a dive if using WD40 or similar? I don't think it would help (but also not a major concern).
Hadn't thought of that! I have heard WD40 proposed by anglers as a fish attractant - however I think oils tend to attract animals from the shark family (dog fish, rays...and sharks!). Mentioned it to bass guru Dr. Mike Ladle & he thought it was probably just folklore - people guessing because they use WD40 to stop their gear rusting.

Last edited:
Hey Mr X,
Interesting reply...maybe if everyone dry lubed their rob allen trigger mech, they wouldn't sell so many after market, haha.
I brought up the WD40 as a bad scent as I truely believe from my own anecdotal experience that fish hate the scent of suncream - you bait up your hooks (line fishing - use this type of fishing as a last resort:blackeye) after slapping on the suncream (unfortunately I don't tan - I go red, so use it a lot) and your bites seem to be a lot less frequent than the next guy and that seems to be the only difference.
I guess if anyone wants to use oil to play it safe and use some fish oil or vegetable oil, as least it's not petrochemical based. :head
:friday

I shoots a farter so oil is out, a good dunk, not rinse, in water (often shooting a gun with a jet of water washes the sand deeper into the mech, causing it to alt. jam/wear out faster than otherwise) As for the oil on the mech. on regular guns I about 1x/month give a squirt of CRC which is not detrimental to plastic or metal, and remember just a tiny squirt.

I guess if anyone wants to use oil to play it safe and use some fish oil or vegetable oil, as least it's not petrochemical based. :head
:friday
I used vegetable oil on my RA spear when using it regularly, so as not to taint the fish. But fish & veg. oils degrade pretty quickly and go rancid, so not good for long term use & I wouldn't use it in the trigger mech. because it would probably leave solid gunk when it goes off. I do mix vegetable with the petrol in my strimmer/weedwacker sometimes though, if I don't have 2-stroke oil. Somebody told me their son ran his Ford Transit van on vegetable oil when it was on sale in Lidls - would love to know if that is really possible. It is often cheaper than petrol & diesel these days.

Re. RA, they replaced the mech. for free (5 year warranty) although replacements are(/were) quite reasonably priced. Good company.

Pardon my ignorance SettingSteel but what is a farter - a pneumatic speargun? CRC?

...90% of my dives are shore dives with VERY fine sand that gets everywhere. ... and after some dives i even take the trigger mechanism appart and use an old toothbrush to get sand out of the mechanism...
Ditto re. sand. Hadn't thought about removing the trigger mech. for cleaning (was told it is unnecessary - albeit by a boat spearo) but now having replaced the mech - it was surprisingly easy on the RA - I would consider removing & giving the mech. a really good flush. Was surprised to find 4 mini pebbles fall out of the trigger mech. of my RA some weeks after bathing it and flushing it thoroughly. The Omers get sand in the mechs. too -- and I'm real careful to keep them out of the sand on the beach, this comes, I think, when you enter & exit the water. Mishu, what sort of gun do you use the WD40 on?

Some angling boats use WD40 in the groundbait and on hookbaits...I'd be more worried that it might damage wetsuits.
Oil - and I think WD40 probably has some even more volatile parts designed to evapourate off - probably can degrade neoprene BUT neoprene is highly resistant to degradation from oil. In fact it is used for washers and safety shoes soles because of its resistance to oil. In the infamous lube discussion thread, some folk suggested using mineral oil and the like as a lube to put spearo wetsuits on.

UPDATE: Agbiv is, of course right. Although it is petroleum based, there is a food grade mineral oil apparently:
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_grade_mineral_oil[/ame]
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil[/ame]

Last edited:
Mr.X,
i use WD 40 on all of my guns. the main problem with the sand is that we dive reefs that have a very sandy bottom, so at any point in time we leave our guns on the seabed while we go up for air. and then you get my little brother who often drags them around on the beach to the car, which is also parked in the sand... sand gets everywhere no matter how carefull you are. but to answer your question, i use wd-40 on everygun that hits the water. i dont have problems with the sand sticking. its just that is very easy for it to build up in my trigger mechanisms. i primarily shoot Rabitech and Freedivers

Farter=pneum, CRC is a light oil kinda like WD-40, but is not detrimental to plastic.

"Somebody told me their son ran his Ford Transit van on vegetable oil when it was on sale in Lidls - would love to know if that is really possible. It is often cheaper than petrol & diesel these days." QUOTE

Hey Mr X,
Good points on the vege oil. Fish oil also seems to leave a sticky residue, guess that's why it is so good as an anti corrosive - but bad for triggers.

One of my customers runs a nissan patrol on fish and chip oil (some sort of vege oil) and all he does is put a strainer through it, his hilux he separates it and turns it into a fuel as it has a more advanced engine. I think our loaders running kubota diesels can operate on pure canola oil.

doesn't anyone here know that Wd-40 is a de-greaser? its like the opposite of oiling something. it will get it cleaned off but if you don't put something else into whatever you wd-40'd it will just wear out because without any oil its just metal on metal.

anyways, thanks for all the responses guys, it was real interesting to read!

well, i guess if that's what the website says...

but still, have you ever cleaned something off with wd-40? it is obviously a solvent, lubricants just don't clean things that way. So i've always used wd-40 to clean stuff out and then put some real oil or grease or whatever into the newly cleaned thing to keep it going.

Hey irtrogdor,
I know what you are saying - it acts as a solvent, one of its used it that it cleans labels off. I guess it has a solvent that doesn't react with the thin oil in it that acts as the lubricant?
You would think that the solvent and lubricant would react with each other and you would end up with any lubrication, but its not a heavy duty lube, just very light.
Cheers bud :friday

I use WD40 & similar products (Shimano produce some v. good lubes if you can find them at reasonable prices - got mine from Nashbar in the USA some years ago) on my clipless pedals (esp. spd pedals) every time I take a bike out because it cleans off accumulated gunk while offering some light protection & lubrication that should not hold much gunk/grit. I don't expect it to stay on long once the going gets tough though.

Years ago I watched a mountain bike race organised by a friend in Chicago during the winter. Everybody with spd-style pedals failed to finish because they became little ice-balls on the end of the crank shafts.

Reactions: agbiv
Wisely put question arose regarding white mineral oil. The mineral oil I am referring to is a food grade mineral oil.

It is "Refined by ultra high pressure hydro treatment to food grade with the highest degree of purity. Stabilized with vitamin E oxidation inhibitor, 100% active, that exceeds the requirements set for in U.S. FDA regulations 21 CFR (ad nausium)....for use in and on food for human consumption;..and as a component of nonfood articles intended for for use in contact with food for human consumption. This oil surpasses current standards of the National Formulary (NF). Registered as 3H and H1 for direct and incidental food contact by NSF for use in food plants under the jurisdiction of the USDA. Kosher certified."

We use on band saws, grinders, table slides, and mist to prevent flash rusting. Also lube the heck out of wheels & pivot bearing on lugger carts in wet environs.

I wouldn't drink it though. A certain DB member, whom I hold in very high esteem, owes me pint for pulling out the cheaters (bifocals) to read the small print on the MSDS. :blackeye

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Hey X, what happened to your RA trigger Mech? just bought and used first time yesterday a RA 110 Vecta (i think). my arms are still hurting from trying to load it!

Hey X, what happened to your RA trigger Mech? just bought and used first time yesterday a RA 110 Vecta (i think). my arms are still hurting from trying to load it!
Man-up buddyrofl...kidding aside them bands are beasts, my son found a 100cm (blue bands) and dang their a work out in and of itself

irtrogdor i agree with you we use WD-40 at our work if sometimes my hands get oily from diesel engine i clean them with WD-40 insted of petrol but also i use it for lubricating my trigger mechanism because i never knew that the material of the trigger is stainless steel so i thought it could be rusty(WD-40 mainly used for rust removing). CRC we use in electrical circuits cleaning i am not sure how good it will be in cleaning the gun!!!

greasing will make the surface water proof but in sandy places it will make the sand to stick to the system. Best way is to remove the whole system clean it in case of sand or salt and dry it fix it back...

Yes they can be a bear. You never hear the SA spearos complain though - perhaps nothing to compare it to?! The 20mm bands esp. I think the lack of loading butt is a factor (perhaps psychological as well as physical) - perhaps technique and/or body shape too, I get badly bruised upper abs. if I don't wear a second loading pad under the rather thin Elios one. It's definitely worth being careful, a hurried reload will be self-punishing. Of course, once you've been bruised it gets more painful and you get more bruised with each reload (I was black & blue after a week of spearing with it a couple of years ago) - which makes it harder to fully commit to a quick, accurate load. I'll go back to a 16mm band when this one wears out (if it ever does!) - RA or Dessault.

Yes, the new trigger mech. was easy to fit thanks. I've only used it once since and it worked fine, actually it was a little light & released a little prematurely on a bass - might have just been me getting used to it I suppose. The design has changed somewhat and it feels lighter & crisper but a little less solid feeling. I did get a nice big mullet with it that day though.

Agbiv, I'll put a pint aside for your poor tired eyes (I know the feeling!).

Saleh, I was going to say "isn't WD40 bad for you" but then remembered that the main hand cleaner over here, Swarfega, was found to be carcinogenic several decades ago. But as a friend pointed out, you wash that off with soap & water afterwards, and it is probably better for you than a whole load of used engine oil!

Last edited:
indeed, I am a skinny type, but quite resilient and suborn:martial In this case my gun has the 2 x 16mm rubbers, loading the first is fine, but the second to the second notch a piece of crap. I brought home two fish on the first outing though

the trigger is "ok" but still nothing compares to the Omer Cayman trigger, really a treat, 18 months old, battle scared and freezer load of fish later.

Criminey! As a young man we painted warehouse floors with polyurethane and washed tools with toluene and also our arms, faces around masks, etc. Then it came out this caused cancer. Haven't grown a third eyeball or anything but we did discontinue use. :blackeye Senior X I'll hold you to that when I visit "Merry Old" one day! :friday

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…