• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Old Salvimar Predathor, couldn’t reload after a shot.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Most Salvimar users change the original piston and shock absorber by Mares. Apparently, they are better quality.
You mean they replace the salvimar piston with a mares piston? Any specific model or do they all fit?

Yes. Just take off the Salvi piston and install a Mares. Just make sure you order the 13 mm piston.

This one:

Edo sub would charge too much to ship to the USA. Thank you for the advice. It looks like that most pistons for mares available for shipping are made by salvimar. I will buy some spares and change them every couple of years.
in the USA a lot spearfishing gear is often 2 or 3 times as expensive than in Europe, and with less availability.
Some masks that cost 25 euros here are sold for 80 US dollars. The markup is very high.
altnough there are sales an discounts occasionally.
according to Salvimar the Race kit piston is made at a higher standard.

Plastic pistons today are generally composed of two types. There are pistons with a machined plastic body where the metal mushroom tail is a separate item screwed and glued into the plastic body and often carries a sealing ring in addition to those located in grooves machined into the plastic. The other type is the moulded piston where the molten plastic is injected into a moulding die with the metal tail already clamped in the die. The metal tail has inner flanges that the plastic flows around to embed it permanently in the plastic body and only a metal shank emerges from the plastic.

Mares pistons are moulded and have a ring of tiny bumps on the piston nose where it aligns on the shock absorber anvil, so that definitely confirms that they are moulded. Interestingly when Omer copied this idea they had the bumps sit on the anvil which is a recipe for breaking something, they should sit in the aperture, not on the anvil shoulder, although the gaps thus created can let trapped water out in vacuum barrel guns (as there are no muzzle ports).

Machined plastic pistons can have stresses created depending on how quickly that they are churning them out and this may account for heavily ringbarked pistons snapping. Ideally the groove bottom should have radiused edges and not sharp corners. The idea of these annular troughs is to hold grease and reduce piston weight, but oil lubrication in the gun makes this unnecessary and the weight reduction is trivial.

Moulded pistons should carry no stresses once the moulding conditions are fully sorted out. Pelengas moulded pistons busted until they figured it out. Mares has made their pistons of plastic for many decades, but I don’t really like their ringbarked pistons. There may be an argument for grease trough pistons in “dry” pneumovacuum guns, but Mares don’t make any.

Reactions: stefpix
Most Salvimar users change the original piston and shock absorber by Mares. Apparently, they are better quality.
Most pistons I see available online are only the salvimar ones. Anyway a store in Miami services pneumatics and changes all the O rings for $65, including shipping which for the USA it is pretty good.
may do it in the future.
will see what I can do on my own.

Thanks. The do not ship to the USA. I can ask the distributor. Next time I go to Italy to see my family, I will stock up on some parts. The mark up and availability in the USA is a drag.

Thanks. The do not ship to the USA. I can ask the distributor. Next time I go to Italy to see my family, I will stock up on some parts. The mark up and availability in the USA is a drag.
I totally agree. Sometimes is cheaper to buy from an Italian store and pay the shipping than buy in a USA store. Crazy!

Reactions: stefpix
I totally agree. Sometimes is cheaper to buy from an Italian store and pay the shipping than buy in a USA store. Crazy!
Last time I went to Milan, I shopped at Decathlon. It is amazing the selection they have. The quality is comparable at REI stores in the USA, but the prices are cheaper than low end store brands at Walmart or Target in the USA. For dicing/spearfishing the markup is so high. Masks that go for 30 Euros sell for 84 dollars in the USA. I have seen that the Salvimar, C4 distributor in the USA, Maverick America is more reasonable with the markup. a C4 Plasma mask is $45 at European stores, $52 here (although here they mark up more the camo or mirror lenses versions $18 more rather than $/€10 more).
marker buoys floats also have a huge difference, and in the USA there is not as a good selection

Reactions: marco15499
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT