• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Olympus MJU770

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

stuckinsurrey

Aquatic Deviant
May 10, 2006
Olympus MJU770

Anybody got one or know anybody with one? Sounds like quite a clever/tough camera and no need for a housing down to 10m. Am quite tempted but would love to hear whether anybody has tried one. They are new to the market so maybe a bit early.

Cheers,
Jim

Hi, I have the quite similar MJU725SW, which can go down to 5 meters. (i.e. bottom of the pool not for outdoor/deeper usage). It's a very handy camera indeed though I can not fully advice it. For pool-usage (dynamics technique for instance) the lens doesn't offer enough wide coverage so you have to get more distance (so more floating particles and less light) between you and the subject.

The video's are 16 instead of 25fps, color balance is not selectable for video's, zooming is not possible during filming (only before and after). The pictures are quite soft and less saturated than most would like from a consumer camera. (postprocessing each picture becomes a drag quickly). The camera should IMO not be equiped with this 7.1MP sensor, but with a higher quality 5-6MP sensor which would hopefully also have less noise in low-light situations.

On the other hand it is lots of fun throwing the camera in the pool to a buddy. Woke him up very quickly! ;-)

Reactions: stuckinsurrey
Jim stop yer arseing around and just buy one you rich git.:) :)
What with all that scrap from your last job you could probably afford the whole Olympus factory.rofl

Looks like that's exactly the camera I've been looking for. It's damn small, compact, waterproof to 10m and relatively cheap for all it's features.

Hmm... might be quite a good choice as I plan to start with uw photography sometime.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 147
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Reactions: kmo
I bit the bullet and bought one last week, will try it out soon and let you know how it goes! Thanks for the replies!
Jim

Looking to get an olympus mju770 or similar, notice a few posts on here about them and some other cam's such as Fuji that's recommended. I'm about to embark on a 4 month expedition to Borneo which will involve hot humid conditions and trekking and diving so the crushproof and waterproof functionality seems appropriate though I read that the mju770 is a little feature poor. I'm no expert photographer but am a keen amateur and have done some basic photography at college for a year so am able to just about manage an SLR, yet space and conditions prevent my spending out a huge amount on an SLR and housing at this time.

Let me know what you think of the cam.

Much appreciated
Marie

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Seems pretty good. I like the idea that is crushproof ( means I can walk around with it in a jeans pocket no prob) Havnt had a chance to use in the water yet. Picture quality seems ok. If I manage to get in within the next few days I'll post piccies.

Andy

yeah, i havent managed to get it properly wet yet either - visibility has always been a bit rubbish so have resisted! Have taken it out in the rain - not quite the same - but kinda reassuring that it wont do it any harm. It does seem a pretty tough little camera and photos have come out fine with it.

I bought one and love it. Its the first digital camera I've had though, I'm not too sure how it compares to a similarly priced camera that doesn't go in the water.

I'm rough on gear, so the best features for me are that its drop proof and waterproof.

It certainly isn't much of a video camera though. I tried to do a slow pan around a beautiful panorama the other day and it came out shocking as the light changed. It still fun to take it underwater and shoot film of little fish when I can't go spearing.

Its great to have in the boat for fish photos. The big screen is good, in someways its better than my laptop for showing photos.

It takes pretty good lowlight photos for sunsets and that sort of stuff.

I've attached two photos taken with it.
One of a mate Brad with a nice dhu fish. The vis wasn't perfect that day so there are a few particles in view.
The other is a sunset in the Philippines.
I haven't touched either photo with photoshop, I've just compressed them using outlook express to post them.

Cheers,
Cameron

Attachments

• 200704140030.JPG
    200704140030.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 192
  • P6060246.JPG
    P6060246.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: SanderP
Hey Cameron, thanks for the reply, and the photos are great, yeah seems like there is an option for every eventuality and you don't have to reset each time the cam is switched off (as long as you remember to change it when needed). I actually bit the bullet and bought one yesterday, used it for the first time last night in my farewell party and thought it was a good idea to test the waterproofness by submerging the cam into a pint of beer LOL, oh how my friends freaked and I laughed !!! hahahaha so funny, anyway apart from a smudge on the first photo after the beer, which I wiped away, the cam is still fully operable so I guess it's gonna get some abuse in Borneo for 4 months now...... Having used digi cams before my first impressions are that it seems robust and solid with no sticking out buttons, I notice a delay in the flash though that might be the settings and also some blurred shots again that may be the settings or my beer goggles last night!

Thanks again.

Re: Olympus MJU770
what depths have these been reported to go to? I know the limit is stated at 10, but would it go more?? Thanks

Maybe they can go deeper but that will void your warranty.
The person selling me this camera told me it has a depth sensor build in. My camera broke in the 5m pool, 5 meter was the max depth for this type so I hope the depth sensor is accurate :)

Hi Sander,

I will post more soon. I've been having a little trouble getting the photos off my camera onto my computer.

I recently had a little bit of water enter the camera. I was suprised since I hadn't had it below a couple of metres that day. I'm travelling at the moment, so I haven't had a chance to try to claim it on warranty. Hopefully it will be no trouble. It took some nice photos before it started to play up from the moisture, but its still running with a few oddities.

This is one more from the same day as Brad's dhu fish. Its me with a samson fish. It has been reduced in size from 1MB to 36kb, so its not quite the quality that it was.

Attachments

• Sambo -smaller.JPG
    Sambo -smaller.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 168
Finally got some photos off the camera. They turned out better than I expected. :)
Note: They've been shrunk too.

Attachments

• P7080502.JPG
    P7080502.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 163
  • P7080522.JPG
    P7080522.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 161
  • P7080523.JPG
    P7080523.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 166
  • P7080540.JPG
    P7080540.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 168
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT