• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

OMER Alluminium

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Originally posted by Pekka
As you have been talking about the OMER Aluminium I suppose yours is the 100cm one, right?

Well I am equally impressed by my 75cm one.. last sunday I was spearing at reef just offshore.. about -6m or so, fairly good viz in English standards about 3m-5m at the bottom.
As I was waiting at the bottom for fish to appear I see this ghost..the kind of fish that doesn't want to come close but stays at a distance you know the kind. I have shot couple of times at fish at this distance and always got nothing, but again I thought I'll try..
I took aim and followed the fish and shot it (the trigger is really sensitive:)) and as I got to ake good look at the fish I was that the spear had only penetrated the other side of the fish, so the very tip of the spear just barely came through from the other side.... that was longshot in my book.. especially with that gun.. so trhee cheers for OMER Aluminium guns.. by the way the fish was 3pound Sea Bass..

Good hunting to you all
Pekka

Yeah its 100 cm gun. Congrat on your 3lbs see bass.
I joined one of the local spearing club. Sunday i will enter my first competiton. Every club will establish two team with 4-5 competitor. One for shore less than 7 meter deep for small fishes like spinefoots, sargos, parrotfishes. The other team will search for big groupers, AJ and anything else in deeper spots. I am in shallow water team. I will have the opportunity test my gun again with a reel and slightly bent shaft.;) But i will have the opportunity to meet some of great divers and make some chatting...

Originally posted by shaneshac
I caught my fair share of sea bass with my omer before i returned it to the factory. Waiting for October for the Big ones to start arriving.

Did you ordered bigger Alluminium to replace with picasso?

Originally posted by tuomo
It seems like we'll be buying a bigger omer alumnium for Pekka from here ( Finland ) since the prices for omer guns are in my opinion extremely good here. Anyhow for us all omer alumnium guns have exactly same price tag, and therefore we could order as big gun as needed. However i dont know wheter we should get a 110, 120 or even 130?
The price we'd have to pay for those is 150 €, which in my opinion is very good price.

Thanks for help.

Tuomo

Someday i'll move to a country where there is fish in the water..

150 euro???? How this gonna happens?? I paid 250:waterwork

Originally posted by Murat
150 euro???? How this gonna happens?? I paid 250:waterwork

Our omer dealer has very good prices here. Only problem is that our sea is nowhere close to mediterraen or any other sea, but the baltic sea is propably the most polluted sea in the world. Not much of a spearos paradise..

Good luck for the competetion.

Tuomo

TOUMO AND PEKKA
I think the 110cm gun will be plenty big enough for 3-5 m vis and most fish it is long enough if you get too long a gun you wont see the end of the gun in 3m, I have a 1.3m gun with a 1.8m spear and with about 60cm from my eye to the trigger (arm length) it is 2.4m to the end of the spearso I can only see 60cm from end of spear .2.5m vis = very frustrating.
Regards Peter

Thanks for reply. I have found the same problem here with my 75 alumnium when its really bad. But it is very likely that this bigger gun would not be used here. Propably in UK, and where ever Pekka or I decide to go. ;)
Last year we went spearing to norway using only 75 cm alumniums, and we did fine. But there were times there too when we could have used whole lot more range and power.

I agree that 110 would be fairly reasonable size, but i'd be tempted to go for the 120, ( You newer know when you need the range and the power.. ;) ).

Regards Tuomo

In my opinion three gun size ideal for all european spearfishing. 75, 100 (carbon), 120 or 130 (carbon).

Murat,

Thanks for that picture. Thats what I'm looking for:D :D

The dentex was moving too fast at a distance and It did not gove me time to track and shoot whilst it was in range.

I exchanged the Omer 100 for the Picasso 110.

I am waiting for September for the Big Sea Bass to arrive. I am not waiting for any other Omer guns.

Ordered a pair of BAT30 fins though.

How much is that bat fins? Did you liked century picasso more than omer alluminium?

The BAT fins are about 170 Euros but I got a pair of Sporasub PURE for 70 EUro and they have done a straight swap.

I prefer the Picasso because it is completely neutral and you need no effort to keep the muzzle up when doing aspetto. FOr some reason it does not shoot sometimes.

YEsterday I found myself face to face with a large grouper, I aimed in between the eyes and the trigger mech locked up.I got to the surface and had to unload and reload the gun. SOmetimes when I pull the band back form the first to the second notch the spear unhooks itself from the trigger mech and I have to release the band slowly and reload the gun completely. So the Omer was more reliable.

I hope that answers you question

Hey Shane,

What you think about that weight belt issue? Should i try it or not? May be i should try it later the comp. coz i will have no time to set the correct weight, comp. is tommorrow. But i don't want to loose fishes coz of the absence the weight belt. It just scares me a bit to give it a first try in comp.

Use a small weight and ditch it somewhere if you don't like it. You can always pick it up when the comp finishes.

One thing I do when fishing in shallow water is grab a rock with my free hand. THis allows me to stay close to the bottom and you can always let go before surfacing.

Normally the golden rule is not to try anything new in competitions but as your fishing in relatively shallow water I suggest you give the above a try. Let me know how you do and I wish you the best of luck.

One thing I do when fishing in shallow water is grab a rock with my free hand. THis allows me to stay close to the bottom and you can always let go before surfacing.

I don't have enough weights for my diving.. I need kelp and big rocks so I can get a hold of something and pull myslef on the bottom.. I found that if you adjust your weight belt really low it will make your legs sink quicker and gives you a better position for shooting sooner..

poacher, I am already quite frustrated by my 75cm gun... I need quite good hideing place to spear fish with that... 120cm would allow me to shoot fish at places where now I can only admire the size of the fishes because they are too far and won't come closer.. viz here can be quite good.. around 5-8m, so it should be alright :)

Pekka

We had more than 30 meter visibility in the comp. The captain in my team said he saw his 13.5kg grouper from the surface in his previous dive. It was already in 32-33 meter deep.:cool:

Ayway do you have problems with tose 6.3mm shafts??? They are accurate fast but bent really easily. After several shoots to the rocks it bent on the middle and front. I managed to fixed the middle but couldn't fix the front.

Bending shafts

Thats the reason why a thicker shaft like a 7mm or even 8mm is more popular here in Australia.

If you can, try getting a freedivers shaft or a RobAllen shaft. Both are extremely tough and don't bend. After shooting numerous rocks and fish in caves my shafts are fine. Blunt, but straight...;)

The standard euro shaft is a joke really.. so soft it whips real easy, and too easy to bend.

Hey Shadow,

But 7mm shaft is too slow for those fast moving soft fleshed fish. Probably i will give try to ss 6.5mm shafts.

Try the picasso ones. Those are very hard.

Yesteday a 15 kilo grouper bent my omer shaft at right angles. I shot it at point blank range in between the eyes with 20mm bands and the shaft did not penetrate past the flopper. I then lost the fish in a cave after it had fu***cked up my shaft.

Its long way to go to the picasso shop. May be i should try cressi they have strong shaft also. Don't understand why omer using spring steel for shafts. I prefer my shaft to be straight. If its break after several hundreds shoots, no problem i can change it with no doubt. But those 6.3mm shafts bents after several shoots and it seems impossible to straightened it perfectly. Its just hassle nothing more. I hope omer starts to produce more heavy duty shafts with same design property.

I just noticed that end of the omer 6.3mm spear is trapezoidal shaped not rounded. Can i put other brands or even other model omer spears on Alluminium gun?

You can use other shafts on your Alluminum. I like the way the Omer 6.3 mm shoots so I only use it for Aspetto where I don't usually encounter rocks or big grouper.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT