• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

OMER Alluminium

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey Shaca,

My gun is 100 cm with power 18 bands and reel 30. Just ideal gun for aspetto. But you know, when i saw those sorgo i can't withstand against theirs delicous meat. I will buy 75 cm gun soon for that kind of fishes.

BTW did you get Bat fins? How they perform?

Do guys know where I can buy an Omer Alluminium online. it looks like an awesome gun. I'm looking at getting one 75cm in lenght then get a 90cm later in the future!

BladeRunner

Cliff Etzel just stated in
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?threadid=37320
that omer does not have any online stores, but they are supporting their retailers.
Yep alumnium is a very good gun. We're all omer here in Finland since omer products are sold here with very reasonable prices.

Got to use my alu yesterday, visibility was bad as allways, but i managed to shoot two fish anyhow. ;)

Tuomo

That's the problem there are no Omer retailers in my area I live in the in Georgia in the US. The only place that sales anything that deals with freediving or euro spear guns is 10+ hours drive away!

BladeRunner OUT

Hi Blade Runner,

I take advantage of a high and dry Saturday morning from diving, I'm actually headed to the mountains instead this afternoon for a change, to gladly reply to your inquiry and tell you about a couple new developments Omer is making on the topic of guns.

As far as online e-commerce dealers who sell our products at discounts online are concerned we have Pirate Scuba's spearfishinggear.com out of Ocean City Md. 800 539 9597 and on the West Coast Blue Water Hunter 800 452 6696 www.blueh20.com as well as Hana Pa' Hawaii in Hawaii 800 274 0482. They're all equally knowledgeable operations as they share the same passion and excitement for the sport as their customers.

The Alluminum speargun is a brainchild product of a 3 time Italian spearfishing champion whose technical knowledge of spearguns has made the gun well suited for a similar frame of minded diver whereas it's less suited for other types of divers. In particular it seems to be very well liked in Hawaii and the North East where agile and precise spearguns with a very sensitive trigger mech. seem to possess an edge in local spearfishing conditions, competitions, and stalking quick and shy game. On the other hand I think its careful characteristics are not as well suited for novices and rugged rough and tough divers who are tough on their equipment and punish their equipment on a regular basis. The Excalibur on the other hand is a more economical version of the Alluminum's principle more adept as an introductory model simple style aluminum european band gun that fits a more general use and budget. It's not to say it can handle smaller fish only by any means as just two days ago two fairly novice 2nd season divers in my dive club shot a 50lb and a 78lb amberjack with 75cm Excaliburs with 6.5mm shafts with one pair of 16mm rubbers…One stoned one of the mules and the other ended up with a nice big fish and a pretzeled Tahitian 6.5mm.

Omer therefore has always had two styles of speargun lines for this general dual category "genra" of hunters, one the Excalibur/Alluminum line and the other the new T-20 and MB line of the past. The former is a lighter weapon with a more sensitive trigger mechanism and low profile design while the later MB and new T-20 is a beefier and more rugged speargun with fewer curves in the locking mechanism sear to withstand a higher band load and a more square and robust handle design. It also has an index finger positioned safety as well as a slightly larger more comfortable loading butt. The construction of the handle and muzzle is 66% fiberglass and compared to the former MB handle has a line release integrated in the side of the handle independent of the trigger mech. It's available in a standard aluminum barrel version(T-20) as well as a carbon fiber version (Millenium)depending on the preference of the hunter. Under heavy load with more than the stock factory load (ex. two pairs of 18mm bands) the trigger mechanism shows no sign of change in the sensitivity of the pull. This is important in that it won't cause the hunter to exert more pressure than necessary on the trigger consequently causing the gun to jerk and change the aim on these lighter carefully more balanced spearguns…Both gun lines have specific integrated mounts in the handle for the Alluminum 50 and 30 reels.

I hate to sound like an infomercial but this seems like an open minded forum so what the heck, if you are interested in the new guns I should let you know that they are a bit hard to come by as our only supplies went immediately to stores like Hana Pa Hawaii and Maui Sporting Goods in Hawaii in 100cm+ sizes only and we're already out. They'll be more readily available soon I hope.

Hope I haven't drowned you with too much information but I appreciate your excitement and interest and am always pleased to share any information or feedback I can, wishing you happy hunting and clear waters, ciao,

Mark Labccetta
OMER USA

Hi Mark,

I am very glad that i see you in the form. I have couple qestion to you. Of course i am not an American costumer but i know you will help me as you did before.;)

I treat my gun better than myself. You can't even imagine how its difficult to buy gun here. I waited two month for my Alluminium 100, almost half of the summer is gone. :waterwork Now i am waiting for 6.3mm shafts to come to stock. Only three Alluminium gun came to island via offical distributer. I am happy to owned one.

I bent my shaft after several rock shot. You know those spinefoots and sorgos, they like to hang around the rocks. There is no 6.3mm shaft in stock so i have straight my shaft. It bend at the front and at the middle/back. I can correct middle/back part but after one shoot it bend again. Sometimes i correct the rear part but meanwhile i damage the middle part.:duh But the main problem is the front, its seems not possible to make it perfect. Is there any comercial omer tools or something that can straight my shaft like unused?

Second question, if i ever want to add double pair of 16mm top energy bands to my 100 cm gun will the handle ressist this stress without any problem? Or is it cause any flex on the 6.3-6.5mm shaft that can harm the accuracy???

Take care...
Happy hunting to all....

Hi again Murat , I have also bayed Omer aluminium gun 110 , I have chosen this length because bigger size have bigger size made off carbon , my gun have 1,85 ( C4 Monoscocca have 3 mm :) ) and comes with 18 mm bands . I have tried alluminium 90 with one pair off normal 16 bands with circular 16 mm bands and shoot was precise :) . I have bayed gun without omer spear because omer spars are very sensitive on touch . My advice is buy another spear like made off Picasso , Demka or Devoto ( have 6,3 mm shaft ) . Use 6,5 mm shaft if you can not find 6,3 mm shaft .

Have a nice day .

Hi Kantar,

Yeah both C4 and Totem is exceptional guns among the euro guns. If you look theirs prices and time requires to produce one...
But since they are not mass product gun they don't have international dealers. Ok, may be C4 have some but we don't have them both here.

So you use one pair of 16mm and another circular 16mm on 90cm gun? What was the shaft, 6.3 omer? We don't have demka or devoto here. Picasso is too far. But if i can't solve the problem with omer shafts i have to try picasso. Do they have 6.3mm? Do you have any links to demka or devoto shafts?

Take care...

I have tried 90 now I am using 110 model . Buy Picasso spear it worth every coin but they don’t have 6,3 mm only 6,5 and 6 mm , use 6,5 mm ( they are made of stainless steel 190 kg/cm2 , Devoto 200 kg/cm2 and Demka 210 kg/cm2 ) they are good for cave hunting . Demka and Devoto as far I know don’t have internet address .

Have a nice fishing day !

"Of course i am not an American costumer but i know you will help me as you did before."

Murat, well well-you're not an American customer but you're an excited one that's for sure so I can try...

I treat my gun better than myself. You can't even imagine how its difficult to buy gun here. I waited two month for my Alluminium 100, almost half of the summer is gone.

I feel your pain don't worry, we go through the same waiting for new stuff to arrive sometimes.

The answer to your questions:

1. To straiten a shaft the simplest method I've always used is to lay the shaft on a flat table leaving the front of the shaft with the barb off the edge of the flat surface. Roll the shaft on the table and watch for the highest point between the shaft and the surface of the table. This is where the biggest bend in the shaft is.

Take a felt tip black marker and as you notice these bends mark the top of the shaft directly over the bend with a spot. Put the shaft in a vice grip and bend it in the opposite direction of the black spot you marked. Don't bend too hard, small adjustments and bends are all it usually takes to straiten it.

2. You can add a second pair of 16mm bands also called circular band to the muzzle of your alluminum with no problems of flex, shaft bend etc...

The problem is that for a 6.3mm shaft too much extra power is overkill because shooting sargos near rocks will result in more bent shafts when you miss. The thin shaft doesn't need two bands to shoot fast and at small fish. Get a shorter pair of 16mm bands or thicker 18mm bands to replace the Top Energy bands. Even these are more than enough for the occasional amberjack/lirio/ricciola and occasional grouper/cernia/merou (however they are called there) you might run into in the Med 10-15ft from the tip of your 100.

Ciao, Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your answers. Yesterdsay i shoot one sargo and i bent my shaft more heavily. It bent just from the beneath of the flopper. I apply counter force to that point of spear with my hands and knee but it didn't straightened. I always found that if the spear bent from front its not easy to fix it by hands. May be i need some tool or hammer?

My Allum. 100 has power 18 bands on it which works perfect with 6.3mm spear. As you said, even if you don't miss the sorgo, shaft penetrate and struck the rocks... so same result. I will buy Excalibur 75 2000 for sorgos hunting. But they are just out of stock. They will come in the same party with extra spears. So i have to wait both for extra 6.3 shafts and 75 excalibur. I will use 6mm spear which i assume stronger than 6.3 coz they are generally not spring steel like 6.3mm. Probably 75 will come with top energy bands i just subtitute 6.5 shaft with 6mm. May be i can buy one cm shorter bands in case of average grouper.:)

Hi again !

I advice you to be careful, because grouper is a strong fish with big muscles body and normal 75 gun has no power for that even with little shorter band, remember if you cut your bands you will loose on precise.
My advice is for cave hunting : 75 gun with 20 mm bands and 6,5 or 7 mm spear .

By

How Quiet is the OMER Alluminium. I havea 90cm Sporasub Aspic and it's pretty quiet. I bought a 75cm Picasso twin and thought I could use this as my primary spear gun but it's just to damn heavy. After a long day of shooting your four arm would hurt. It's
shooting a heavy barrels pistol at times. IT's pretty accurate speargun but it's really noisy, it would always surprise when I shot it. You can forget about making a leading shot on a moving fish. To much hanging off this gun creates drag big time. A 75cm Alluminium seems like what I'm looking for. I hope it's fast, light gun with good power. I hope it's good rugid gun, I'm not rough on my gear at all. What Mark the Omer Rep that post here said kinda makes me question how long the gun would last after years of regular use. The 75cm is good size for viz I dive in with the fresh water I'm diving. I like short to medium range ambush hunting the best so a 75cm speargun fits the job! I love to here some performance reviews you guys might have on tge Alluminium.

I've already purchased a 75cm and hope it's here by Labor day weekend for a long weekend of testing ;)

BladeRunner OUT

Last edited:
Hey Blade,

The size issue depends your needs. But my 100 is fast and light enough even for fast moving small med sea fishes. 75 should be much better. ;) I did not heard any annoying noise while shooting with it. Basically all carbon euro guns should be quiet. But anyway gun shoots extremely fast/accurate with power 18 bands and 6.3mm spear, very sensitive trigger helps also.
I saw twin gun on the net but in my opinion its not very usefull and safe. Having second shoot chance should not be an advantage in spearfishing. Most of the time you have enough difficulty to find an opportunity for first shoot. When will you use second shoot? For kill shot??? What kind of fish will you hunt with euro guns that needs secong shoot? Even if that fish is big enough to need second shoot it will probably take the gun off your hand so you will not able to do it.Does 75 cm gun needs second shoot. I don't think so, probably second shoot will not be as accurate as first since the shaft is benath the barell. BTW how do you aim when using second shaft? Do you rotate it? I think second shaft cause excess weight, trouble maker shooting line and so......

I really think 75cm alluminium suits better to you. I don't want to piss off your gun. As i said before i did not use that gun before but this what i see from the picture of the gun and think about the consept. I glad to hear your comment since you are the original user of the gun.:)

Hi blade.

I have a 75 alumnium and i havent had any problems with it beeing too noisy. It's not totally silent but the noise isn't too bad. It is very light and accurate gun and i like it very much. I think that it would suit your purposes well. I've had mine for about one year now and i havent noticed any wearing except for the bands. You should however note that this gun will not handle a massive amount of power,( the accuracy will suffer ), but instead is meant to be used with a lighter and faster shaft and less power. But you wouldnt be using 75 gun to anything that would need that much power anyhow. Trigger mech as Murat said, is very sensible and works like a dream.
Hope you'll like yours as much as i do mine.

Tuomo

Does the Alluminium come with enough shooting line to do a double rap and does it come with a shock cord bungee. I like a double rap because like extra line on my gun!

BladeRunner OUT

I don't know how its in US but in here it comes with low quality nylon (I guess) line with crimps. I did not opened it to see what its length coz i don't like to use loop design knot back on my spear. I also think that steel crimps may damage the barell. I don't think these guns needs double wraps. If you want extra line when hunting deep waters to retrive your gun from bottom while grouper stuck in the cave with shaft in it, you can use reel. But of course it makes your gun more negative bouyant, more heavy, less manuver. but those new reel operate really smooth only problem is sometimes it roll the line to wrong place and it stuck, standart line on it is less quality either but better than previous thin white reel lines. If you be carefull with it, you like it.

Oh i forgot....

In here gun does not come with shock cord bungie. We don't have them here any shock cord. Generally we use simple elastic material. But if you can find one for euro gun just buy it. It makes your shoting line tight, so your line will not make you much trouble wihle loading and moving. It also does not slip in front of the notch. If this happens i gurantee that it will cut your shooting line (of course if you are using kevlar or something like that). It will also prevent some amount of tearing fish away.

Murat,

Are you sure that its the metal crimps damaging your barrel or is it the shaft itself.

I always get marks on my barrel and I though they were caused by the shaft.

I've covered my Picasso barrel with tape to stop this.

What method do you use to attach the shaft?

Shane

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT