• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

OMER Alluminium

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Originally posted by shaneshac
Murat,

Are you sure that its the metal crimps damaging your barrel or is it the shaft itself.

I always get marks on my barrel and I though they were caused by the shaft.

I've covered my Picasso barrel with tape to stop this.

What method do you use to attach the shaft?

Shane

hey Shaca,

Where were you been lately??? Any catch or achievements on bluefins.

I don't know if metal crimps damage barell. I just guess it when gun arrived and refuse to put risk my new gun. Altough they have sharp corner unlike the spear, so if it damages the barell it will probably be serious.

Anyway i write deatils about my method in Fuzz's RA thread just check it and ask me anything if yo have. It works great for me. It increased my old gun's accuracy.

Have not been Tuna fishing yet. Won't go until I get my Totem Tahiti.

Went spearing Thursday morning at 7am. Water was really clear and decided to do some deep aspettos with the Picasso gun.

After a few warmup dives I headed to a deeper part of the reef and dropped to 20 meters. I was lying on the bottom and the was only enough light to see about 15 metres. At the edge of my visibilty a Dorada (Gilt Head Bream) appeared. I thought it was way out of range but seeing as it was the only chance I would get, I took aim. As soon as i moved the fish turned and started swimming away. Quickly I took a shot and to my suprise hit the fish. The shaft came in and out of the same side of the fish. I was sure I was going to lose it so I called my buddy to give it a second shot (Which he missed and proceeded to neary lose his gun as he le go of it to grab the fish)

It was a 3 kilo fish which is quite good for this time of year. The range of the gun was what impressed me the most. I was quite sure that the shaft would never reach the fish.

Other than that I have caught a few Bass as well.

I am currently nursing a hangover from last night so not feeling too well HEHE.

Shane

Too much Vodka. Spanish bars do not have standard measures of Spirits. THey just ask you to say "When".

Gotta go for a run later and sweat off some Alcohol

stupid carelessness

Shane, on the news today:

A poor guy was speared in the forehead yesterday in the south of Spain by his buddy. He was coming up from below in murky water and his buddy thought he was a fish. Amazingly the guy is recovering well (apparently) and soon will be out of hospital. Supposedly the shaft went in a few centimeters. Talk about stupid accidents :duh

Adrian

Hey Shane,

3 kg bream is so sweet. One of my dream catch. I want to spear 3 kg sargo.

How long was the shoot? What was the band/ shaft config?

I am wondering how your buddy couldn't able to hit 3 kg bream with spear on it??? Then he grab the fish??? Interesting:hmm

THe shot was at least 4 meters from shaft point (At least thats what it was before it turned and started swimming away) I was using the Picasso stock setup 110 Century carbon: 160cm 6.5mm picasso shaft (Super sharp), 30 cm long 20mm Picasso bands and Omer wishbone (slightly shorter than original Picasso) Gun was only loaded to first notch though.

The fish was very much alive and was swimmimg all over the place. As I did not want to pull it up to the surface in case it broke free, my buddy dived down and the fish moved just as he shot. It actually swam towards him which is why he let go of the gun and caught it with his hands. It was quite funny to watch that.

Going spearing off the beach tommorow.Shallow water aspettos for Dorada and Sea Bass. Taking a 100cm Beuchat Mundial I have acquired for a few test shots.

Shane

hi

Shane mate you have a good life, seems that you always have spare time to be out spearing. I want a job like yours :cool:

4m is a heck of a long shot, not sure my Rob allen 110 with 7mm shaft will shoot that far.

cheers

Yeah 4 meter shoot is good but not impossible just check the results of the hawai skin diver test. They already made accurate shoot with 96-110 cm guns at 4meters. And ivan in that test they figure out that they get the best result with 110cm RA but they couldn't load it more than once:duh

I received an email form Fabrizio at Totem.

The guns will be ready to collect on the 23rd Sept. A friend of mine caught a 25 kg Amberjack last week and I would like to test the Tahiti on something like that.

Ivan, I have a great job. 6 out of every 7 mornings I can go diving.

Not bad eh :D

Do you mind to come here after Rome? ?? ?? ?:p :p :p

BTW as i know those guns have same ballast both for 6.5 and 7mm shaft. It shouldn't be much difference. Is there secret about the Totems so you want it to be ballast especially for 7mm??? Or i am producing non sense scenarios
:duh

Murat I will be on the cruise and it goes to Italy and then Malta. Unfortunately it doesn't pass cyprus. Thanks for the offer anyway.

I will get the gun balanced for a 7mm shaft. I have also asked Fabrizio if their trigger mechs can withstand more than 2x 16mm bands. If it does then Tuna here I come HEHEHE

Anybody have enough experience to compare a Cressi Commanche against the Omer Aluminum?

Adrian

They are 2 very different guns which are both extremely good. The comanche carben has an extremly stiff barrel with integrated rail. It is elliptical in shape which makes it harded to side track. The trigger mech is very simple but causes very few problems and the reel is very good.

The alluminum is a great gun. Extremely precise but the original version caused a lot of trouble with corrosion. Omer muzzle cannot be used with other brand of bands as the threads are slightly different. THe frictionless release trigger mech is superb although the trigger has a bit too much travel for my liking. New Omer reels are superb and the gun looks.

I has my Alluminum exchanged for a Picasso Century Carbon 110. (This is probably the simplest but best built gun I have owned)

Can't wait to get my Totem guns and compare them!!!

Man Totems are stiff one piece wood with integrated deep rail, probably hardcore trigger mech, double rubbers. Can hit even small sargo from too far away as seen in the video. Theirs reel aslo seems good functioning. You can add break away as well. Open muzzlw for increased sight area. It MUST BE best of the euro gun. You are so lucky to have access to it. ;) If you don't like it, i am volunteer to buy it from you:p

Originally posted by shaneshac
The alluminum is a great gun. Extremely precise but the original version caused a lot of trouble with corrosion. Omer muzzle cannot be used with other brand of bands as the threads are slightly different. THe frictionless release trigger mech is superb although the trigger has a bit too much travel for my liking. New Omer reels are superb and the gun looks.

Well 18 power bands and 6.3mm spear works perfect for med sea conditions. Of course if you don't shoot to the rocks like me and get bent spear:duh So i couldn't see any reason to use other than stock config except special conditions. In my opinion modified 130cm Alluminium with 7mm spear, double top energy 16mm bands or even double 18mm bands works perfect for bluewater hunting. You can say its not the problem we can add those things but if the gun designed liked this..... It may be need rail or some other ballast stuff.... May be one band is enough for most situation but dream that there is Alluminium bluewater gun with double band 7mm spear, rail, and so....... How sweet ! ! ! Then you have "cm" accurate gun with knock down power with incredible range, sensitive trigger, quality craftment.... Here you go! ! ! new competitor in bluewater hunting spearguns.

Hey dude my english is not enough to understand that imply. I will be glad if you talk more straight forward.;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT