• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer Aries 45

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Austin

Aug 30, 2002
Can anyone comment on this mask? Omer says it is a low volume mask with a great field of view. It is also frameless.

http://www.omersub.com/omer/data/masks/aries.htm

How do you think it would compare to an Omer Abyss for the spearo diving between 20 and 80 ft?

Does anyone know where to find it for a good price? It costs $68 here. Not sure it would be worth that much.

Aloha,
Austin

Hi Austin,

I have bought one Omer Aries 45 two months ago. It's a grat mask. Before that I used Beuchat Mundial. As a whole I am a fan of Beuchat but in this case Omer rules. I freedive down to 20 meters ~ 60ft I guess. It has a very large field of vision and it fits my face superb. My father is a spearo too and for the last 10 years I have tried lots of top-quality masks - this is the best.

I do believe that $68 is worthly. Try this: http://www.scubaland.fr/voir_P7168003.html. The price there is 44 Euros.

I'm hoping you will buy one.

sea-wolf,

How is the volume compared to the Mundial? If it is lower in volume and a better field of view then this might be the mask I need to get for spearing.

Now if I could just find it for about $50 locally shipping from scubaland would be about the same as if I were to buy it locally.

Hi Astin,

The internal volume of Aries 45 is 145 ml. This is a very small volume. When I bought the Omer mask I compared it to the Mundial. It's sure that the internal volume of the Mundial mask is greater than that of Omer. When you look at their front sides the Omer is narrower, but the glasses are a little bit bigger. The glasses of the Omer stand closer to your eyes thus making a really nice field of vision.

One interesting thing about the form of tha glasses. They are wider at the upper part. This helps me much because I practice mainly ambush hunting and when I am situated on the bottom I have a really good view.

I hope I am helping you with your choice.
Peter

Peter,

Yes it helps a lot. I will try to go to the store and see the mask and see if it fits me. Sounds like a great spearfishing mask.

Anyone else have any comments on this mask?

Last edited:
145 mL is a fair bit of volume. I am using the Abyss and the Sphera. The abyss is ~95mL and the Sphera is just under 80 I believe. The field of view on the Aries is very good, but if you are hunting below 15-20m that is a lot of volume to take down. Though it is one of the most comfortable masks I have ever tried.

matt

Hey guys,

As you know there is reflective lens Aries 45. Does anyone knows what is it's lens color. I think its either blue or yellow.

It's a mirrored blue on the outside and a yellow tint from the inside. It hides your eyes from the fish and enhances the contrast with the yellow lens. Pretty cool stuff, I just wish it was available on the abyss.

How do you find the volumes of different masks? Right now I do not dive deeper than 60 ft. So I think the Aries 45 would be good for now. The tint on the Aries 45 also sounds worth having.

Does anyone know the volume of the AQA Mantis (my current mask)?

hi

Im not so sure the tint is worth having. I have a tinted Abyss and it is okay I guess but sometimes the tinting is annoying, I dunno maybe its just me but even in bright sunny days the tinting doesnt help that much plus that crap about hiding your eyes from fish :hmm

cheers

I looked at the Aries 45 in the store today. I agree I do not think the tint will help. It would probably hinder more than help.

I did see that the Omer Abyss was very low volume. They also had a AQA Lynx that is low volume. I think I am leaning towards the Lynx because it feels better on my face.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT