• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer Cayman HF Aligment Problems and Some Questions.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Manix

Aug 19, 2019
Hello everyone long time lurker here, finally joined when i had a question that i wanted to ask.

I have bought a Omer Cayman HF 90 last year but didn't have time to use it.So this year i realized that muzzle of the gun is misaligned with the barrel track, also track on the handle is slightly misaligned with the barrel as well. Basically they drilled the pin holes wrong on the parts.Pictures are attached, i used some brass rods to show the misalignment.
Long story short i want to keep the gun and fix it as the place i bought it and the Omer itself was no help.(Can't reach Omer from e-mail, contact form or Instagram)

3 questions;

How would you recommend fixing the muzzle , i actually re aligned the muzzle and used it without the pin but i need to fill the existing holes and drill again for pin.Epoxy putty or epoxy maybe? I thought about screws on the existing holes but they are at the sides and will touch rubbers so no good probably. My shooting line attaches to muzzle so i want it to be secure even though muzzle is incredibly tight in the barrel.I dont have a drill press btw.

On the misalignment on the handle-barrel , do you think its acceptable and can be used as is? It's slight but there and removing the handle seems harder.

Gun comes with 6.5 mm notched shaft and 18 mm performer rubber. Performance is appalling, i'm thinking 2 x 14 mm regular id rubber(half the price of small id) and with the 6.5 spear they seems a better fit, any suggestions?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Pictures:
Cayman HF handle-body.jpg
Cayman HF Muzzle 2.jpg
20190822_200408.jpg
Cayman HF Muzzle-Body.jpg

Reactions: Mr. X
I doubt you will ever be very happy with the gun. It is likely to be very noisy when shooting it, poor to mediocre in accuracy, and losing power , all due to the poor quality of the build. Not sure what you can do about it beyond contacting the factory in Italy.
If you keep it, you can do a few things. Shorten the barrel at both ends just enough to drill new holes for the connections. You would have to do it taking into account the offsets necessary to make the parts fit properly.
Good luck with it.

Shorten the barrel at both ends just enough to drill new holes for the connections.
This would do, but be careful that there will be enough space before the plug (there are inserted plugs in the barrel at both ends), so you can inset freely the muzzle and handle.

Or you can use inox (rust resistant) screws to fix the muzzle and handle to barrel.

On the misalignment on the handle-barrel , do you think its acceptable and can be used as is?
No. Any bend in the shaft will translate in inaccuracy and loss of velocity.

6.5 spear
For 90cm HF my choice would be 120cm 6.25 or 6.3 mil quality shaft (pins) + 2x14 small ID bands. But 6.5 will do no problem.

Good luck!

thumbnail.jpg

Reactions: Manix
Keep at them to fix it, contact Omer and maybe post on their Facebook page (if they have one) and shame them into replacing it or providing new parts. No excuses for careless workmanship and bad quality control. I don't buy Omer products as they tend to make too many mistakes and their guns are sub-contracted out to low cost countries. Your gun is proof! Omer on facebook below.

Last edited:
I like Omer guns. I've bought five guns from them and never had a problem.
As a principle ... company manufacturing GUNS of any kind are mandatory - at least from a moral perspective - to have an excellent quality control dpt and not to allowed faulty products into the market.
Still, I've bought also two Sporasub One guns (Sporasub is/was a sister company of Omer) and both had the same problem - the handle was not aligned with the barrel - more or less like Manix's gun. I have return it and I was refunded, no problem.

Reactions: Manix
Thanks everyone for your replies, firstly sorry for being away and not responding.
I started a new job so kinda busy, forgot about the speargun.

I doubt you will ever be very happy with the gun. It is likely to be very noisy when shooting it, poor to mediocre in accuracy, and losing power , all due to the poor quality of the build. Not sure what you can do about it beyond contacting the factory in Italy.
If you keep it, you can do a few things. Shorten the barrel at both ends just enough to drill new holes for the connections. You would have to do it taking into account the offsets necessary to make the parts fit properly.
Good luck with it.
if i fix the aligment issues and attach the pieces properly i doubt it will shoot any different.Its not like we are talking long range precision shooting with firearms.But correct me if im wrong of course.

Or you can use inox (rust resistant) screws to fix the muzzle and handle to barrel.
This seems like the best method, thats how pathos attaches the muzzles as well.

No. Any bend in the shaft will translate in inaccuracy and loss of velocity.

For 90cm HF my choice would be 120cm 6.25 or 6.3 mil quality shaft (pins) + 2x14 small ID bands. But 6.5 will do no problem.

Good luck!
For the body-handle, widening the track at handle side may work nicely and easy what do you think?
Thanks, i will get the rubber and try it out then can checkout shafts then.

Keep at them to fix it, contact Omer and maybe post on their Facebook page (if they have one) and shame them into replacing it or providing new parts. No excuses for careless workmanship and bad quality control. I don't buy Omer products as they tend to make too many mistakes and their guns are sub-contracted out to low cost countries. Your gun is proof! Omer on facebook below.
Agree with you wholeheartedly, i tried reaching them on instagram as well but no avail.
I will try to reach them with the e-mail mariusshobo provided.

This is the email of Omersub
assistance@omersub.it
I've had a few emails with them and they always reply.
Thanks a lot, the e-mail at their website doesnt work i will write to them tomorrow.

Send all your photos with your letter and tell them that such sloppy workmanship is not acceptable, you will not be the first to do so! The measure of a company is how it handles problems, anyone can be a fair weather sailor.

Just note that the Omer email system domain was changed from @omersub.it to @aqualung.com. The company has changed a lot since it was bought by Aqua Lung in France, they aren't what they used to be, worse now.

At least 5 years have gone by under Aqualung ownership and this poor quality must be on their watch.

Many years ago US Divers, which is now Aqualung, made and sold spearguns and only abandoned them in the eighties when spearfishing was in the bad books and more money could be made with the explosion of scuba diving into an upmarket activity. So possibly Aqualung has not been all that fussed with running the spearfishing side of things and letting Omer continue a downward trajectory where marketing is more important than product.

Hello everyone , as a small update.I haven't heard from Omer, i aligned the muzzle and use it as is without using the pin.
Im looking for a slightly longer gun than 90 hf but im very hesitant to look at Omer offerings.

I would switch to a different brand gun. You haven’t had much luck with the Omer. Customer service is number one thing when trying to resolve issues.

Reactions: DivingNomad
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT