• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer Cayman HF

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Kevin O'Brine

Dec 20, 2010
Hi to everyone. Back into spear fishing after a long break. I have just bought the omer cayman hf 110 and would like to know the best way to rig the line.The instructions that came with the gun don't go into much detail as to how the line is set up.
Many Thanks
Kevin

Hi Kevin, at 110cm this gun will be considered a bit big by most divers in your area but I use it for pollack and get on fine with it.
Here's how I rig and set the line. From the butt of the spear I lead the line up the left side of the spear to the muzzle of the gun. It hooks onto the leftside muzzle hook, goes over the spear then down around the rightside muzzle hook and back down the rightside to go around the line release. I then end it in a loop. I hook a snap swivel onto the loop. Next I bring line from the reel up and through the metal loop on the underside of the muzzle, through a bungie and back down to tie to the snap swivel.
If you're not using a reel just put a bungie on a short length of braided line and tie one end to the metal loop and the other to the loop in the mono spearline.
On the left side of the gun and just in front of the triggerguard is a little semicircular lip. Before pulling the rubbers back I shove the spearline under this so it doesn't get in the way but after pulling the rubbers I flip the line back out from under it.
This gun has a reputation for sometimes tangling the spearline in the rubbers when firing so it's worth being careful when loading.
If you didn't understand any of that let me know and I'll post photos. Good luck with it.

Reactions: spaghetti
Thanks to all, and thanks old hippy.would appreciate some photos,no hurry though when you have time.
Thanks again
Kevin

This could be a good tutorial. The author of the clip is a Deeperblue member:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uihw73uctrA&playnext=1&list=PL6AD317DA88B109D3&index=4]YouTube - Rigging a Speargun[/ame]

Nice video - who is forum member (deserves some rep. for that)? Just goes to show that it really is a 5 minute job! Why do folk use such large crimpers - are they using special hard crimps? I was surprised at how soft and easy to crimp the double-barrel crimps are when I first used them - the cheapest, flimsiest bi-cusped electrical crimper is more that strong enough, in fact, care has to be taken not to overdo it.

Interesting to see the simple, all-rubber Omer shock-absorber/muzzle bungee rigged too. I just bought one to try out. I figured that you need to wrap some cord around it. I bought some 2mm & 3mm braid, I'll used the 3mm braid - which looks the same as the braid that came with my Omer XXV spearguns; it's a pity Omersub didn't include a shock-absorber with the guns, and rigging instructions. Although I'm sure I can make it work, it's a pity that Omersub haven't seen fit to publish guidelines on how best to use these though. (Perhaps they figure if you break a few in the process of trying them out, they'll make a few euro.) BTW anybody else noticed that these very basic Omer rubber shock-absorbers are rarely to found cheaply* and are eye-wateringly expensive from a few suppliers (e.g. apnea) - scubaland.fr have them reasonably priced in packs of 5 but single units seem surprisingly expensive (yet still much cheaper than apnea :( - even with French VAT).

[Both suppliers list my favourite Beuchat shock-absorber/bungee (inexpensive but lightweight) but neither had any in stock when last I checked :(.]

Just noticed: Top-flight custom speargun maker Darryl Wong is selling his heavy duty muzzle bungees for $8 each [see this link] - £5 at current exchange rates.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I know this is an old thread, and I know that there is a dummies guide (so what does this say about me) but I am still confised. I have a omersub Cayman HF speargun, newly acquired. It has a reel and I am not sure what goes where and should there be a bungee or not on it.

Any help and pics welcome!

Alex

Hi scolopaxmunster. I've never used a reel, so not the best person to answer your question but I can probably help with bits of it. Somebody like Pav & Azapta, who have previously been through this, might be able to help further.

You don't need a muzzle bungee when using a reel -- although I gather some of our forum members have construed ways of including a shock-absorbing in a reel-rig speargun, it's not "normal". The Omer XXV - and perhaps the Cayman? - has a small wire loop in the muzzle, which you are supposed to thread the spear-line through *if you are using a reel* (I've removed it from one of my XXVs because I don't use a reel and it was getting in the way). You can tension the line using the reel.

As for use (or not) of the line-release mechanism, I'll leave that to others to explain.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT