• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer Excalibur Carbon

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Wishbone

Paragraph aquanaut
Jan 13, 2002
Hi guys,

My local OMER distributor is offering me a discounted (?) Omer Excalibur Carbon 100. The price is some 130$.

I wonder whether anyone has some experience with this gun? (I've always used Beuchat or Sporasub).

Thanks,

Ivan

100 $???

100 $ for the OMER Exvalibur Carbon? Don`t miss it. But it ! ! !.
Our dealers sells alluminium excaliburs for 130 $ i think Carbon version is more or less 170-180 dollars. If your dealers has new OMER Alluminuim buy it. It is the best gun that produce by OMER.I have no experiance with it but Marc Labocetta says it.

Thanks Murat,

Regarding the price, I don't think it's much of a discount for Europe. I am in Europe and the difference in the price is quite big compared to the Amercas. I've already checked few on-line European shops and found out they sell this particular gun with 16mm bands for about the same amount. In Bulgaria it is of course a bit more expensive since everything is imported. So I actually get it at a bit lower than the average Euro price.

The properties are what concern me the most. And most of all - accuracy. The fishes in the Black Sea are probably 5 to 10 times smaller than the ones I see on the photos submitted here. A fish over a kilo is already a good one. And they never turn around to take a look at you. You rarely have more than 2 seconds to place a shot. They pass by like the Orient Express. :)

Maybe that's the reason why the Bulgarian always did relatively well on international events... :D

I live in europe too (almost). Cyprus is an island below of Turkey and above of Egypt. I am hunting in mediterenian the fishes is almost same size as Black sea and eve more clever.I didn`t use Excalibur but the guys who use it says it is deadly accurate. I am using OMER MB 30/86 even it has pin point accurate.

Thanks Murat,

I may go and get this gun then!

I haven't noticed you're from Cyprus... I know perfectly well where it is! And I hear the sea is perfect!
What are the spearfishing regulations for foreigners there?
In Bulgaria it's absolutely free. You don't even need a permit. There are only some restrictions over the size of the fish.

And what fish do you go after? Brown meagres and seabreams?
Here we hunt mainly on mullets, bluefish, European seabass and meagres.

Ivan

There is a little permit here. Its around 3 $ per year. There is a size restriction also. Sea is very nice. Typical island sea but i can not say same for fishes. May be cause of i haven`t got boat to go deeper dive spots, also ability to dive deeper.:duh

Ha!
We usually don't go below the 20th meter here, so I know what you mean. And the reason is - there's no point to do it! You won't get larger fish at 30m here.
I've been trying for fun though, but I cannot stay there long enough for a good ambush... I usually work at 12 - 15 meters.

Is the same permit applicable for foreigners there? I might think of Cyprus if I decide to go somewhere after the active season!
Is it still warm in early October per example? I guess it is...

Probably it is same fee.20 meter is very good. My max is about 8 meters for now:D .In october it may be warm still but if not u can use wet suit.I am sure u don`t want to be here now. Air temperature is between 45-50 with %100 moisture:( .

Hi Murat,

45 degrees is insane! How do you manage to work and breathe at the same time!? I've heard that on one of the Greek islands the working day during the summer is actually a working night! They officially switch to sleeping during the day. But that's maybe a rumor, describing how hot it is!

About going there, I'd really prefer it after the active season. I have local spearfishing competitions during August and September. Then it will all depend on the wallet factor - if I don't get a commission I am supposed to earn by then, I'll be stuck here...
But I'd drop you a line if I decide to go and I'll let you try my new Excalibur! :D
By the way you cannot dive without a wetsuit in the Black Sea - even now when water temp is 25 - 27C in the upper layers. Around the 10-15 meters it gets down to about 14-15C and there is a cold thermal layer of 8-9C around the 20th meter. That's why all the fish stays in the upper layers where the plankton is!

Ivan

We can go spearfishing together if you come here. I don`t have a boat but we can hunt at the coast. If you want to buy OMER i highly recommend you new OMER Alluminium.

Thanks Murat,

I have never used a boat myself... I just hope everything goes right for me during the next two months!

I'll definitely write you a note if I ever have the chance to go to Cyprus.

I'll check the price of the Alluminum with my supplier, but if it's too expensive, I'll go for the Excalibur.

Ivan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT