• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer length

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

oneoldude

Feb 7, 2005
Comparing different speargun lengths is most confusing.

Can somone tell me the total length of spear, including tip, for an Omer 100 cm gun like the America?

Thanks,

oneoldude

I can't speak for the Master America, but it's probably very similar to the length of a 100cm Omer Excalibur, which is 48in. from tip of muzzle to loading pad.

140cm if they stick to normal convension. A 130 or 150 would also work if you wanted more or less mass/overhang.

Hi oneoldude, Def is correct. You're right it can be confusing, and when the odd speargun size like an 82 or 115 comes up it can be a bit puzzling to guess the right shaft length.

for future reference here it is however:

75cm gun 115cm shaft 45"
82cm 115cm 45"
90cm 130cm 51"
100cm 140cm 55"
110cm 150cm 59"
120cm 160cm 63"
130cm 170cm 67"

Keep in mind gun length refers to barrel and band stretch length, the effective length in a speargun, and shafts usually have 12" (30cm) of overhang which aids in aiming. :)

Yes but since 125cm shafts are not readily available "everywhere" and 130cm shafts are too long for an 82cm gun it's better to use a shorter shaft like the common length for a 75 which still has plenty of overhang. Shorter guns are about maneuverability anyway especially in murky water so it doesn't make much sense to put a longer shaft on it.

ok thanks
I would like to ask one more question
when we use 115 do we have to increase the shafts thickness ?

when we use 115 do we have to increase the shafts thickness ?

Hi Borquaoar, your question is not that black or white. Different conditions dictate the shaft diameter more so than the gun length.

If for example like I assume you hunt for in Turkey you are going for the usual sargos and dentex around 2Kg's average stick to the 6.5mm shaft (1/4").

If you concentrate on the bigger fish like the amberjacks (family Seriola) and Mediterrane groupers/meru (epinephalus marginatus) and are strictly hunting for them stick with a 7mm shaft that will give more punch.

One set of 16mm or 18mm is fine for the former, and for the later always use at least a set of 18mm or 20mm bands to drive the heavier 7mm shaft through the bigger fish. Ciao, Mark

115cm shaft is perfect for 80cm gun. Keep in mind that new omer guns measure 5cm less than old omers. E.g today's 75cm gun will refer to almost to 71cm of old models. 90cm will reffer to the old 86.

In past models, omer sized their guns according to the band strech which i belive it was better way and common in euro manufacturers, but now omer size the guns according to their barell length but it actuall adds the length which you did not get any benefit from, like the part in the hande etc...

anyway, i used 115cm spear in 75 (new) omer and it was good, now i am using on it on wood gun which has 80cm band strech and its even better.

I think that 6.25mm shaft is perfect compromise for med. Tell me honestly how many times in a year you see 10-20kg AJ or grouper??? Even if you see it i belive 6.25 will be enough to nail it :)

If I were diving in the Med today too I would also use a 6.3 or 6.5mm shaft. This size is known as 1/4" here and no one barely even uses it much yet. In the shallows for winter time diving I love to use those shafts for tautog/blackfish which are all around plus or minus 2-8lbs on average. The super skinny shaft is lightining fast and very springy so they rarely get bent on our small fish. I've landed big stripers up to 30lbs without a problem as well.

Yes I think the days of swimming around the Med with a 7mm shaft are overly optimistic... ;)

Mark

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT