• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

OMER Master Competition 116

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Snappa

Mar 4, 2003
Does anyone have one of these guns and what size rubbers are you using?
Im using a single 16mm, I would like to get more power, is it best to go for a single 20mm short or double 16mms, but my spear only has one grove, can I get another put in, its a Rob Allen 7mm
spring steel, or do I have to buy new.
Any info would be great.:mad:

Andrsn has one ;)

Nice gun!

I'd go for a new shaft(you can always use another one) as it's not really worth the cost of putting another notch in. If $ is that tight, then go for it, but you'll probably be better off with an extra shaft in the long run :hmm

Just searched to find what the useres think about that gun.Couldn`t find any coz time is thight here.

Yea, may be Andrsn can make some observation, explanation and advantages/disadvantages as well. I will be apriciate too.

I don't think that RA shafts fit the OMER Master trigger mech (or is it just the Alluminium?) I think you would be much better off with single 20mm band but be very careful when you buy the bands. OMER makes 20 mm bands WITH 20 mm thread. Most other manufacturers (Picasso, Beuchat, etc) make 20mm bands with 16mm thread which should fit your gun (since you have 16mm bands on). The alternative would be to switch to a 20mm thread OMER muzzle but it is a pain. I have found that any double combo on Euro guns throws off your accuracy so I would stick with the single. I think Scott T. could give you some more input since he has used both guns.

Angelos

Great gun, no doubt. I use a single 20mm w/ dynema wishbone and the riffe euro shaft. One of the most accurate guns I've shot. :cool: Mark sent it to me w/ 2 16mm bands, but I didn't care for that setup... couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but started hitting midwater yellowtail snapper at 15+feet when I went to the single 20mm.

I recommend the riffe shaft because it's light and quick. If you're doing more reef hunting around holes and ledges, step up to a 7mm stainless like the ones they use on Rabitechs.

Good luck,
Anderson

Thanks again, I thought a single would be better, because the bottom rubber is not in line with the shaft.
The Rob Allen 7mm shaft I'm using is heavy as but its strong, I've shot staghit trough a fish and straight in to a big rock at about 1m away all it did was dull the end a little.
I'll buy one of those shafts and try it out on a kingie with a new 20mm as well, cant wait!:p

I use a 116 Master Comp and love it. I use a single 20mm band setup on thread adapters so I can make my own bands easily.

The shaft I am using is a 7mm Spring Stainless AB Biller Shaft Modified for the Omer Mech. It works a treat and has plenty of penetration.

Andrsn, if you couldn't hit anything with two 16mm bands on your 116 master comp then why were you thinking of switching to two 16 mm bands on your rabitech? Is it because the rabitech has more weight to it with the aluminum barrel than the master comp with the carbon barrel or is it because the 20mm band wasn't giving the 7mm rabitech shaft enough speed?

Jimmy

Originally posted by GoblinShark
Andrsn, if you couldn't hit anything with two 16mm bands on your 116 master comp then why were you thinking of switching to two 16 mm bands on your rabitech? Is it because the rabitech has more weight to it with the aluminum barrel than the master comp with the carbon barrel or is it because the 20mm band wasn't giving the 7mm rabitech shaft enough speed?

Jimmy

Rabitech's out of the picture. :t It's all about the yokooji's now. :D I think the 2 16mm bands would have been fine on the omer if they weren't so short. They were pretty maxed out in stretch when they were cocked.

A

Yeah that yokooji is an awesome looking gun. How much coin would something like yours set me back? I am thinking of maybe picking up one later on this year because I just got a new gun since my friend lost mine. Hey, what wetsuit/wetsuit thickness would you recommend for diving Miami and the Keys year round?
Thanks
Jimmy

I have found that any double combo on Euro guns throws off your accuracy

Frogman

why do you feel that 2 16mm bands is inferior to 1 20mm band? I am curious since I have an Omer Black Master 106 cm gun. I have been wrestling with this question for a long time and still haven't come to any firm conclusion. I have a 20mm muzzle and a 16mm muzzle switching back and forth between the two setups. Maybe you could shed some new light on an old thread?

Thanks.

Yeah, what Anderson said!

I will second Anderson's thoughts. I have a 116 competition with 20mm and Riffe euro shaft. Accurate, with plenty of power for anything that this style of gun is appropriate for and then a bit!

Regarding the compatibility of other than OMER 20mm bands with 16mm Omer muzzle, I would consult with Technsport or perhaps Mark L. will chime in here. It is a fact that you will need to change the muzzle to use OMER 20mm bands, I did this on one of my MB-2000's (carbon barrel) and did not find it to be that difficult.

Good Luck, Guy

Re: Yeah, what Anderson said!

Originally posted by IBGuy
Regarding the compatibility of other than OMER 20mm bands with 16mm Omer muzzle, I would consult with Technsport or perhaps Mark L. will chime in here. It is a fact that you will need to change the muzzle to use OMER 20mm bands, I did this on one of my MB-2000's (carbon barrel) and did not find it to be that difficult. Guy

Hi Divefan and Ibguy,

One set up isn't really inferior to another, the advantage to using twin (5/8") 16mm's on your Black Master is that it's easier to load than 20mm bands which have a 74Kg (163lbs) loading effort. The 18mm Power bands have a hair less power than the 20mm bands but are 20lbs easier to pull and use 16mm threads and that's why Omer doesn't make guns or muzzles with 20mm bands anymore.

To make things clearer here are the different muzzles Omer made and makes for the bands:
1.new muzzle with 18mm bands 16mm threads
2.old Black Master with 20mm bands 20mm threads
3.Master Competition muzzle with 16mm bands which also fits 18mm bands

This was a speargun band test (March 18 2000) done at the Beretta firearms testing bank in Italy that yielded interesting results proving a very simple premise:
Harder bands don't necessarily provide more power.
These are the different thicknesses and of various makes of bands, the power each produces and the loading effort required.

Reactions: Mr. X
I would like to say thanks to Mark L. for taking the time to respond to all the issues surrounding Omer products.

Hi Snappa I have used 106 Master competition and I can tell you I bought it because off two reasons , first it is made of carbon and second it is precise . I have removed normal bands and put 19 mm or 20 mm circular band . After some good times and great catches it broke between body and head , actually it wasn’t broken just carbon was cracked . :waterwork
I have seen some test on Hawaii skin diver magazine and between many guns the master competition was the most accurate .

Have a nice day , if you wont I have some cracked pictures .

Hi all Omer' Equipment lovers,

I'm using OMER's guns for years now...well, should I say since I spearfish on a regular basis.

I 'm using the Excalibur handle on almost all of my gun... even on a old MB106 wich gave me some difficulties as Barrel diameter is 26mm and tne handle is 28....

Anyway, just to say that I 'm really happy with OMER's guns, friend of mine offered me a new Ceramic-Graphit (i can't remenber exactly) with the 20 rubber...well I had to change that 'cause, here in france, it' s quite difficult to find some.

Gonna try it this afternoon...

By the way, I was wondering if there are some tests on the power that OMER handles can store? I mean how many rubbers???

I know that OMER Black America handle could handdle let's say 2 big rubbers..but I cannot find it anymore ...I would like to build a gun with 2 circulars rubbers..

I only use Euro style guns and all my guns from 70 cm up to 130 cm only have a single 20 mm band. I had double 16s on a gun (120 cm) for a little while but decided I prefer a single, fat band better. I'm not even sure why, I just know that being a tournament shooter (although only once a year now) I’ve always liked the idea of loading only 1 band over 2, although maybe now it has more to do with just being lazy. Also, one band has always made the gun feel more streamlined and lighter to me, I hate the bulkiness of having 2 bands attached to my muzzle.

Scott

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT