• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer quitting Pneumatic Spearguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I just find this image regarding bumps on Cyrano piston. I actually find the piston itself too among my Cyrano parts. I had modified it to make hydro damper with it so the modified piston was without bumps. But now I am sure the bumps on Cyrano piston are inside diameter of 8 mm and the bumps do not get in contact with the anvil of shock absorber. The OD of the grove in the anvil is 10,8 mm, same as the piston OD. The depth is about 2 mm and the boring throught it is 8,8 mm. Bumps on Cyrano piston may serve for additional centering of the piston in contact with the shock absorber.

View attachment 59296
I have looked down the muzzle of both my Cyrano and Sten guns and could see the ring of small bumps, if I can see them then they are not sitting on the face of the anvil.

The bumps on the Mares piston nose don't sit on the anvil, they are in the bore area and are thought to be locating features with respect to the bore alignment. They are well inside the bore however, so they don't really do that.
View attachment 59290
That is daylight you can see through the gap, this gun is under full charge pressure with the piston pressing against the anvil face and sitting on a ring of bumps. The bumps need to be sanded off or the piston refaced in a lathe to make it flat and spread the contact pressure between piston nose and anvil. Otherwise you will crack the gun's shock absorber anvil after enough shots are put through your gun.
Regarding Omer piston, as on image above, I was thinking about what was the intension to make those bumps at the front face of the piston. Because of that in water barrel gun the water in front of the piston would have two times higher speed of water toward water escaping ports. Two times higher speed means four times higher kinetic energy of water then it would be with piston without bums. For that amount of energy shock absorber should work less. So it is maybe helpful in water barrel gun..? But in vacuum barrel gun it would be devastating for the shock absorber and the piston because the contact surface of impact would be two times smaller..

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT