• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer Reel

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BladeRunner

Mud Puddle Diver
May 20, 2002
Hey I'm planning on putting this OMER Reel onmy 90cm excalibur before my vacation! Does anyone have this reel and can tell me what you think about. This is will be the first Reel I've put on gun so I'm don't know alot about it. It's not to big for average spearing is it? I thought it was somewhat compact!

Attachments

• omer_excaliburreel.jpg
    omer_excaliburreel.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 359
i had one of them on my first gun as a first reel and it only gave the problem. Stay away from it:naughty I advise you new omer 30 reel very brilliant;) Especially the gun you have is carbon which will take off the negative floatation of the alluminium reel.

by the way its not only me but all of fellow divers had same problem with them. I think inner plastic chamber rub to outer one. Some says it happens when sunlight hits the reel coz plastic enlarges and problem happens. Someone post how to modify it somewhere. He took off the outer cover.

As a result get the alluminium one and be happy:D

I tried to find the thread/pic of the modified reel that Murat was talking about and have had no luck.Not sure what happened to it
but it fixed the prob and he did a really good job that looked professional.I was thinking of getting the same real for the gun i'm building.

well I'm not worried about fish racing off on me it's more for a fish that may hold up on me. I use to connect my float to my gun but that got old, so I just use small 1lb. folding float anchor and just dive in one area and pick up and move kinda thing. I wanted to fit one to my 90cm before going on my vacation. I'm planning on diving on some wrecks and some jetties that have some large caves that fish can easily get stuck in. If I shoot a fish and need to resurface I want be able take my gun with me. I don't want to shoot one have to leave the gun then go back after doing my breath up and find that the fish got out and took off with my gun!

You could melt some clean wax between the reel and reel body! I This might smooth out the feel of the reel and the plastic on plastic friction problem your refering to. I think this reel will work fine for my intend purpose! I really don't want to drop 120 bucks on a reel either, I don't need anything that high speed!

how much does the reel throw off the balance of the speargun and does it make the gun feel heavier underwater aswell?

Last edited:
I don't know how a reel effects a speargun but I have experianced shooting a fish ,having him swim thru a hole to the other side and had to drop my gun and breath up then go down and get it. It wasn't to much of a problem because the water was only 15 feet or so and the current was slack but it did get the old heart pumping.

yeah that's the kinda thing I want to avoid. Hey AJ you couldn't make to Wrightsville Beach, NC the first week in November could you, and maybe bring you inflatable?

i don't think alluminium 30 reel is 120 dollars, you mixed it up with pleagic reel which is oversized for your purpose. Allu. 30 reel should not be much more expensive than plastic one.

No doubt that the gun with the reel feels heavier than the one without it in the water...

I have that real on my 110 cm omer. It sucks! spend more money and get a good reel that's what I should have done I'm going to buy a good one when I get some more money. It sticks a lot and has an extremely slow line recovery rate. I guess it would be OK for shooting bottom dwelling fish but if you're going to shoot anything that swims fast like a big jacks or pelagics get a good reel

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT