• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

omer stingray footpockets

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

atherianos

May 13, 2010
i recently purchased a set of omer stingray carbon medium (25) stiffness
while they look and feel absolutely AWESOME
the foot pockets are too big for me. i ordered a size 45-46 to accomadate for a 3.5 mm sock however it seems like my size is 43-44 or that i could even fit possibly 41-42. (in cm my foot is 25.6-7 with high arch)

i am considering ditching socks all together. it seems like a small comfort to sacrifice for better energy transfer.

i also noticed that the foot pockets seem really wide. while this may be the size problem they seem a little too bulky and would like something more anatomical.

my main question - are there any other foot pockets on the market that can accomadate medium stiffness stingray carbons? i have noticed that the tendons of the footpocket are extremely stiff and therefore it might be diffucult to find a right footpocket. preferably pathos fireblade or mares razor.

thanks!
atherianos

If you want to ditch wearing socks try the beuchat footpocket. It is softer and narrower than Omer, Picasso, etc...

If you want greater efficiency especially with slightly loose fin, try fin keepers.

The Mares Razor tendons are much softer than the Omer Stingray tendons, so the fin will effectively soften.

I think you should be able to glue the Omer Stingray blades in nearly any footpocket you chose but you will have to glue them.

good luck finding something that works for you...

thanks for the advice :)

got the chance to try them out recently (stuck with the omer footpockets) and they are SWEEEEET. I would imagine that everyone exhibits a similar response the first time they use carbon fins ;).

Slvimar are good for people with a high arch, pathos are definitely the softest though, and yes beuchat make them quite narrow

I agreed with all thats been sayed.

The mares are amazing and confortable pockets, and can fit, and the pathos are very lite and efficient, the best in performance, but you should work out your blade a litle to fit perfect.

Wath its not been sayed is that the omers stingray SHORT footpockets are amazing, as confortable as yur pockets, and they let the carbon blades work very well, and fit perfect. So I think it would be the best option for you, because your blades wer made for those pockets, and it makes A LOT of difference, beleive it.

Good luck!

As you said the omers are so confortable, I used ti wear my carbon stingrays even with no socks. One imteresting thing about those pockets, and I found the same thing with mares pockets, is that in the deep diving they work better if they are a litle loose in your feet. Not too loose as you have them, bat a little is perfect. In my case I switched from 3mm socks to 2mm socks with better results in dives around 35m. It does not show in dives around 20m, bat even in surface swimming you save energy if they are a little loose. So is a good idea ti try different thickness socks, as many as you can.
Wath is very funny, is that with pathos pockets it doesn't work this way. They work much better if they are tide, but they get unconfirtable this way, so the best thing is to wear them in a upper size with 5mm socks, so they get tide and confortable. This is the tip.

@ALLREIS
You say the Omer Stingray Short footpockets work well with carbon blades. Do you have to trim the side rails of the fins to fit them into the short footpockets? Do they need to be glued?
I ask, because blades such as the Leaderfins can be fitted to the long Stingray FP's using the usual method with screws.
But, you can't fit regular Stingray blades on the short FP's as the ribs of the Shorts are not wide enough to hold the blade.
I suppose the best comparison for the shorts are the Pathos Fireblades. Vendetta say their new blades fit both.
I haven't seen them personally yet, so I don't know if people are just sliding them in and using screws or they are glueing them.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT