• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer UP-X1 Umberto Pelizzari Freediving Computer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ulf

Jul 1, 2003
Has anyone tried the Omer UP-X1 computer?
Does the heart rate monitor save the heart rate during the dive so you can watch it later or does it only save the max, min, mean HR?
How does it compare to the F10 v2?

/Ulf

Reactions: Kars
I have one on the way, I'll try to post some impressions after using it a bit.

Not too much time for diving at the moment, so updates might be slow. Bit out of diving shape so my dive reflex isn't as strong as it used to be:( (could get really low pulse readings and this stops at 30 afaik)

Thanks NoFair, I'm looking forward to your review! E299,- sounds like a nice value option!
Maybe share a screenshot of your dive recordings too?

This was apparently a Christmas present (women....) so will be using my either a Mares puck or old analogue depth gauge next week:(

I'm most interested to know about the depth trigger. The F10v2 triggers at 2 feet, making it the most useful feature for me who trains at the pool.

How is your experience with the UP-X1? Can you write a quick review?

I'm also thinking of buying this computer (because of the HRM, design is also nice). It's interesting though that there are no reviews of this watch. Is it so new? Or just unknown?

I saw the computer first hand, and at this price I have no doubt that we'll see it on everyone's wrist in a year or two.

I does activate at 1m, which is a bit too deep for for me for pool use.

The quality of the build is great, you get these easy to press buttons (even with gloves) that are spring loaded and a simple navigation menu.
You can see that a lot of thought was put into the design.

The integrated HR monitor that you can use at depth comes with a software to track all your dives. Now that is fun to experiment with.

I'll try and look more into it and maybe share more details. But I'm guessing that anyone that is interested should just take a look at the manual, it should answer all question.

Thank you Immersed. I guess when I have the cash it will be my next computer.

I decided to buy me an early Christmas present and bought it:) (I just unpacked it and went through the settings. Next weekend, I'll take it to the pool and after that, I'll try to put some quick review together. But at first sight, it looks really well.

I'm looking forward too it!
-please also include a review of it's software, what and how does it deliver data?

I couldn't stop myself from playing with the new watch so I decided to make a quick review of the watch itself :), how it behaves in the pool, I'll try to do during the weekend.

Warning: I'm just a beginner freediver with very limited experience and this is my very first diving computer, so I have nothing to compare it to but my own expectations.

Why this watch?
Because I'm not sure when, of if ever, I'll also do the scuba course, I decided to get computer specifically for freediving and avoid overly complicated devices with function I don't need now. And because I'm a nerd with need to analyze everything and I love charts, it had to have USB connectivity and preferably heart rate monitor, because I think heart rate is quite important in freediving (and it also makes a nice chart :) ) After some research, I found out, that UP-X1 is literally the only computer matching these requirement. I also considered the Aeris F10/F11 (F10 is a bit cheaper, and far as I know, there's no HRM, I know couple of people who got the F10 because of the price, but were unpleasantly surprised, because there was no USB cable in the package.), Uwatec Meridian (more expensive, HRM needs to be purchased separately and it also has scuba and gauge modes) and Suunto D4i (basically same as Meridian, except there's no HRM at all, AFAIK).

UP-X1 was a clear winner. Only drawback was, that at the time of the purchase (November 2014) there were literally no reviews or comparisons with other watches, I found only two unboxing videos. But I decided to risk it and get it anyway (I even found retailer with some discount :) )

What came in the box?
  • the watch, obviously
  • heart rate monitor
  • three chest straps
  • clamp style USB cable
  • quick guide
The watch
DSC_0062.JPGDSC_0066.JPG

The computer itself is built really well and feels very solid. Case feels like really hard plastic, but not cheap at all. Back cover is stainless steel and there's carbon fiber ring around the display. Buttons are big and they feel well even in gloves. (Sorry, didn't have banana for scale, so I used 2€ coin, as you can see it's rather large device.)
Back cover states it's water resistant to 100 meters (which is way, WAY beyond my limits :) ), but on some page I read that it already had been taken to 140 meters and it worked just fine (sorry, can find the article now)
DSC_0072.JPG

The strap is nicely wide, maybe even too long for bare hand, but I'm certain if you put the watch over a wetsuit, it will be just right. If you look at the watch from the side, you can see what I think are the attaching axles, so it might suggest it's even replaceable.
DSC_0070.JPG

Besides the buttons, there are sensors on the right side and the speaker on the left side, which would suggest it should be nice and audible under water.

Menu and display
Display is big and readable, just common monochrome LCD. Menu is nice and simple, I was able to figure out the navigation and most of the functions myself, without the manual. I won't go over the functions now, they are nicely described in the full manual, which is available here:
http://www.omersub.com/manuali/manualUPX1_ENG_V-01.pdf

Battery
DSC_0065.JPG

One thing I'm not sure about, is the battery. I didn't find any info how long the battery lasts (there are 2 battery saving functions) or in which matter is the battery replaceable. I asked the retailer and they suggested to have the battery replaced by certified service. But if you take a look at the back of the watch, there's a groove and inscription OPEN->, which would suggest an easy replacement by just unscrewing part of the back cover, but I didn't dare to open it yet, because of the warranty reasons. I think I will write directly to Omer to ask about it.

HRM Strap
DSC_0068.JPG DSC_0067.JPG
HRM is a bit bulky (if you put it under the wetsuit it might look like a xenomorph breaking through you ribcage :) ), probably because of the water resistance. On the second image it's compared to micoach HRM (again, the not-banana for scale :) ) It's yet to be seen how it works under water. I didn't find any possibility to link other, replacement strap to the watch in case of malfunction, so that's another small drawback. But the battery is replaceable.
I tried to wear both of the HRMs to compare the accuracy but they seem to be interfering with each other (micoach is Ant+ device), so I could not check whether it's accurate or not.
How well the strap works, I'll see in the pool.

... To be continued ...

During the weekend, after I take it to the pool, I'll finish the review of the performance, software and the USB cable, but so far I really like it.

Attachments

• DSC_0071.JPG
    DSC_0071.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 534
  • DSC_0063.JPG
    DSC_0063.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 622
Reactions: Kars and neonh
I couldn't stop myself from playing with the new watch so I decided to make a quick review of the watch itself :), how it behaves in the pool, I'll try to do during the weekend.

Warning: I'm just a beginner freediver with very limited experience and this is my very first diving computer, so I have nothing to compare it to but my own expectations.

Why this watch?
Because I'm not sure when, of if ever, I'll also do the scuba course, I decided to get computer specifically for freediving and avoid overly complicated devices with function I don't need now. And because I'm a nerd with need to analyze everything and I love charts, it had to have USB connectivity and preferably heart rate monitor, because I think heart rate is quite important in freediving (and it also makes a nice chart :) ) After some research, I found out, that UP-X1 is literally the only computer matching these requirement. I also considered the Aeris F10/F11 (F10 is a bit cheaper, and far as I know, there's no HRM, I know couple of people who got the F10 because of the price, but were unpleasantly surprised, because there was no USB cable in the package.), Uwatec Meridian (more expensive, HRM needs to be purchased separately and it also has scuba and gauge modes) and Suunto D4i (basically same as Meridian, except there's no HRM at all, AFAIK).

UP-X1 was a clear winner. Only drawback was, that at the time of the purchase (November 2014) there were literally no reviews or comparisons with other watches, I found only two unboxing videos. But I decided to risk it and get it anyway (I even found retailer with some discount :) )

What came in the box?
  • the watch, obviously
  • heart rate monitor
  • three chest straps
  • clamp style USB cable
  • quick guide
The watch
View attachment 39896View attachment 39909

The computer itself is built really well and feels very solid. Case feels like really hard plastic, but not cheap at all. Back cover is stainless steel and there's carbon fiber ring around the display. Buttons are big and they feel well even in gloves. (Sorry, didn't have banana for scale, so I used 2€ coin, as you can see it's rather large device.)
Back cover states it's water resistant to 100 meters (which is way, WAY beyond my limits :) ), but on some page I read that it already had been taken to 140 meters and it worked just fine (sorry, can find the article now)
View attachment 39912

The strap is nicely wide, maybe even too long for bare hand, but I'm certain if you put the watch over a wetsuit, it will be just right. If you look at the watch from the side, you can see what I think are the attaching axles, so it might suggest it's even replaceable.
View attachment 39911

Besides the buttons, there are sensors on the right side and the speaker on the left side, which would suggest it should be nice and audible under water.

Menu and display
Display is big and readable, just common monochrome LCD. Menu is nice and simple, I was able to figure out the navigation and most of the functions myself, without the manual. I won't go over the functions now, they are nicely described in the full manual, which is available here:
http://www.omersub.com/manuali/manualUPX1_ENG_V-01.pdf

Battery
View attachment 39906

One thing I'm not sure about, is the battery. I didn't find any info how long the battery lasts (there are 2 battery saving functions) or in which matter is the battery replaceable. I asked the retailer and they suggested to have the battery replaced by certified service. But if you take a look at the back of the watch, there's a groove and inscription OPEN->, which would suggest an easy replacement by just unscrewing part of the back cover, but I didn't dare to open it yet, because of the warranty reasons. I think I will write directly to Omer to ask about it.

HRM Strap
View attachment 39907 View attachment 39910
HRM is a bit bulky (if you put it under the wetsuit it might look like a xenomorph breaking through you ribcage :) ), probably because of the water resistance. On the second image it's compared to micoach HRM (again, the not-banana for scale :) ) It's yet to be seen how it works under water. I didn't find any possibility to link other, replacement strap to the watch in case of malfunction, so that's another small drawback. But the battery is replaceable.
I tried to wear both of the HRMs to compare the accuracy but they seem to be interfering with each other (micoach is Ant+ device), so I could not check whether it's accurate or not.
How well the strap works, I'll see in the pool.

... To be continued ...

During the weekend, after I take it to the pool, I'll finish the review of the performance, software and the USB cable, but so far I really like it.

Does it actually plot the heart rate or does it only giva max, min and average?

If you take a look at this screenshot of Dive Master (name of the software), you can see, that the heart is part of the chart (one checkbox needs to be checked first), so I would assume it's also plotted. But I'll be sure on Saturday, when I have some data.
upload_2014-11-18_9-55-45.png

Thank you Booman!

Great first impressions video, handy feature set too!
How much does it weigh?
Does it have a user replaceable battery? - how is the battery life?
Does it scratch easily?
Does it have a continuous countdown timer?

I'm looking forward to your report on actually using it in the water.

From seeing it on your wrist, with the feature set it looks like a winner too me.

Thank you Booman!

Great first impressions video, handy feature set too!
How much does it weigh?
Does it have a user replaceable battery? - how is the battery life?
Does it scratch easily?
Does it have a continuous countdown timer?

I'm looking forward to your report on actually using it in the water.

From seeing it on your wrist, with the feature set it looks like a winner too me.

I will do another dive soon but...
It's great and automatically countdowns upon surfacing.
Replaceable battery, not sure about scratch proof and I'll be honest I don't want to try!
It's quite light and I will weigh it and let you know.

The bad.
You CANNOT hear this watch underwater!
This is a big complaint as this kind of kills the auto x2 etc surfacing time.
This is a real shame for me.

And a minor issue that syncing with pc syncs dives not just by date, this could be a small inconvenience if you dive off boats repeatedly all day.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT