• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer's Reel 30

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BladeRunner

Mud Puddle Diver
May 20, 2002
Does anyone know where I can get my hands Omer's Reel 30 and 1.5mm reel line?

BladeRunner OUT

Jay I'm planning on putting it on an Omer gun but I haven't decide if I should get a 90 or 100. After coming down and diving in your neck of the woods the other weekend I wanted to get setup with a larger gun. So I can do some shooting on the liberty shipwreck when I come back up in November.

I asked Matt if he knew where I could rent a boat that wasn't to expensive. I would like diving the wreck to be a part of my trip. I can't wait, four days straight to just dive and spearfish. That will be a first for me! :D

BladeRunner OUT

I'm not sure about the rental boat situation myself, we'll ask around and see whats avaliable.
I usually use a 90 or 75 on the Lib. ship unless I'm just strictly hanging out waiting for AJ's or a King, then I bring a 110 or a 130.
Hopefully we'll have some good weather for ya.
Jay

Once I get this reel for my gun can anyone tell me how I setup the reel line and shooting line to keep it nice and tight with little slack as possible. On the Omer gun there is a little metal rings on the bottom of the muzzle. Do I run the reel line through this ring then run it back to start the rap for the shooting line or do I just bypass the ring and keep the end of line as close to the reel as I can? I'm planning on using 1.5mm reel aswell.

I'm sure there are million and one ways to do it but I want to get experienced feedback if I can

thanks

BladeRunner OUT

Last edited:
I have the omer aluminum 50, it can be mounted vertically or horizontal on a euro gun, it can be screwed into a wood gun like I did on my hybrid. Available at hanapaa, can buy spectra line ect. also.

Blade,
I like my reels mounted horizontally. Run the line through the ring under the muzzle and attach a Sampo or equivalent ball bearing swivel to the reel line. I use a 400# size. Wrap your shooting line as normal. After your last wrap from your line release back towards the muzzle crimp a loop in the end of your line and attach the snap swivel. This allows you to detatch your shooting line from the reel line to change shafts easier or just pull the shaft through the fish instead of backing it out.
I spool my line on the reels so when its getting pulled off it will loosen the drag if anything. If you run the line the other way and your drag knob moves w/ your spool some, it could tighten the drag and lock your spool w/ a big fish.
In other words if you are looking at your reel w/ the drag knob facing up, I have the line coming on the right side of the spool. Just the way I do things.
Jay

I mount mine horizontally also. I belive it tracks better that way and apply little counter force against muuzle jump.

For rigging as Jay said run the reel line line from ring mounted benath the muzzle and make loop.Be sure that knot does not slip back from the ring. And you better to use easy open loop to change shafts more quicker. I am using loop, one like your shoe line (I saw this in Alberto March video). Can be opens by two finger. And shooting line is standart black nylon shooting line that came as standart with my omer gun. I use metal clips and make another loop at the end that connected to reel line. Pretty simple but effective.

Hope thats helps...

i dont know abotu the OMER 30 and 50, but i have a pelagic reel on my 130cm sporasub viper and it works beautifully...excellent reel, probably the best one out on the market right now

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT