• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

On Lunocet, C4, Dol-Fin and Traditional Monofins and Bi fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

KangJ

Jun 6, 2010
Hi!

Im new to free diving, and am looking around for the right fins, as a beginner i understand its better for me to start with the traditional monofins, but i do have some experience with fins as a professional swimmer.

Id like to know which of the above is more efficient in which area of free divng, can anyone help me do a little comparison amongst the few?

Thanks,
Kang James

I've used all of them except the Dol-fin.

My current monofin is a Triton hyperfin. There were some questions about glue quality when I first bought it, but it's been my best monofin to date. I love the style and it makes kicking much easier for someone with rigid ankles like me. My older NEMO, Waterway #2, Specialfins carbon dolphin monofins didn't have any angle to the blades and made swimming more difficult for me.

I've also owned many, many, pairs of bi-fins and they are a great way to start out. You can always use them for scuba diving, spearfishing, and depth. They have comfortable footpockets from the start and you can dolphin kick with them.

The monoflap was way too soft. I didn't like it and preferred dolphin kicking with just a standard pair of C4 bi-fins over the monoflap. Having said that, the only thing worse than the monoflap was the Lunocet. I had a chance to use the first generation version and it was complete crap. I have no idea how something so over engineered ( and expensive!) could suck so bad, but it did. I understand that they have a new version out, but it doesn't sound like it's improved too much.

The Dol-fin sounds like it might be the way to go. If it works half as good as Fattah says it does it will be my next monofin. It's pretty spendy ($1,200), but since you only need one fin for all temperatures it could end up being cheaper for me- especially seeing as how I have destroyed at least one expensive monofin so far from frequent use. If it really lasts as long as advertised it would pay for itself in about 3-4 years at the rate I burn through fins.

Just my $0.02- which I paid a lot more then $0.02 to figure out!

Jon

That (above) is the answer to the efficiency question - the Dol-fin is looking good - right now most of us use hyperfins. Problems with these can be durability and fit - since they are hand made.

For a beginner I really like the Waterway Nemo - reasonable price, good footpockets, outstanding durability and a really good blade for the price - medium or soft is the way to go.

"Id like to know which of the above is more efficient in which area of free divng, can anyone help me do a little comparison amongst the few?"

Well in order to know what for YOU is the most efficient, we need to know the type of diving you're aiming for. For instance; spearfishing, recreational freediving, competition freediving. Also aspects such as mass, muscle power, length come into play. Then there is budget off cause.

With monofinning it's usually better to start of with a medium or soft blade no angle blade such as the Water Way Classic fin. It's cheap but it has a very good blade. The lack of angle forces you to learn a good technique. As an accomplished swimmer you still need time and practice to learn a good technique. After that and "Andronov" style fin is at the moment the way to go for most. When you move on the the new fin you'll have the classic fin to lure your potential new freediving buddies.
The Nemo is more expensive than the Classic, but has the benefit of a small <about> 8 degree angle and for recreational use very comfortable footpockets.

Last edited:
I thought 11 degrees :) I agree with Kars. The Nemo goes pretty good once you get some technique. I remember when I finally got it - it was like a different fin! I kept surfacing way past where I thought I was.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT