• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ontario Canada Rules on SpearFishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Branker

Sep 3, 2013
I haven't Actually been spear fishing yet but I thought I'd better do my Homework on the matter. I'm from Ottawa and I looked up the regulations on Spear fishing in my province of Ontario. I figured I would share my findings. I see other searching for the same info.

Spear Fishing Is allowed in Ontario,Only for two types of fish. CARP and White Sucker.

Here are the rules for Spear fishing In Ontario Canada. Read This for the Details.

online photo sharing

uploading images

I hope this helps. I'll post more provinces as I learn more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi (this is a f** good thread, common canadian)
I'm a god danm't frog from québec. lol There is one good thing about my province; we can spearfish anywhere you can fish with a rod. It is the same license, quota and restrictions. The only and I mean the only difference is that we are not allowed to spearfish: Landlock salmon, Muskie(maskinongée), Salmon and sturgeon.
You can easily verify at http://www.mddep.gouv.qc.ca/faune/reglementation-en/peche/regles-generales/methodes-peche.htm#bow
I like your thread, i thought that no spearfishing was allowed outside québec.
If you ever come here i'll show you good spot.

This what we catch 35 min from downtown Montréal.

Simon

Attachments

• IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 316
Thanks for posting. I've read this as well but it doesn't seem perfectly clear to me. It doesn't actually say you can't spearfish - it says you can't possess a spear on or within 30m of the edge of a waterbody. So that means that I'm allowed to have a spear (and, therefore to spearfish) if I'm more than 30m from the shoreline. Unless we're talking carp or white sucker, which I can fish at the water's edge and in the shallows close to shore. And, Northern Pike, as it notes, is the one fish that cannot be spearfished at all.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT