• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

ontario free divers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jeanjean68

Jul 4, 2003
I'm new to the sport of free diving. My past experience is mostly scuba diving in a wreck environment. Any good spots close to Toronto? any free divers from ontario out there? for now my free diving experience is mostly in my backyard pool! can't beat this viz!
:)

A warm welcome to you, fellow Ontario freediver! (We have to maintain warm thoughts while freediving in Ontario!)

I am a member of CAFA (Canadian Association of Freediving and Apnea) and the Freedive Toronto club.

To your question, the only good places I've been to in/near Ontario are Tobermory and Morrison's quarry in Hull, Quebec. Closer to Toronto - not much luck. There are a few more shallow quarries around (8 to 10 meters), but visibility is not that great!

I have been a member of Freedive Toronto now for almost a year, and have been enjoying the sport thoroughly!! I attended an excellent clinic in Ottawa a few weeks back and participated in the competition a week later - both organized by Kirk Krack (The highly respected coach/trainer from "Performance Freediving" and president of CAFA). Both the clinic and competition are highly recommended for anyone new to the sport.

The Freedive Toronto club meets every Monday evening from 8:30pm to 10pm at St. Alban's pool in downtown Toronto to practice Static (laying face-down, holding your breath) and Dynamic (Swimming lengths underwater). Perry Gladstone (you may recognize his name from some of the recent Deeper Blue articles) is the club's president, and a very good coach. You should really come by and meet the rest of the gang! Occasionally we will organize trips to Tobermory or Ottawa, or anywhere else we may think of to go freediving.

Visit the following links to get more info:

www.freedivetoronto.com
www.freedivecanada.com

Hope to see you soon!

Dave

thank you for....

.... the fast reply. I'll visit you guys when i'm back from my vacation. Any wreck divers (scuba) in your group? Do the members in general pratice those two sports?

Jean - There's a good mix of backgrounds in the Freedive Toronto club. We have scuba divers, underwater hockey players and spearfisherman, as well as others I'm probably forgetting. My friend Doug and I were out scuba diving on a wreck in Lake Huron this weekend. They were awesome dives and I'm sure we'll go back at some point. This weekend we are going to Tobermory to freedive. I'll second Dave's invitation - you are welcome to visit the club any time. Membership info. is also posted on our web site (www.freedivetoronto.com). Hope to see you at the pool.

Gord

If you have a spare minute, I'd like to ask you to add your canadian freediving spots to the database at www.freedivingspots.net. No registration or whatsoever needed, just fill out the things you know about the location and help other freedivers find it.

Thanks!
jaap

i'll show up on the

...the 19th. I'll advice your group by email.
Quick question, i suppose the spearfishing is not practiced in Ontario. Is it legal if its in apnea and hand thrown? Is there an underwater hockey team in the toronto region? and finally how does the actual free-diving training enhance your cardiovascular fitness and endurance (ei triathon training?)
Jeanjean

Jean - The 19th is a Sat. and we only practice on Mon. Did you mean the 21st? I suspect any form of spearfishing it is illegal.

UWH is practiced on Tues. and Thurs. nights in Brampton (just north of TO). It is from 8:30-9:30 at the Balmoral Community Centre pool (on Balmoral off Dixie). You would be more than welcome to come to those practices to. I'm usually there on Thurs.

jaap - I will add to your site when I get a chance. Have you seen this page: http://www.freedivecanada.com/rec/sites/rec_sites.html

Hadn't seen that page, although I know the freedive canada website.
But it's best the sites are added by someone who knows them. I could copy the names and the other information, but since I've never been there I can't tell how deep it is, what the visibility is like and other nice to know info.

So hopefully you, or other Canadian freedivers who know the site can help out a little and add them to the database.

Benefits of freedive training

Hi Jean,

In your last post you asked:

how does the actual free-diving training enhance your cardiovascular fitness and endurance (ei triathon training?)

As a triathlete myself, I will make an attempt to draw this connection.

My thought is that freedive training improves lung capacity and breathing efficiency. Dynamic apnea also improves your ANAEROBIC system, which would be especially helpful for the swim and, to a lesser extent, the bike.

On the psychological front, I believe that by practicing freediving, you become much more aware of your body and its basic functions - so much so that it is easy to get into a very Zen-like state (another added bonus ;) ). Also, the ability to RELAX on command can be a useful skill to develop when faced with highly stressful episodes during the race (especially the swim start!).

In our group, there are three of us that do triathlons, and one that has done a half marathon. I guess we see some transferrable benefits to freedive training. My first triathlon this year is in a couple weeks (Niagara), so we'll see if all this is really true. :confused:

Later!

Dave

hi guys
I'll try to show up this monday the 14th of July. Should i bring my tri wetsuit^ Could I borrow some free diving fins^ I'm really exited and curious to see how you all train for this sport.

Dave good luck for your tri and did any of you ever dived in Oslo, Norway^ I'm going there for my August vacation and may want to try some freediving there.

God it seems i'm asking a lot of questions but do you know if there is any UWH in the Durham region^:t

Jean - I wear a full suit in the pool for static apnea training (breathhold), so I'd suggest you bring the best one you have. I will bring a pair of fins although they are size mens 8-9.

See you Monday.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT