• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Open-cell for scuba?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MKDVR

May 1, 2005
Have some decisions to make and wondering if anyone has used their open-cell freediving suit for scuba? Would be used in a harness not regular BC. Did it tear up right away and/or what was your experience?

Swapped over from my semi commercial set up of compressed neoprene custom made dry suit (at £600 a throw) to using my spare cressi 5mm spearo suit with open cell inside. Also invested in a simple STAB jacket (Aqualung Wave) instead of my back pack. This is a jacket style rather than harness attached to an inflatable bag. Have had no probs at all. Think at the beginning and end of the season when the water drops below about 10 or 12 degrees it might be too chilly for a whole days diving. Also the air temp seems to effect me a lot more than in the dry bag. I'm even using my same weight belt with about 25lbs.

Dave

i do, using it at the moment, and wished i'd known about it years ago! much more comfortable and flexible than my 7mm semi-dry.

Hi,
I use a Cressi Technica 5mm open cell spearfishing suit in the summer when scuba diving in the UK - and its great! The main benifit I noticed was massivly increased flexibility and warmth. It insulates so much better than my (thicker) semi-dry suit - I think thats down to a really good tight fit. I have noticed that its started to 'bobble' the outer layer on the shoulders and around the waist - but thats after a couple of seasons of fairly heavy use - there's tons of life left in it.
Cheers,
Ed

Ive just bought a technica but havent used it yet. Only started spearing this year been using a surfin suit but its started getting cold! in the shop i had to use talc to put it on which went everywhere! is there a easier way of putting it on?

scottie3030 said:
Ive just bought a technica but havent used it yet. Only started spearing this year been using a surfin suit but its started getting cold! in the shop i had to use talc to put it on which went everywhere! is there a easier way of putting it on?

A solution of conditioner and water. Use mine in a spray bottle. Works every time.

I've used a few of mine and they all stood up fine- I use a backplate and harness for all of my scuba diving.

The suits I used were all open cell on the inside with Nylon on the outer lining. I never tried any o my smooth skin outer suits for fear that they wouldn't hold up, but open cell/nylon is a great combo.

I've even convinced a few scubie's to switch to this kind of a wetsuit over the crap that normally gets sold to them. All have been very happy and were surprised that they could actually be warm in a wet suit.

For deco diving, around here, I would still use a dry suit. For everything else a good freediving wetsuit would fit the bill.

Jon

scottie3030 said:

Hi,
I use a little washing up liquid mixed with some water - slides on fine! I don't think there's a way of getting it on without lube!
I'm sure you'll really enjoy the Technica, its a great suit.
Ed

Jon said:
I've used a few of mine and they all stood up fine- I use a backplate and harness for all of my scuba diving.

The suits I used were all open cell on the inside with Nylon on the outer lining. I never tried any o my smooth skin outer suits for fear that they wouldn't hold up, but open cell/nylon is a great combo.

I've even convinced a few scubie's to switch to this kind of a wetsuit over the crap that normally gets sold to them. All have been very happy and were surprised that they could actually be warm in a wet suit.

For deco diving, around here, I would still use a dry suit. For everything else a good freediving wetsuit would fit the bill.

Jon

I've been using a custom/hooded 3 mil shorty under a 3 mil one piece in the springs. After watching me shiver after 40 minute dives for the last several years my buddies would be shocked to see me putting around in my 3 mil Elios. I'm considering maybe having a 5 mil open/nylon made since I'll need pockets but that raises the redundant buouyancy issue with double steels. Drysuits are such a pain in the ass. :crutch

have used both if its a single dive I may use the cressi comp 5mm for 35-40 mins at 20+m but found it getting chilly at 30m probably due to compression. in atlantic ocean at about 13-15 C. If I am doing two dives I will nearly always plumb for the drysuit for ease of changing during surface interval or if am spending a while on the boat as I found the wetsuit colder from the wind than the dry suit.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT