• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Open or closed muzzle

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bellboy7

Jan 13, 2019
Hi guys just wondering your thoughts on which muzzle is best for beginners, im thinking of getting an open muzzle on my 120cm rob allen, UNLESS u guys, think closed is, less hassle loading and better for beginners, i dont mind if it takes me a little time to get use to loading an open muzzle if its better in the long run, BE GREATFUL for any imput cheers

I prefer open muzzle. I find it a little simpler and quicker to load, less faffing around.

Some people claim aiming is better too but that is not something that I have noticed. It may be true tho'. The bridge on the Omers are unobtrusive: small and clear, on the RA the bridge is bigger and black - so the difference would be more noticeable BUT Rob Allen recommends that you aim down the side of your RA railgun, rather than over the top (at least he used to, before they offered open muzzles as an option).

For beginner a closed muzzle is a little simpler to use and understand and, perhaps, slightly safer (less to go wrong). However the difference is quite small really, so as long you "have your act together" you should be fine (e.g. learn how to load the spear - not the bands - and practice it several times before entering the water but never load or have loaded bands out of the water) .

Awesome thanks mr x, i ordered open muzzle and was starting to think i an open muzzle might be a bit to technical, THANKS U JUST HELPED REMOVE SOME OF my self doubt, cheers buddy thanks for taking the time to share ur knowledge with me, ILL PRACTICE PRACTICE and PRACTICE

Reactions: Mr. X
Awesome thanks mr x, i ordered open muzzle and was starting to think i an open muzzle might be a bit to technical, THANKS U JUST HELPED REMOVE SOME OF my self doubt, cheers buddy thanks for taking the time to share ur knowledge with me, ILL PRACTICE PRACTICE and PRACTICE
Also does the top band go under bottom band and load in first groove and bottom band loads into back groove by trigger,, ill also ask guy at store when i pick it up, ive been watching loads ov vids, on how to tie muzzle bungee, dyneema onto spear for when i get a reel, at first ill just uses a float line attached to my gun as ill only be shooting snapper and stuff from shore untill i get more experienced, I SO CANT WAIT MAN

Good enthusiasm :)

All of my spearguns can be configured with double bands but I have only ever equipped them with a single band, usually powerful bulk-rubber loops rather than shorter screw-in bands. That is enough for most UK fish and I like the simplicity and lower mass.

To answer your question though, I believe the lower band is loaded first, to the notch furthest from the tip/muzzle.

Cheers Mr X u da man, I brought a RA WITH 2X 14MM BANDS
Good enthusiasm :)

All of my spearguns can be configured with double bands but I have only ever equipped them with a single band, usually powerful bulk-rubber loops rather than shorter screw-in bands. That is enough for most UK fish and I like the simplicity and lower mass.

To answer your question though, I believe the lower band is loaded first, to the notch furthest from the tip/muzzle.
hope it's not to hard to load

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brochman
14mm bands should be pretty easy to load. Let us know how you get on. I haven't tried 14mm bands but I have some in the freezer for future use.

Hi guys just wondering your thoughts on which muzzle is best for beginners, im thinking of getting an open muzzle on my 120cm rob allen, UNLESS u guys, think closed is, less hassle loading and better for beginners, i dont mind if it takes me a little time to get use to loading an open muzzle if its better in the long run, BE GREATFUL for any imput cheers
SURE ! the only way to go open muzzle, with neodymium magnet
that u can install yourself

SURE ! the only way to go open muzzle, with neodymium magnet
that u can install yourself
Ooh magnet good idea Seatrophy, hadn't thought of that. I have a box of small, powerful magnets than would be ideal for this. Just checked, they grip my stainless steel spear strongly. Perhaps a bit more strongly than necessary for my v. lightweight 6.3mm spears. Something to experiment with :)

Reactions: seatrophy
Ooh magnet good idea Seatrophy, hadn't thought of that. I have a box of small, powerful magnets than would be ideal for this. Just checked, they grip my stainless steel spear strongly. Perhaps a bit more strongly than necessary for my v. lightweight 6.3mm spears. Something to experiment with :)
Magnet u guys lost me,, hey FLOAT LINE OR

Magnet u guys lost me,, hey FLOAT LINE OR
A magnet, embedded in the muzzle, could likely help loading by attracting the spear towards the correct position. It would then help hold the spear in position while the spearline is wrapped around the muzzle and over the spear.

Perhaps magnets could even be arranged such that it is no longer necessary to secure the spear in the muzzle with the spearline. That would simplify & speed up loading a little.

Although I have some concern that some of your band's power will be used up overcoming the magnets hold. But it might be insignificant.

Re."FLOATLINE OR", FLOATLINE of course!(???)

If you need or prefer a reel (e.g. deep water, large/stubborn/ hard fighting fish) then use one. Not a big deal, I believe it's normal/common in the Mediterranean. We tend not to need them here in the UK and it's cheaper/simpler/quicker not to.

I keep my speargun clipped to my floatline, SA-style, so the speargun and any speared fish stay connected to my dive float. Not everyone does this, for example, some prefer to attach their floatline to their weightbelt. Another option for large fish would be to use a breakaway rig.

If you need or prefer a reel (e.g. deep water, large/stubborn/ hard fighting fish) then use one. Not a big deal, I believe it's normal/common in the Mediterranean. We tend not to need them here in the UK and it's cheaper/simpler/quicker not to.

I keep my speargun clipped to my floatline, SA-style, so the speargun and any speared fish stay connected to my dive float. Not everyone does this, for example, some prefer to attach their floatline to their weightbelt. Another option for large fish would be to use a breakaway rig.
Yea perfect tips mr x, cheers i was thinking of using a, floatline too, to start with untill i get experienced,, ive seen some guys, useing reels looks a little more FREEDOM,,, I PICK UP MY Ruku fins this sunday, cant wait, i ordered a rob allen 120cm OPEN MUZZLE, after taking ur advice, got a epsealon Lebrax 5mm suit, just need socks for my fins and gloves, and a knife, WHATS A PAIR of gloves good for shooting and crayfish,??? Was thinking of getting a Mac Coltellerie Torpedo 11 Knife, looks good for berley and IKI

Hi, Bellboy I have been using 2x14mm bands on my Sporasub one speargun as i was looking at the RA spearguns and came across the RA Snapper and thought that the setup they had on it of 2x14mm bands set up was a good idea for UK waters. And as you said yourself they have less mass so less water resistance,they contract quicker,easier bands to pull so less energy spent then if i am shore diving for say Flatfish i will just load one band if i am going to deeper waters for bigger species i can load two bands 2x14=28 so more power than a single 19mm band but less effort to load yet less recoil so better range and accuracy.

Last edited:
About the band loading order- I'm not sure what you mean by top and bottom band. But in every gun I've used, the rear band (closest to the butt) is loaded first in the forward most fin or slot (closest to the muzzle). Then the front band is loaded over it to the rear fin or slot.

Hi, Bellboy I have been using 2x14mm bands on my Sporasub one speargun as i was looking at the RA spearguns and came across the RA Snapper and thought that the setup they had on it of 2x14mm bands set up was a good idea for UK waters. And as you said yourself they have less mass so less water resistance,they contract quicker,easier bands to pull so less energy spent then if i am shore diving for say Flatfish i will just load one band if i am going to deeper waters for bigger species i can load two bands 2x14=28 so more power than a single 19mm band but less effort to load yet less recoil so better range and accuracy.

Cheers brochman, sounds like i made a good choice, cool how u can use just one rubber i never new u could shoot ur gun with only 1of th 2 x14mm, rubbers loaded, i love ur profile pic ur the man lolz

About the band loading order- I'm not sure what you mean by top and bottom band. But in every gun I've used, the rear band (closest to the butt) is loaded first in the forward most fin or slot (closest to the muzzle). Then the front band is loaded over it to the rear fin or slot.
Interesting Bill, I figured the closest band is loaded first but had wrongly assumed that it was loaded to the rear-most notch/fin. Thanks for clarifying.

If you load the first band to the rear notch or fin then the front notch or fin will be buried under that band and you will have a very hard time getting the wishbone of the second band down to it. It there is a tall front fin you might have a chance, but its a notch in the shaft then I think its almost impossible to get the wishbone down through the first band to the slot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X and foxfish
Here is a photo to illustrate. The wishbone of the first band is on the rear of three fins. This band isn't loaded since I'm afraid to do that out of the water. It would be thinner if stretched, but the two side would be pulled tight against each other. See how it would be hard to get to the two front fins with the band already loaded on the rear fin. It would help if you had a very long wishbone, but I think even a long wishbone would keep you from getting wishbones of subsequent bands down to a slot in the shaft.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT