• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

open or closed rail?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fishstick22

Mar 9, 2011
Ordering a railgun soon just curious which you WI guys prefer, Im leaning towards open as they say reloads are faster. What are your thoughts????

Open is faster reload, but closed is probably a more accurate gun. I think more of us use open rail. But that doesn't mean it's better or we've done our research. I'm thinking Close Rail is a little bit more expensive - But I have no Idea.

Just my 2 cents.

MAKO Oceanic ETR (Enclosed Track Railgun)

MAKO introduced the first production Enclosed Track Railgun (ETR) about 10 months ago. It is actually faster to reload, than an open rail. Once the rear of the shaft is inserted into the track, the gun can be tipped up and the shaft falls directly into the mechanism, quick and easy.

The ETR does cost more than an open rail. It is more expensive to manufacture and there are development costs associated with fabrication of the very special barrel whcih accepts a HDPE enclosed track.

For the ETR, the open muzzle is the only option for the shark fin tabs. For our open rail guns, open muzzle is significantly more popular, but it comes down to personal preferance.

personally, i would miss seeing the spear in the aiming process with a closed rail.

I've got the Mako 60 cm open rail. Can reload in 15 seconds, and it's the most accurate gun I've ever used. Perfect for Wisconsin panfish, and more than enough punch for larger fish. I love the concept of their ETR, but they don't make one short enough for freshwater. Anything longer than 75-80 cm would be difficult to wield in low vis at small, darting targets, I think.
Posted via Mobile Device

personally, i would miss seeing the spear in the aiming process with a closed rail.

It is not quite like that though because you still see a nice sight line down the visible part of the spear.
You see what looks like 2-3mm silver line & the added benefit of sighting the spear tabs too.
However if you just instinct shoot & dont actually sight down the barrel then it is easier to use the open track as the whole visible spear does help.
Either way you soon learn & adapt ..... it will always be a personal choice as both formats have their merits.

Got my gun the other day and I am real impressed with it. Dano even threw in some extras for me!!! Thanks Dano

I have a mako 110 open rail for when I get to Ocean its a bit of a challenge to load the bands at first as I can barel get my hands on them with the but agains my chest. Definetly don't have the aim figured out on that. The other thing that makes me wonder is that it uses a coated cable not string so wondering how much that impacts trajectory. Any way there is my totally unrelated and late 2 cents worth.

Got my gun the other day and I am real impressed with it. Dano even threw in some extras for me!!! Thanks Dano

Dano's a good guy and his customer service is good. I ordered his blue camo wetsuit, i made a size mistake and he rushed another one right to me. Enjoy your gun and dive safe!:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT