• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

opinions on rob allen aluminum vecta 120cm

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

apnea_beast

Apr 13, 2007
hi all,

i would like to hear from some rob allen shooters about their experience with an aluminum vecta 120. pro/cons, range, accuracy, best shaft/band setup?

thanks

All i know is that its worth geting the carbon barrel. Im not in the knowlege
but evoryone i know tells me this.

Hiya

Carbon is prefered in lengths exceeding 110cm's is euro type guns, due to carbon being stiffer than alluminuim, therefor flexing less. How-ever, depending on the application, a alluminuim gun in 120cm length will work just as well. Personal opinion is that the alluminuim gun will be a little heavier, thus being able to absorb more recoil. Also, the RA guns have a extruded rail, making the barrel stronger and stiffer than a normal euro type gun.

Set-ups. For smaller, fast moving or flighty fish, a 6.6mm RA spear and a single 16mm or 18mm band will work well. For meduim to larger sized reef fish and smaller pelagics, a 7mm and a single 18mm or 20mm band will work well. For a little more power when hunting very large quary, a 7.5mm RA spear with 2x16mm's will be perfect. With even this set-up, you'd still be ok with a 120cm Alluminuim gun.

Full range would pretty much be the same as on any other 120cm railgun, which is about 6.5m from your hand.

Railguns have always be reknown for their accuracy. Depending on your set-up, a single 16mm and a 6.6mm spear will be more accurate than a 7.5mm spear with 2x16mm's.

Regards
miles

Reactions: akkosons and Milan
hey,

I recently purchased a RA 100cm the TUNA 900 with the Vecta system. It is the allum. model so I cant speak as for weight against the Carbon but I know it shoots dead nut straight. This is my first Euro style gun, as I have only shot American Wood in the past but I have no complaints. I have it with the RA reel and the 7.5mm shaft with (2) 16mm bands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Milan
miles,

what kind of accuracy should i expect with the 7mm shaft and 20mm band? are we talking sub 1" groupings? when you say reduced accuracy with a 7.5 or 8mm shaft and 2*16mms are we talking >2" groupings?

also by effective range you mean full penetration on what size fish?

i've heard some of the earlier vecta's had some problems with jamming etc. am i right to say those issues have been worked out?

thanks

Hiya

Here's a video clip of Anthony Judge from Australia with his 130 RA, showing the accuracy. This was his second shot... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUka-5qYFus]YouTube - R.A accuracy[/ame] EXACT grouping has not been done, so i can't comment. I'm too interested in spearing fish than spending time in a pool testing groupings!!rofl Might do that one day when the weather is lousy. Will put it on my "things to do" list!!:D

i've heard some of the earlier vecta's had some problems with jamming etc. am i right to say those issues have been worked out?
RA did have some quality issues with their very first batch of Vecta's, but thats all been resolved and all of them have been attended to under warranty. My two VECTA's, which are also from the earlier models have been trouble free, like pretty much all of RA's gear.

Regards
miles

hey,

I recently purchased a RA 100cm the TUNA 900 with the Vecta system. It is the allum. model so I cant speak as for weight against the Carbon but I know it shoots dead nut straight. This is my first Euro style gun, as I have only shot American Wood in the past but I have no complaints. I have it with the RA reel and the 7.5mm shaft with (2) 16mm bands.

What sort of range did you get with that setup?? Also do you know if the RA tuna gun can take a 7mm shaft instead??

Hiya

Carbon is prefered in lengths exceeding 110cm's is euro type guns, due to carbon being stiffer than alluminuim, therefor flexing less. How-ever, depending on the application, a alluminuim gun in 120cm length will work just as well. Personal opinion is that the alluminuim gun will be a little heavier, thus being able to absorb more recoil. Also, the RA guns have a extruded rail, making the barrel stronger and stiffer than a normal euro type gun.

Set-ups. For smaller, fast moving or flighty fish, a 6.6mm RA spear and a single 16mm or 18mm band will work well. For meduim to larger sized reef fish and smaller pelagics, a 7mm and a single 18mm or 20mm band will work well. For a little more power when hunting very large quary, a 7.5mm RA spear with 2x16mm's will be perfect. With even this set-up, you'd still be ok with a 120cm Alluminuim gun.

Full range would pretty much be the same as on any other 120cm railgun, which is about 6.5m from your hand.

Railguns have always be reknown for their accuracy. Depending on your set-up, a single 16mm and a 6.6mm spear will be more accurate than a 7.5mm spear with 2x16mm's.

Regards
miles

Can the RA tuna gun take a 7mm shaft instead of the 7.5mm one it comes with??

RA rocks in my expérience I havehad mares cressi etc RA is so much simpler accurate and reliable. I have the Al and the C weight is négligeable shooting is dead on. My only objection is the shooting line mess when loading the double band. For big prey I do not use reels too many scavenging sharks.
Buy any RA and you will never be disappointed.

Reactions: Milan
RA has solid gear across the board. My current go to setup has left all the other guns on the dock lately. I run a 120 with 7mm shaft and a 20mm single band & 50m reel. I have a breakaway rig for it as well. For bigger game or using breakaway I have a 130 with 7.5 and 7mm shaft, I personally don't see much of a difference in accuracy of distance with either one. 130 has two 16mm bands but I have had solid shots on snapper and smaller AJ with single 16mm loaded. I want to try shark fin shaft on the 130. I have a shaft with helper fin on the 120 because my eyeballs feel like they are exploding when trying to load the single 20mm band. After you get a technique the hernias and hemroids from struggle go away

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT