• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

optical lenses dive-mask in Thailand?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

glassfish

Feb 20, 2005
Hi divers!

Has anyone here an idea where in Thailand I can buy a custom made dive mask with optical lenses?
My brother wants to settle over to Papua New Guinea and his eyes are too bad to take contact-lenses (I guess some 10 dioptrene).Here in Germany this is very expensive (around 500 USD) but if it is available in thailand it should be much cheper.

Thanks...glassfish :cool: :hmm :cool:

I used to dive with a guy in the mid 70's before prescription lenses could be put into masks, he rigged uo a wire cradle that held a spare pair of glasses inside his mask, he always said in later years that that set up was actually better than the custon ground mask. Just a thought :) Maybe the best place to ask would be the local dive centres, they should know :)

A few places in the U.S. will make a custom insert out of optical plastic and glue it to the inside of any mask. The quality is excellent and the glue they use is supposed to never turn yellow. I had it done through my local dive shop, but I believe they used these people http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/. It cost me right at $200 for corrective with bifocals. I still get a kick how good I can see with it. It makes diving so much more enjoyable. And for freediving the inserts lower the internal volume of the mask a little too. It doesn’t seem to fog any worse than a normal mask ask either.

The dive shop told me to buy a new mask, because once you put $200 into it, you want it to last awhile. I’m sure they could ship it to you in Thailand or Germany. He might even have the optical shop buy the mask of your brother’s choosing so he would only have to pay shipping once.
don

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT