• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Other random news

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

samdive

Mermaid, Musician and Marketer
Nov 12, 2002
Deepest Dave, Mad Dog Mark McHarris and I went up to Dorothea last weekend for some altitude training at a secret deep lake in North Wales (Dorothea) with Alun G, Sam S and Dave H.

Aside from blinding us with science (mouthfill, haemoglobin levels and the like)- the guys showed us some great hospitality, introduced us to the world of deep dark lake dives without scubies at the bottom (freaked me!) and took us for a rocking night out in Caernarvon....

In between times, the guys swam through an 8m long tunnel at 22m.... I chickened out on seeing the small, dark entrance....

The way up to Dorothea is pretty extreme, pot holed track through the woods and big sign declaring "dangerous waters, diving banned!" - if that doesn't do it, the huge mob of - not particularly attractive - hard core, northern Brit tech divers with portable compressors at the top is enough to put you off scuba for life.... glamorous? my hobby? !

.. one, not particularly bright, specimen chose to ask US if we had a handy O2 analyser..... yeah right...

and after diving we walked half way up Snowdown and put the world to rights.....

and then when we got back to the B and B.....Mark slept at Dave's feet in a dog bed....

the weather wasn't great so not many photos - what there are you can see on the gallery on
www.saltfreedivers.com

beautiful place undoubtedly and more to explore - but give me the dive platform, the warm changing rooms, the toilets that are not a bush a million people have hidden behind before, the quick drive over the bridge rather than 6 hours in the car and the burger van of NDC any day....

thanks again Alun and see you next time!

Sam

Last edited:
i enjoyed the weekend very much also!

next time i'll bring my bright torch to light up that tunnel properly! i must admit i've never seen the tunnel quite that dark before - you can almost always see the light from the other side. it only takes a couple of scuba divers to kick up the silt.

maybe we could organise a 3-day w/e sometime - perhaps next year - with an open invite especially to the saltfree crowd. we could all dive in Dorothea (recreational dives rather than depth perhaps) and in the sea off Anglesey or the Lleyn peninsula... could possibly charter a boat?

Reactions: samdive
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT