• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Our Aquarium (Cape Town)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

capetownguy

Sharks Beware!
Jul 20, 2007
just thought id post afew photos of our two oceans aquarium here in the waterfront cape town.....(so you can see the kind of underwater environment and fish/sharks etc. we have in our oceans)

Attachments

• aquarium 1.jpg
    aquarium 1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 190
  • aquarium 2.jpg
    aquarium 2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 163
  • aquarium 5.jpg
    aquarium 5.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 171
  • aquarium 6.jpg
    aquarium 6.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 166
  • aquarium 7.jpg
    aquarium 7.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 172
the rest of the photos

Attachments

• aquarium 10.jpg
    aquarium 10.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 169
  • aquarium 9.jpg
    aquarium 9.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 157
  • aquarium 8.jpg
    aquarium 8.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC00250.jpg
    DSC00250.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC00251.jpg
    DSC00251.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Wow very nice photos. Are those Yellow Tail Jacks? (Your first post.. Last picture).

I run into quite a lot of people from Cape Town and they are constantly suggesting that I go down there and dive. I would love to go and dive anywhere so its on my to do list :).

Dunno about the jacks part but we call them yellowtail here....mmmmm mouth is watering just thinking about them....heehee
summer is on its way here and so are the yellowtail...so i reakon a trip here would be good right about now...

Haha yeah no time like the present :). I am a bit tied up now at the moment but I am hoping that my new change of career that will take place in Canada will aid me in travelling around and being able to visit these places.

For this to be a truly capetonian picture, What Greg's photo's missing is the 6m Great White swimming in amongst all that.:D

Hey there, i dived the aquarium last year :) it was fantastic!! i dived both tanks, the shark and the kelp. Will post piccies later! 2 Oceans is a fantastic aquarium. :)

Reactions: BatRay
hehe, those little sharks are so fun to play around with. I was once diving for crayfish and there where some guys in a little canoe, who had their crayfish ring stuck. They asked me to try get it loose. Now when i went down, there just happened to be a big pyjama shark chopping their bait bag, so I took the opportunity to play a little prank. I grabbed the shark swam up and as I surfaced I dumped the Shark into their canoe. The panic was histerical! It was quite funnyrofl:t

Someone suggested that they make good biltong, but everytime I see one I never have the heart to shoot it, they always seem so innocent and graceful.

Last edited:
hehe, those little sharks are so fun to play around with. I was once diving for crayfish and there where some guys in a little canoe, who had their crayfish ring stuck. They asked me to try get it loose. Now when i went down, there just happened to be a big pyjama shark chopping their bait bag, so I took the opportunity to play a little prank. I grabbed the shark swam up and as I surfaced I dumped the Shark into their canoe. The panic was histerical! It was quite funnyrofl:t

Someone suggested that they make good biltong, but everytime I see one I never have the heart to shoot it, they always seem so innocent and graceful.

awww shame i couldnt either! :D it was the cutest little thing and very friendly. check out some pics of raggy tank and the kelp tank :)

Attachments

• kelp tank.JPG
    kelp tank.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 152
  • kelptank2.JPG
    kelptank2.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 163
  • predatortank3.JPG
    predatortank3.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 155
  • raggy.JPG
    raggy.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 178
  • kelptank3.JPG
    kelptank3.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 145
How in the world do you get permission to dive an aquarium? That would be so awesome. I know I always want to climb in the tanks when I visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Over here it's quite easy if, you just need a basic scuba course, and about R400. (thats probally about 57$). You could even make friends with people like BlueCape who works there!:D

Islands sands - They have now released those old raggies, there are now no longer any sharks in the big tank. The only real sharks they have now are juvenile raggies in a smaller tank which you can't dive in. So you where quite lucky to get a dive in with the raggies :)

Last edited:
oh really!!! wow i am lucky then. it was an AWESOME experience. the dive guide had a big stick to push them off if necessary. looking at the size of their teeth i wouldnt have thought it was worthwhile rofl

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT