• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Out west

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

greatwhitepike

Apr 12, 2006
Oh man you guys should have seen the Mountain whitefish I was chillin with today they were gorgeous! and they were so hungry they were even cleaning my fins.

This should be good for a laugh. So i haven't even really looked into getting a spear yet but I've been practicing my stalking and let me tell ya I've missed some darn good oportunities. Today when those whitefish were being way to brave for their own good I decided that I'd see if I could hook one. Well I had one hook I'd found diving in sylvan in the truck and thats it. Well i got the old dental floss out of the truck and put a couple of feet on the hook waded back out and hung there until the big guys came back of course they weren't interested in it hanging so i just set it on the bottom right in front of them eventually a big one sucked it up and bam I pull him out of the water. Of course just long enough for my buddy to see and snap there goes the floss. After he hit the water again he just sat their with my hook in the corner of his mouth just stunned, as was I. He sat their long enough for me to snap out of it and I went back under and got both my hands around him but he wiggled free. And thats the story of my first almost caught fish "dive hooking" which BTW you dont need a pimp for.

It sure is way more interesting being one these guys turf.

Hey BTW I'll be at Twin this weekend SCUBA diving but I'd sure like to meet some free divers to dive with too. I usually free dive for an hour or so before I put the tanks on. Man it's fun to tease the SCUBA guys on the platform without any gear on. I drive the red Navigator if you come out.

Sounds like a fun experience but next time please use good quality line so you don't leave hooks in fishes. Also when you have a speargun in your hand you will notice a change in the fish behavior they will stay farther away. I will not be able to make it this weekend as I am heading for to Edson to do some fly fishing.

the hook didn't sink very far and it was barbless so I don't think it'll stick for long. I really did think that floss was stronger it was probably a bad knot. Yes I'll be there both Sat and Sun between 11 - 3.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT