• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Over 20lb bass.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Old Man Dave

Feb 19, 2005
Well I did it at last. Today I had a date with destiny. After 40 years of spearing I have broken the 20lb bass barrier. Actually I smashed it, 21lb 4oz (pic to follow). Despite the expected only one foot vis I decided to venture out at first light. I felt good and after a 2 mile swim I was managing 3 minute bottom times in 30 metres. With only a 5 minute surface recovery, I was on my third dive when out of the gloom appeared the huge fish. Being too close to get a bead on it even with my little 75cm euro gun I thought I had no chance. Then instinct took over and I grabbed it by the lower jaw. What a fight it put up but I held on and slowly I kicked for the surface. Despite a huge running swell I managed to subdue the mighty fish and started the long swim back to shore all the while fighting a 5 knot current. Two hour later I flopped exhausted on to the shore still clutching my prize. I felt sad to have killed such a magnificent fish but proud of my achievement. Today’s date will be a date to remember. By the way what is today’s date?

Dave

Well as it was not speared, merely grabbed, it doesn't count for the FoM :t

That does sound like quite an achievement haha. Did anyone see you on shore, you would look like quite the guy if someone saw it with no spear hole in it! And don't feel bad about getting the creature, think about it, because you didn't spear it, you got that fish on an absolute 100% level playing field, if not, the fish had all the advantage!

-John

Reactions: Old Man Dave
3 minute bottom time at 30 meters is pretty awesome by anyone's standards, pretty impressive. Needless to say....... pic or ban rofl

Dave I am so sorry but the pics just did not come out! I think it was the bass splashing about in the shallows that got water on the lens, anyhow I gave one of the fillets to the children's home & have invited the family around for tea so we can all share your most magnificent catch!

And didn’t you do all this while suffering with the worst bout of flu that you’ve had for years.

Like it Dave I like it a lot.roflrofl

You beat me to it! I have to confess I fell for it, but nice story anyway! rofl

Dave,
I think we can call you "Santiago" from now on (that was the name of the old man and the sea right?) Happy april fools day sir!

Classic, grabbing it by the lower jaw! It was so nicely described I could visualize the whole thing.

roflroflrofl
Nice one Dave! Only just saw this as I haven't been getting topic notifications for some reason. As the 1 Apr had passed, I have to admit I was actually taken in for a few seconds. It was the 3 miniute breath hold rather than the 20lb bass which made me suspicious though!

Me too! ... then I woke up .
Happy April 1st OMD

I was just about to write nice grab, but then I read the question at the end...

Nice one!

I dont understand why you all find this so funny, we had a great meal?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…