• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

packing a wet suit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
U should not fold the wet suit. just place it on hangers and cover it with nylon and make sure it is dry.
Folding it may cause permanent fold marks and will make it lose elasticity by time.

So when you do have to put it in a suitcase try to find a place where it will get the lowest amount of pressure and try to do the lest amounts of folds. When you get at your place of arrival as soon as possible hang it back up or lay out. Many fold marks come out. I packed my suit around and the only major fold marks are around the shoulders because of streamlining.

roll it up inside a towel so nothing sharp is touching it. get it out as soon as you can

Reactions: land shark
matrixed82 said:
Don't bother folding it, just wear it on the plane :t

Every try that with a 5 mm custom suit on a 12 hour flight? I am surprised no one throw you out of the plane from the smell you would make. :martial

JPPLAY said:
Every try that with a 5 mm custom suit on a 12 hour flight? I am surprised no one throw you out of the plane from the smell you would make. :martial
The trick is to find a conditioner that neutralizes the smell of urine:cool:

matrixed82 said:
Don't bother folding it, just wear it on the plane :t
rofl ...of course! Wear your mask, snorkel too.
matrixed82 said:
The trick is to find a conditioner that neutralizes the smell of urine:cool:
rofl JimDoeToYou has some competition.

I usually loosely fold my suit & keep it in a big, tough, breathable but cheap Ikea blue bag (cost: about 1 pound I think). It goes on the top -- nothing else on top. I use another, smaller Ikea blue bag for my weight belt. (I hate going to Ikea, nasty layout, but some of their stuff offers unbeatable value. They also sell some stuff not available elsewhere.)

Do the folding marks appear only on smoothskin suits or nylon suits as well? On all kind of wetsuits?

they appear on suits with none smooth skin exterior as well, but they do come out eventually...

I too use an ikea bag most of the time, but i must say i am not as careful as the other guys, but then i dont have a smooth skin suit at the moment (but in the past when i did have one i was extra careful with it!)

Another idea is to roll it loosely AROUND a towel inside the suitcase, which minimizes the stress that could lead to creases. I should know; I own about NINE wetsuits! :D

Todd

I folded it once down the middle, then rolled it up. It turned out ok. A crease or two, but they more or less came out. I'd say rolling around a towel would be better, because the first few rolls wouldnt be as tight.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT