• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pain in filling whilst spearfishing...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

the_milkman

Totally addicted to bass.
May 25, 2006
Hi,

Just had a filling in one of my teeth a couple of weeks ago :blackeye. First dive, and hit 5m and got pain in the newly filled tooth. It had been a bit sensitive since the drilling, so didn't think anything of it, and just speared shallow that day.

Went back in a week later, the sensitivity had settled down, so thought I'd have no problems but again got to 5m and there it was...really annoying, it ruined another dive, I just could not get past 5m without bad pain.

Have any other spearos had this problem? Is it something that goes away in time?

Sounds to me like the dentist left a little air trapped in the hole in your tooth when he put the filling. This will cause the pain when you dive and as far as I know there's no way of stopping it unless you get the filling taken out and put in again.

I was very explicit with my dentist when I had my fillings put in that I was a diver and could not have any airspaces in my fillings. I've had no troubles with them and i've taken them fairly deep. One came out but he replaced it and I had no troubles.

Also, if you have a little infection or the hole isn't cleaned/drilled out properly then some gas can build up which would have the same result.

I would contact your dentist and tell him that there must be some air trapped in the filling and ask if it's possible to have it replaced. They should do it (and for free too) because I imagine there would be ramifications for flying as well, and in my opinion they didn't doo the job right in the first place if there's air in it.

Unfortunately these sorts of problems don't go away by themselves - a replacement filling is pretty much your only option.

Cheers,
Ben

Thanks mate - kind of thought it might involve a trip back to the dentist, but I was hoping not!!

As Benny says but since but also you might get away with pushing it untill the surrounding tissue of the cavity/airspace bursts filling the cavity/air pocket with blood and instant relief(you hope). Any gas will be removed and the cavity eventually filled with tissue.....great choice to have to make I would want to be getting payed to make that one!

wow, suddenly the repeat visit to the dentist seems like a walk in the park

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…