• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

paint camouflage wetsuits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Arab-Fabolous

Jun 12, 2011
hey guys, am wondering if i can paint my wetsuit from black to be a camouflage, cuz the dive shops here doesnt have a variety of colors, its either too green or too blue, so i was thinking if i can do my own to fit in places i go to. can this work , specially i dont have enough experience in drawing and painting !! in case its possible what is the paint to be used !!

hmmm, sounds like you would have to be careful so that you do not melt the suit with the solvents in the paint. Choose the paint carefully.

i do not know about these types of paint.

Hi
I was also after info on painting a wetsuit. I bought a 7mm Cressi technica suit but it has very large areas of black and I wanted to paint over those and to cammo my fins and spear gun.
I found a u-tube video that was very useful, Google for ......... Custom painted freedive/spearfishing wetsuit

In it the guy uses Delta ceramacote paints with a textile binder. Looks great.
I've ordered some from the states and I'll post something when I know how well/badly it works.
Cheers

From a few threads on here apparently the camo isn't much of an advantage if any advantage at all! I wouldn't know personally but the risk of making a suit stiff, or ruining it completely, seems to be for little gain.

I'd also be careful of anything on you-tube, some great stuff on there, but even Mythbusters shows us how much is fake.

I have just had a custom made suit design for me with a camo body & black areas as this is regarded as a good effective camo!!!
Just like your cressi!

Attachments

• suit.jpg
    suit.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 184
Hi again
I'm not the most patient man in the world and couldn't wait for "Delta ceramacote" paints from the US of A. I went to a local craft type shop and they sold me a set of "dimensionally stable" cloth paints in a box with textile modifier for $8. I tried it all on an old suit first and it worked very well, so I tried it on my Cressi and ,so far, so good. It was easy and the suit doesn't feel any different than it did before I painted it and the color stays on just fine.
Wether cammo works or not is a very moot point indeed. Most "cammo" suits have a huge ,usually brightly colored, makers name plastered all over them. Looks great in photos but for cammo to work at all it has to be complete, or all you are doing is waving a brightly colored fish frightener around. Cammo tends to be all or nothing. I haven't had nearly the experience with cammo suits that some people have but from what I've seen so far cammo does make a difference and ,I hope, now that my suits don't have bright orange or large white areas or lettering on the head or chest areas, that they will be even more effective.

I shifted to Camo suits 5 years ago, In NZ we have butterfish trevelly and snapper that all react badly to black suits, THe yellowtail kingfish don't seem to mind at all either way.

I coloured in the advertising with a black marker.

If you have a good breath hold, then camo is the best, if your flopping around on the surface it makes no difference.

I have seen a lot of spearos DIY camo their suites. All you need is a textile or fabric paint which you can get at just about any craft shop. I believe they are all water based so wont hurt the suit and once dried they don't come off.

I just dove with a guy from california who camo'ed his suit with a sponge and red and blue paint. Looked really good and once he was on the bottom beyond 40-50 ft his profile completely disappeared.

Totally missed this post! :D

Hi again
I'm not the most patient man in the world and couldn't wait for "Delta ceramacote" paints from the US of A. I went to a local craft type shop and they sold me a set of "dimensionally stable" cloth paints in a box with textile modifier for $8. I tried it all on an old suit first and it worked very well, so I tried it on my Cressi and ,so far, so good. It was easy and the suit doesn't feel any different than it did before I painted it and the color stays on just fine.
Wether cammo works or not is a very moot point indeed. Most "cammo" suits have a huge ,usually brightly colored, makers name plastered all over them. Looks great in photos but for cammo to work at all it has to be complete, or all you are doing is waving a brightly colored fish frightener around. Cammo tends to be all or nothing. I haven't had nearly the experience with cammo suits that some people have but from what I've seen so far cammo does make a difference and ,I hope, now that my suits don't have bright orange or large white areas or lettering on the head or chest areas, that they will be even more effective.

You sure can paint your suit. I did. Also look on youtube.com for instructions on painting , type in painting a wetsuit. Here is what I did.
Craft paints at Walmart, get the textile medium at Michael's and ask for it. They dont put next to the paints as they should trust me on that one, just say, where is your textile or fabric medium. Brush your paints on using a synthetic cheap brush from Home Depot. You may have go over it again as the wetsuit material will absorb. If u wanna make it more blurry, after brushing, use a sponge to soften the edges. I have three suits with my own camo. One in greenish brown with light yellow green strips to mimick kelp. One with the leopard shark pattern just for fun and one with gray brown splotches and green and blue patterns for around the rocks for upcomming lobster season. You dont need to "set" the paint with an iron, just hang your suit over the steering wheel of your car on a hot or warm day with the windows up for a couple of hours. The suits will look factory and will not run nor fade. Two of my suits are 3 months old with the paint. Everyone loves them and I have had to paint friends stuff too. Remember-One part fabric medium, two parts paint

The method I have prescribed to paint your wetsuit with craft paints and textile medium is so far the least expensive and readily available and the most durable. I highly suggest typing in painting a wetsuit on youtube.com so you can see for yourself.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT