• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Paint, Newspaper, and fun in the garage

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

EEZerik

Aug 1, 2004
I thought I might share I suppose a "DIY" for a eurogun. A paintjob! I am not sure how well it will hold up but time will tell!!

"Tools":
Three different brushes, one tapered, two flat
Newspaper

Materials:
Testors spray enamel (I went to local store and purchased for 2.50/can) in the following colors: Metallite Blue; Metallic Green, Black, Yellow, and White.

"Klear Koat" - Clear coat spray to protect the paint

"I put down my gun and picked up a Brush"

Despite some of the best conditions of the past 3 months, the murky 10-15 foot vis didn't keep me in the water the WHOLE weekend, so after getting some fish I decided to work on a project:

It was Thursday evening and I headed over to the Walmart to pick up some goods: Blue Metallic Flake Testors Spray enamel and White Testors Spray enamel, and a couple of brushes. Oh, who could forget the ice cream cookie?

I got home and flip on the fluorescent light, laid the garage with some Wall Street Journal, and sprayed some of the paint into the cup while the rest fumed up and made me dizzy!!

I grabbed a brush ready to go to work, but turns out the blue is way too transparent, so the next day I decided to line the rail with some masking tape and spray the whole thing, making my base color to work around. Adding different amounts of white to the metallic blue, I made 3 different shades and globbed them on. I soon learned that spraying onto the newspaper and mixing was quicker than trying to shoot all of it in a cup!

----
Part 2

I was a little bit more prepared with the next gun, which would be a green camo. I tested out the green that I had made from Green and Black, with a touch of white and painted the base coat. It is primarily made of 2 shades, but there are 3 total on there, consisting of different combinations of green, yellow, and black. Here are the pictures, as well as the

"Camo paint" put to the test...

I had just finished painting my guns with a Camouflage design and it was now time to put it to the test! I drove down to Laguna Beach on Easter, put on my camo suit and with gun in hand, crossed Pacific Coast Highway, (which was loaded with the typical holiday traffic). It took me 10 minutes to get across the street! I hopped in, looked around, and spotted what I first thought to be a leopard shark. I soon realized it was a White Seabass as the beautiful yellow fins contrasted the shiny silvery body of the fish. Though it was a little hazy underwater, it was definitely a White Seabass! The most prized fish in California! Its back was turned from me! Its back was turned from me...I waited, waited, waited, and BAM shot in the face. He ended up being 34", Got out 15 minutes later.

Back in the water...

Happy spearing!!

Attachments

• paintjob_1.jpg
    paintjob_1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 216
  • paintjob_2.jpg
    paintjob_2.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 270
  • CBASS2.jpg
    CBASS2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 210
  • cbass3.jpg
    cbass3.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT