• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Painting fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ebrs

May 3, 2016
I wanted to paint my fins a camo pattern. I have plastic fin and I was wondering if anyone had any experience painting their fins. The only thing I'm really concerned with is the paint chipping and polluting the ocean, as fish and other wildlife would eat it. I have a friend that does a lot of artwork with spray paint and recommended an acylic spray paint made for plastic and sealing the blades once finished. Any advice?

That seems like a good option, but I wanted to do a multi-color camo that matches my wetsuit, which has blues and yellows also. I found a video of how to dip something to get a marbling effect that would really look good. Im goona give it a shot and post the results

So I saw a video on YouTube on how to paint something using the dip method to give a swirl or marbling affect. Basically you sparay whatever coors you want into a tub of ater and the paint floats, then you swirl the colors and dip the fins. I am pretty happy with the results. The next step is to seal them to prevent cracking or flaking.
IMG-20170108-WA0003.jpg IMG-20170108-WA0004.jpg

I had some acrylic modelling paint spare and went to work on an old pair of scuba fins with some sponges and applied the paint that way and it worked ok. I didn't seal it or anything so the paint does wear somewhat but to be honest it looks better and more natural with some wear. It gives a rustic look and is not as professional looking as the water tub method above but horses for courses etc. The thing I think about slightly is polluting the ocean, I know the amounts were talking about are miniscule but if you add it all up, neoprene etc it starts to mount up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the long haired sandal wearing hippy type but as a spearfisher, swimmer and someone that enjoys the sea, I try to keep such things in mind........... just a few thoughts; ebrs, you did a great job on those fins (y)

Pinn, I agree with you 100%. As divers, ocean conservation should be our #1 priority. That's why I was concerned about the paint chipping. I just sealed the fins and Im going to let them dry for about a week, then Ill trial run them in the pool a few times. Krylon makes a UV resistant clear coat I used. If they begin chip, I wont use them in the ocean. I also agree with the scratches will make them look more authentic. Here's what the finished product looks like. I can post a follow up in a few months if anyone else would want to do something similar.
IMG_5510.jpg IMG_5509.jpg

Reactions: Pinniped72
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT