• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Painting SCUBA tanks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Wazee Diver

Oct 2, 2002
Help

Hey, does any one know any thing about painting????
I have to paint two steel 72's.They are for my travel mix(36%)
I want to paint them white.You know Travel/Deco. Cylinders get the most abuse.
Thanks Al

steel 72's???

First I would find some aluminum 80's or 40's for deoc/travel bottles. I have tried steel and find them way too heavy, even with drysuits and lots of underwear. We actually call them "ankle bangers" because of the odd way that they trim out underwater. Also make sure that they aren't the ones with the liners inside of them because they can't be 02 cleaned then.
Aluminum tanks are much easier to 02 clean because you don't have to add the anti-rust rinse after you have tumbled them.
My father-in-law has used autobody paint to cover up our old rental tanks he runs an autobady repair class at a local hioghschool and has access to all the toys. Some friends of mine just get autobody spray paint and cover them. Then, they repaint them every fall. Whatever process you use make sure that it is a cold process and don't use chemical strippers on aluminum tanks.
I just have the proper depth markings on mine, stickers from the boat store, and don't care what color the tanks are.

Just my experience.

Jon

Don't sugar coat it ,tell me how you realy feal about the steel tank deal......
Ya, that was the plan, to have all white tanks with the proper MOD on the side.I know that my mix setup is real heavy,but them steel tanks arn't that neg. when you put them in the water the botom floats up just like my alum tanks do.plus you can over pump them.
And I do.

How high can you pump your deco gas?
My 70' (50%) bottle is pumped to 3,000psi. That gives me more than enough gas to deco out if I loose my 02 bottle- I carry it in an aluminum 80. My 02 bottle was an 80 until this summer when I dumped all of my farce-fins on ebay. That gave me the money to buy an aluminum 40 AND kept me in helium for most of the summer. We cascade our 02 bottles to about 2,000psi. That gives me plenty of gas for my 20' stop.
I also belong to a a tech diving club called DEEPmidwest. We have members from Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois and even Tennesse. Maybe you would want to start up the Minnesota contingant?:confused:
Many of them will be up there next weekend- I heard a rumor of over 25 people next weekend. They usually meet at the North end and there will be a trailer filled with mixing equipment there. My car has all of the freediving bumper stickers on it.
I was hoping to just freedive this time and skip the mixed stuff. Actually I really want to try out my new favorite sport, spearfishing, at Wazee next weekend. I can spend 6-8 hours in the water doing that, compared to the 20-25 minute bottom times we do on mix. :D

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT