• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pan-american championship in Peru

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rcerdena

Oct 24, 2003
For all the spearos who are interested:

The first PanAmerican spearfishing championship will be hosted in Peru on the 3rd. and 4th. of december.

The competition will be in San Lorenzo island, having Pachacamac island as the reserve area.

The participant countries are: United States, Brasil, Chile, Ecuador, Cuba, Venezuela and Peru.

This competition will be clasificatory for the World championship in Portugal 2006.

I know this areas very well, and if the conditions are ok, it should be a nice championship.

Regards,

Roberto

Last edited:
FYI:
here the participats' list :
(DEP= Diver, CAP=Captain/Coach)

CHILE
DEP FRANCO BOSQUEZ CONTRERAS
DEP PEDRO LAY AAHUMADA
DEP PATRICIO SAEZ GODOY
DEP MIGUEL SOTO OSADON
CAP LUDWING DUARTE FERNANDEZ

BRASIL
CAP/DEP GEORGES LOUIS MARTENS
DEP FERNANDO THONY
DEP ALEXANDRE VIANNA

ECUADOR
DEP MARLON ARMENDARIZ
DEP FRANCISCO RIZZO
DEP ALFREDO ROSADO
DEP/ CAP ALEJANDRO MUENTES
JEFE LIN CHIANG

PERU
DEP ENRIQUE WHUKING
DEP CARLOS FUNG
DEP PAOLO CORBATTO
DEP DANIEL MARQUEZ
CAP LUIS VASQUEZ

USA
CAP RENE LEONARDO ROJAS
DEP TERRENCE TAKAHATA
DEP LANCE OTSUBO
DEP GERALD LIM
DEP WAYDE HAYASHI

VENEZUELA
DEP CARLOS GARCIA BOSCAN
DEP YONIS REYES BRITO
DEP JONY ORTEGA MATA
DEP ALEXANDER ORTEGA MATA
DEP ROBERT BALDAN
CAP MANUEL FUENTES

CUBA
DEBORAH ANDOLLO

Roberto,

I was talking with my friends and now my sponsored spearos of the Venezuelan team a couple days ago and the conditions were horrible last week.

Visibility = 2 feet
Temperature = 55 F

Hope this get better for the competition days.

Cheers

Ivan

Even the guys from peru and Chile did not go out to scout the zones for the big waves.

Hello Ivan:
I talked today with my friends, who are going to dive in the Championship and they told me that the conditions were not good: dirty water comming from the south and the sea was rough.

For the week-end the contidions of the sea should be better, but I'm not that sure about the visibility, let's just hope that it improves.

About the temperature, 55F its not bad for this time of the year, I could say that the winter over there is over.

I agree with you, scouting the zones with big waves is not pleasant, I can find my holes there with 2ft of visibility.....but with waves..no way, it becomes a washing machine.

I will try to keep you all posted on what's going on with the conditions during the upcoming days.

Cheers,

Roberto

It seems that the sea conditions will improve for the competition during the weekend!
No more big waves!

Roberto

Attachments

• spac_swht_048.gif
    spac_swht_048.gif
    37.4 KB · Views: 172
  • spac_swht_072.gif
    spac_swht_072.gif
    37.3 KB · Views: 172
Here a bit more.

Cheers,

Roberto

Attachments

• Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 184
For the record, this Brazilian team don't have the best spearfishers in the country, who are gathered in another national federation, including former individual world vice-champion Paulo Pacheco. Those guys will be lucky if they finish in 3rd as a team. :rcard

Common Ted.

Do not be so hard with them. I think that Alexandre De Viana is a veyr skillful spearo.

Personally I think that the Chileans are the favorites but we need to see what happen this weekend.

How is your Mamba working?

Cheers

Ivan

Fernando Thoni is a friend and good diver too. But they aren't in the big leagues anymore (Fernando and Georges) nor yet (Alexandre). Mark my words and tell me later.

I had the Mamba kit installed in the Medisten 70 and had removed the power reducer, but I'm still waiting on the shafts, that should be delivered next Thursday. They normally don't stock pneumatic shafts that short. But I'm very much looking forward to it because next Wednesday we should dive in the very area that made me thought of the Mambasized gun. I heard that a couple guys got 80 lb of snook and grouper Thursday and Friday.

Here the unofficial results of the Championship:

By teams:
- Saturday:
1.- Chile
2.- Brasil
3.- Peru

- Sunday
1.- Chile
2.- Peru
3.- Brasil

Overall standings:

1.- Chile
2.- Brasil
3.- Peru
4.- Venezuela
5.- USA
6.- Ecuador

As expected, the chileans with their profesional spearos won the championship. I dove one time with Bozques in a championship and the man was, and still is, a machine with a crazy rythm.

Hey Ted, as I was told, one of the brazilians caught today a nice parrot-fish (something like 5.5Kg), wich made the difference. Well done to the brazilians!

As soon as I get the detailed information I will post it here.

I will keep you all updated,

Cheers,

Roberto

Last edited:
Ok guys:
here the individual and teams results.

It's a bit ironic to see that with the new CMAS ratio point system the peruvian team finished 3rd, even after fishing more (in Kg or points) than the brasilian team. Bozques result during the second day was determinant for this, since he made that high score he set a big ratio difference with the other competitors.

Anyway, the competition was nice, let's see if I get some pictures.

Cheers,

Roberto

Attachments

• res1.jpg
    res1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 182
  • res2.jpg
    res2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 167
Well, I stand corrected.:blackeye Knowing their present individual potential, and having some experience myself in international competitions, I'm very suprised with their results. The Chileans didn't surprise me at all. But the others... :hmm

Well Ted,
Your guys did it best that you were thinking.

Congartulations

How id your leg? ready to go into the water again?

Cheers

Ivan

Ted

I was wondering if you know the reason of the Brazilian performance on the world championship (spearfishing) early this year.

Rafael

Asturven said:
How is your leg? ready to go into the water again?

Getting better by the day :hmm. I never knew we had so many thigh muscles. Each day a different one gets sore or hurts :crutch . Until last week, my rehab was fin-swimming in the sea with short fins; this week I'm upgrading to long but soft spearfishing fins :)

Strangelove said:
I was wondering if you know the reason of the Brazilian performance on the world championship (spearfishing) early this year.

Which one? The last CMAS World's was held in 2004, in Iquique, Chile, not this year. OTOH, in 2006 we'll have two World Champs, the CMAS one in Portugal :hungover :yack , and FIPSA's (a new spearfishing-only int'l federation), in Cabo Frio, Brazil, in early April. :cool:

strangelove said:
I was thinking about the one in Chile.

:hmm Referring specifically to their performance. They had to pay all expenses, I mean, everything, for air tickets to T-shirts. Therefore, this limited somewhat their stay and scouting possibilities. To learn the local fishing was paramount. However, money alone wouldn't help. The Spanish made a huge tactical error that costed them dearly.

Those three are excellent divers by all accounts. But, they aren't best available in the country now. Their effort is commendable, nonetheless

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT