• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pathos Alma Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mohamed Elghorab

Oct 2, 2016
Hi guys !! I'm about to buy a new speargun soon and I have two Pathos spearguns in mind but I don't know which one I should choose, the Pathos Alma open 82 or the 90 ???!!!
Knowing that I'm going to install a reel and I usually hunt by the reef in the Red Sea but now I wanna go for some GTs, Barracudas, Emprors and Coral trouts !
Any Ideas ???

Generally, the longer the barrel, the longer the line, the longer the range and so on :)

If the visibility is decent in your area, and you really want to go after those GTs, then I would go with the longer gun. But it is only 8 cm difference, so when comparing them you won't notice much difference, but that might be like the 20cm you needed more on a long shot. But if your technique/stalking is great, you won't need the longer gun, and it might be a tad more maneuverable (shorter gun). BUT you can always double wrap tho short gun.

Anyways, have fun deciding!:p

Rock Shooter

Reactions: Mohamed Elghorab
Generally, the longer the barrel, the longer the line, the longer the range and so on :)

If the visibility is decent in your area, and you really want to go after those GTs, then I would go with the longer gun. But it is only 8 cm difference, so when comparing them you won't notice much difference, but that might be like the 20cm you needed more on a long shot. But if your technique/stalking is great, you won't need the longer gun, and it might be a tad more maneuverable (shorter gun). BUT you can always double wrap tho short gun.

Anyways, have fun deciding!:p

Rock Shooter
is it true that double wrapping makes the shot less accurate ?

Reactions: Rock Shooter
A good question, there is no doubt that the spear line effects the spear speed, this due to the drag in the water from the trailing line.
There used to be group on this forum who shot 'free spears' no line attached at all, they were based in Florida and hunted big fish.
Some might consider that sporting as it would require a very accurate kill shot .. personally I find it a bit stupid!
Anyway I don't know about the accuracy but the more line you use the more drag you will get.
I use double wraps on my dry barrel air guns due to the range & power they offer but, I use 1mm mono & a 150mm length of bungee cord.
That is thinner than most folk like to use & it need changing regularly to avoid tangles.

Reactions: Rock Shooter
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT