• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pathos Laser Open Pro 110 - stronger rubber or should I roller?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jan 19, 2016
Gents. The 2 x 16mm high elasticity, small ID rubber which I currently have installed have reached their end of life, they have started to 'fray' after just 8 months, used perhaps 15 times if that.

I stretch them to 300% + so perhaps no wonder they get used up so quickly!

Now, since I'm in the market to buy new rubber I was thinking about 2 options:

1) Go for 2 x 18mm at around 280% stretch rubbers
2) Bite the bullet and go for a roller setup (Alemanni head?) with single x 18mm rubber

I am using a 6.5mm Salvimar Sharkfin shaft. With the 2 x 16mm small ID I had good power and a 3-4m shot ability at the very best. However the shaft speed was not very fast. The shot can best be considered medium fast.

Which option do you prefer? Will roller give me a fast shot and a 4-5m range to shoot small (500g - 2kg) white fish at distance? If so what roller heads you recommend (source)?

I dive in crystal clear water at depths of 10-20m mainly.

Thanks for any advice!

You would get better performance using 14mm small id stretched at a higher percentage than 280% with 18mm bands. Check out majdq8 on youtube. He’s done a lot of testing using pathos guns and 14mm small id bands. For that size gun you need band stretch to gain performance opposed to bigger bands @ a smaller percentage stretch.

A roller head would also be a good option. I personally use Mannysub roller muzzle on my rob allen guns and would most likely try the new RA roller muzzle soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Etienne Spiteri
You would get better performance using 14mm small id stretched at a higher percentage than 280% with 18mm bands. Check out majdq8 on youtube. He’s done a lot of testing using pathos guns and 14mm small id bands. For that size gun you need band stretch to gain performance opposed to bigger bands @ a smaller percentage stretch.

A roller head would also be a good option. I personally use Mannysub roller muzzle on my rob allen guns and would most likely try the new RA roller muzzle soon.

Thanks for your reply. That is some serious testing right there :)

I've seen the Mannysub and looks like its well built. Do you have a source that ships to EU (Malta)?

One last thing, apart from muzzle modification, what else would I need to do to the gun to transform to roller? I certainly need some sort of band attachment on the bottom of the gun. Am really getting drawn into this whole roller muzzle idea.

Thanks for your reply. That is some serious testing right there :)

I've seen the Mannysub and looks like its well built. Do you have a source that ships to EU (Malta)?

One last thing, apart from muzzle modification, what else would I need to do to the gun to transform to roller? I certainly need some sort of band attachment on the bottom of the gun. Am really getting drawn into this whole roller muzzle idea.

I’m not sure where you would be able to order to get it to Malta. In terms of securing the roller bands, you can tie the rubber through the trigger guard. For my rob allen guns I was able to jus replace 2 screws with a mounting bolt for the roller rubbers. I’m not too familiar with the pathos guns.

Check Spearamerica.com I got a Pathos roller kit from him to put on my HammerHead 90cm gun comes with muzzle and bottom anchor that you have to epoxy on.fits barrel size is 26mm I think. Not sure if he ships there either.

I am using a 6.5mm Salvimar Sharkfin shaft. With the 2 x 16mm small ID I had good power and a 3-4m shot ability at the very best.

For a 110 gun is not too much. Especially if it is Pathos, which I remember that they have a longer band stretch than other 110 guns.
I would keep it classic, with a buoyancy compensator if necessary, 7mil shaft with short overhang and two 14 mil small ID Primeline bands.
With the right band length must be accurate and powerful at 5m.

PS. I've been in Malta who weeks ago and had a great time! Very nice everything there.
But I am still confused about spearfishing licence; is it needed or not? On the forums the guys told me that there is no need for it, but I've read in the AZURE magazine that it is.

azure.jpg

Reactions: Etienne Spiteri
You’ve got the Pathos sepia for roller conversion. Fits your tube like a glove. Basically all euro shops ship to Malta and there is plenty of them. This one is one of them all... https://www.diveshop.gr/index.php/pathos-sepia-roller-sniper.html?___store=en&___from_store=default

That is great thank you. I'll see about that!

In the meantime I thought you'd like to know that I just bought a new Salvimar Roller muzzle (the one with lime green Delrin Rollers) from the newest Salvimar Roller! Looks and feels great in hand.

I'm using 670mm rubber @ 16mm diameter with an approx band stretch of 280%. We'll see how it goes soon!

For a 110 gun is not too much. Especially if it is Pathos, which I remember that they have a longer band stretch than other 110 guns.
I would keep it classic, with a buoyancy compensator if necessary, 7mil shaft with short overhang and two 14 mil small ID Primeline bands.
With the right band length must be accurate and powerful at 5m.

PS. I've been in Malta who weeks ago and had a great time! Very nice everything there.
But I am still confused about spearfishing licence; is it needed or not? On the forums the guys told me that there is no need for it, but I've read in the AZURE magazine that it is.

View attachment 52068

No licence is required. It was required for some years in the past, but the last legislature just removed the need for it.

You simply need to be 18+ to purchase a speargun (you must present an ID).

Reactions: mariusshobo
Go w/classical setup:

14 or 14.5mm small id, stretched to 380-400% with a 7 or 7.5mm shaft and short overhang. You’ll have very good accuracy with pretty strong power. 16mm small id in my opinion are more suited for rollers or as a single band (equivalent to a 18-19mm band).

Go w/classical setup:

14 or 14.5mm small id, stretched to 380-400% with a 7 or 7.5mm shaft and short overhang. You’ll have very good accuracy with pretty strong power. 16mm small id in my opinion are more suited for rollers or as a single band (equivalent to a 18-19mm band).

I second this idea. Bands are cheap and easy to change, so get some 14mm small ID and give it a go to see where you get the best results.

:)

Go w/classical setup:

But mine will be a roller setup!

With a Salvimar Roller muzzle as seen here :) - https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/salvimar-roller-muzzle/136602132/p

Gents. Gun is ready. Will take some photos when I get a breathing chance!

Only managed to trial it once, seems plenty strong. One issue though...it has become heavy. I mounted a 7mm Salvimar 150mm shaft & probably also due to roller head. It is still fairly well balanced (front & rear) & sinks evenly but quite fast to the bottom.

How can I make it float better!?

Gents, Is it a good idea to change 2x16 mm OEM rubber black natural latex on Pathos Laser Open Pro 100 cm with 2x18 mm? Or that would be a waste of money and energy on shaft, too?

Are any those black OEM rubbers good - or will it be better if I change them with progressive/or maybe reactive Pathos's TNT or NITRO? I catching fish in open water, no holes, 6-7 meters depth, Adriatic Sea?

Thanks in advance!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT