• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Peeing in wetsuit in winter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Homerkp

Sep 21, 2018
Hello, so I started spearfishing a few months ago. I only just started peeing in the suit cause I got tired of opening it up in the water. Here in Greece it's still warm, and after a dive I take the wetsuit off, rinse it in the sea, and jump in myself cause I know I had pee flowing through the thing, over my body. So what about winter? I won't be able to take the suit off and jump in the sea anymore. I can take the suit off, but if I put clothes on like that and jump in the car, won't I be bringing a stench with me? I'm hoping someone will say that most of it washes out during the dive, but I don't think any water is leaving the leg part and only a little sea water comes in the hood area. What do you guys do after a dive?

Hello, so I started spearfishing a few months ago. I only just started peeing in the suit cause I got tired of opening it up in the water. Here in Greece it's still warm, and after a dive I take the wetsuit off, rinse it in the sea, and jump in myself cause I know I had pee flowing through the thing, over my body. So what about winter? I won't be able to take the suit off and jump in the sea anymore. I can take the suit off, but if I put clothes on like that and jump in the car, won't I be bringing a stench with me? I'm hoping someone will say that most of it washes out during the dive, but I don't think any water is leaving the leg part and only a little sea water comes in the hood area. What do you guys do after a dive?
Winter you pee les than summer ! their is a valve liquide out made avaliable from omer one of their products easy to attatch to wet suit pants ,.I dont pee in my suit its not good and in winter the pee in the suit goes cold in 4 / 5 minuets look on onter net or the omer product then look on youtube to see if their is any further info if you have difficulty in atatching the liquid out valve i purchase the larger one as their are 2 sizes,.

Reactions: Homerkp
I live in Greece too, Crete to be precise. The water here doesn't get so cold that jumping in after the dive to take a quick bath would be impossible. It also gets easier after a while. (And it's healthy too!)
Thessaloniki's or Igoumenitsa's winter water might be a different story though.

Anyway, if you drink enough and dive long enough your pee will be completely colorless and odorless due to immersion diuresis.
Probably you also use shampoo or something similar to get into the suit, so don't worry even if you don't jump in afterwards.

If you're really grossed out by it you could always bring a thermos or a cooler filled with hot water to the dive, but imo that's a luxury reserved for the folks in Canada and Norway.

Peeing in the suit in the winter... It's a nice boost of comfortable warmth. :)

Cool very useful replies people, thank you. I'll see how it goes as fall rolls along and maybe I'll look into one of those tubes. I didn't know it was so simple to put on.

If you are using a hood do not pee in your wetsuit.
Your ears can get infected very easily from the urine,even if it looks watery clear and odorless.
Use a pisette, cheap and easy to install.

You will NOT get an infection from the pee. It is basically sterile and contains less bacteria than tap water. But I agree on the feeling of peeing in wetsuits. Not a good feeling...

Reactions: mcrt
I have a Beuchat pant with a solution, the Braca system. It allows you to take a leak without taking the suit off or get it full off piss. It has worked wonders for me! Just pull "the snake" out, take a leak and put it back in.

Reactions: Mr. X
You will NOT get an infection from the pee. It is basically sterile and contains less bacteria than tap water. But I agree on the feeling of peeing in wetsuits. Not a good feeling...
Just checked this and you are right, i was told otherwise and i believed it...my bad.
Thx for the insight!.

I doubt that the water gets that cold you can't go in up to your crotch. but if it is windy and chilly outside, and you have been diving a while the idea is not appealing. Pee when I dive is usually clear without any smell, and my wetsuits have no smell.
You could drive home with your wetsuit pants on, put an Ikea tarp bag and a towel on your car seat, and remove the pants in the shower. You could also use some pair of old pants, some lounge/tracksuit pants to use just for that

Take top off. Go back in with wetsuit pants on only. Immerse yourself head to toe. Stand up and pull open pant top to let in lots of sea water. Walk back out and let seawater flood out pant legs.

If you are using a hood do not pee in your wetsuit.
Your ears can get infected very easily from the urine,even if it looks watery clear and odorless.
Use a pisette, cheap and easy to install.
This occurred to me the other day as I felt liquids swashing around my ears. Glad to hear it's safe after all. :oops:

Ignore it. Pee away and forget it happened.
Wash it out on the beach or boat where you can and wash it out at home if you can’t. Don’t forget your booties too.

I realize this is probably not the answer you want but I know exactly one dive who does not pee in their suit on a regular basis. And even he agrees that it is uncomfortable.

(For some reason he considers it ok to take off one bootie and pee over the rail of the boat. Not sure what he thinks about the other bootie getting filled up.)

Take top off. Go back in with wetsuit pants on only. Immerse yourself head to toe. Stand up and pull open pant top to let in lots of sea water. Walk back out and let seawater flood out pant legs.
I might see how long I can bear that. Some people swim in the winter and they say it's good for you. If I can work up a tolerance this would be ideal so I don't have to tamper with the suit. Then again if the tube is so easy to put on and doesn't affect the longevity of the suit I may put one.

Ignore it. Pee away and forget it happened.
Wash it out on the beach or boat where you can and wash it out at home if you can’t. Don’t forget your booties too.

I realize this is probably not the answer you want but I know exactly one dive who does not pee in their suit on a regular basis. And even he agrees that it is uncomfortable.

(For some reason he considers it ok to take off one bootie and pee over the rail of the boat. Not sure what he thinks about the other bootie getting filled up.)
Yeah I've gotten used to the pee already. It doesn't bother me. It was more the issue of cleaning myself before getting in the car to go home if the water and air is really cold out.

Your ears can get infected very easily from the urine
Urine is sterile, unless you got an infection in the urinary tract. I would be more worried about ocean pollution in some areas.

Winter punishes the man who pees in his suit with the sea water temperature of 5c it gets worse if you pee 2 and 3 times for something that could remedy the problem for less than 10 euro when i fish i fish with out having the diversion of a cold pee is worse if im 500 meters from the shore .Mr x made a good sudgestion on the french tube ive not seen that in the shops only on one occasion on a divers suit . Omer version of liquide out valve works on the crocadile basis .

Peeing in the suit in the winter... It's a nice boost of comfortable warmth. :)
It is a temporary "boost". It will chill up in minutes and you will get cold. Wetsuit insulation is better when you don't have any liquid circulation btween it and your skin. Best solution is to get a pissette or "tube" and then, rinse yourself with some warm water that you kept in your car in an insulated container.

Reactions: Johny Depth
Fill a large water bottle with hot water and leave it in the sun in your car and use it to rinse yourself after the dive.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT