• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pelaj Railguns/Spearguns. Kanji, Nemesis, Sabre and Venom.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

madkiwiman

Nov 6, 2018
I am new to these forums and wanted to see what you thought of the Pelaj railguns? I have an opportunity to sell some Kanji, Nemesis, Sabre and Venom railguns. I have read enough reviews to hear some great reviews (from experienced divers and free divers) and some not so good ones about quality of barrels and the trigger mech etc. I believe I would be getting newer improved ones made after 2010 instead of some of the earlier 2008 ones. The US distributer wanted to much for them it seems. I wanted to see for brand new railguns what people would pay for one.

The “Pelaj" speargun line was developed in Australia for a company "Aquastralis" that used to distribute Rob Allen guns, however they lost that franchise so decided on making a clone locally. A South African guy was behind it who had experience of that type of gun, but out of tolerance parts and swelling plastic trigger components made the guns unreliable as they could misfire by not being properly locked. Although fixes were introduced the guns were never considered reliable enough and even Rob Allen ditched that type of dipping sear tooth reloading mechanism that "Pelaj" had copied. That is why after initial enthusiasm the "Pelaj" brand faded from view. Plastic trigger, as in the trigger itself guns can work, but not the way the "Pelaj" gun was designed. Attached is a Rob Allen “Vecta” diagram showing how they changed their trigger mechanism to a more reliable version, but “Pelaj” did not make a similar change.
Rob Allen Vecta mechanism changes RR.jpg

Thanks for that info. That being said... Would you consider $200 odd for the Kanji or Nemesis a fair price? unlike the $500 odd the were selling them for.

A price of around $200 is very reasonable for a speargun, however any gun must be reliable and within limits repairable if something jams it like being wave washed on a sandy bottom when swirling sand can enter a cocked gun, which rapidly sinks if dropped, in a few seconds. Those "Pelaj" guns need to be well maintained, not thrown into a corner without being rinsed off or cleaned. No gun is a bargain if it gives problems and that is a risk any buyer wlll have to face.

Reactions: madkiwiman
Makes you wonder why they didn't adjust the trigger mechs aye.
Injection molding dies are very expensive and making changes to them is very difficult, so my thoughts are they gave up on it given that they had already received a drubbing on various forums when owners aired their complaints about their guns misfiring. Court cases have been held when divers have been accidentally shot, so the prospect of being sued for every dollar they own has tended to make people nervous when selling a problematic gun. You also need to think about that with the "Pelaj" spearguns, given their past history.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT