• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pelengas Carbon Fiber Pneumatic Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Pelengas are now working on a carbon fiber gun as can be seen here. This rear handle gun seems to be a longer model than the ones we usually see.
Pelengas carbon fiber gun 1.jpg

Pelengas carbon fiber 2.jpg

Pelengas reel.jpg

This head on shot looks a bit weird, but I guess we will learn more once further details are released. The outer tube from this perspective looks like there is an anti-muzzle flip set of wings up front and a bulbous bump at the reel position such as we see on some Carbon C4 models.

Here is an example with annotations
Carbon C4 Mr Dark C4 speargun.jpg

Last edited:
FInally;-)
This is something very close to my heart. Some of you guys know that I have had a gun pretty much like that in my mind - and on some drawings - for some years now. But it's a fairly big thing making a CF reservoir so haven't gotten around to it yet. I am honestly the most nervous about how 30-40 bar of pressure works once you start having bulbous shapes like that. You might need some internal stringers or bulkheads at the widest part of the reservoir. Or, maybe I am just overthinking it again;-).

As for the anti-flip wings on the Palengas gun, I think they may more about redistributing volume than creating intentional drag or probably a mix. My own idea for such a gun was to slim down the front part as much as possible to help with tracking as on long pneumatics, I realized that tracking actually suffers. If one still wants a nose cone (you could design without one) I think the smallest you can get to is about 25-26mm height at the front (with a stock 18mm barrel). But you loose volume, of course, so perhaps that's partly what Palengas are making up for with the wings. But I will admit that the look bigger than just volume redistribution judging from the renderings.
I had this funking idea of making a rear+ handled gun (is that what they call them? something in between a rear- and a midhandle gun) with a very slim front, a Mr. Dark inspired belly and then some lead in the rear end of the reservoir to make the gun sit level in the water.

Anyways, one day I will hopefully get around to this project;-)

The guy who directed me to this gun said that the pressure was limited and that pressures say above 32 atmospheres up to 40 atmospheres which some guns use would not be possible with a carbon fiber tank. He did not actually say that this gun is a full carbon fiber tank, but it would not make much sense as a jacket over a metal tank except for buoyancy assistance. No point in guessing and the source is the Pelengas Store guy whom I have bought a lot of stuff from, including the LG-Sub 62 cm gun that he acquired to check it out. I expect that the forums will be buzzing when this latest product hits the news, but right now the Pelengas website is still closed down.

Ah, that's good to know.
The closer to circular cross shapes, they can keep it - and the smaller circumferences, too - the less structural challenges they will have, I reckon.

Come to think about it, it is possibly to get pressure tanks for firefighters, divers, etc in CF - but it is not 100% CF, but rather wound over a thin walled alu bottle. So, in theory Pelengas could make reservoirs that way - CF over a hydroformed bulbous reservoir - but I don't see why they would.

Ah, that's good to know.
The closer to circular cross shapes, they can keep it - and the smaller circumferences, too - the less structural challenges they will have, I reckon.

Come to think about it, it is possibly to get pressure tanks for firefighters, divers, etc in CF - but it is not 100% CF, but rather wound over a thin walled alu bottle. So, in theory Pelengas could make reservoirs that way - CF over a hydroformed bulbous reservoir - but I don't see why they would.
Well as we know provided the numbers add up in terms of a product being profitable to manufacture, the companies are always looking for something new to boost sales, and that includes new materials. Hence it is the Salvimar, Pelengas and Omer type of companies (I almost hesitate to include the latter) which are seeking advantages while the established old-timers Mares and Cressi-Sub have tended to just cruise along with their established products. Carbon fiber could have been used in handles and muzzles as glass filled plastics have been used for those components for many years, however the latter incorporated fibres in thermoplastic materials suitable for injection molding, whereas carbon fiber has been used in thermoset plastics and therein lies the difference as they cannot be injection molded, instead they require transfer molding.

Beautiful candy candy! Let's see what the content will be! Pelengas knows how to surprise and upset!

Beautiful candy candy! Let's see what the content will be! Pelengas knows how to surprise and upset!
Yes, it will be interesting to see what the internal layout is. I am very pleased with my Pelengas guns, especially the "Magnum" 2/3rds model which even with a metal reel floats like a cork and its handle is visible from some distance away when viewed from the surface after having bagged its most recent victim. The "Z-linka".is not as buoyant, so it has no reel and just makes do with the shooting line wraps.

Pelengas website still not working.http://pelengas.com/ Olga still battling the monsters and has not replaced her dive mask, shows lack of experience, although mask may have descended into the depths!
bg.jpg

Last edited:
A short video of the new Pelengas Carbon body pneumatic gun being shown at a dive show.

Having a little bit of fun at the dive show!
Carbon gun at dive show.jpg

All eyes for the new gun.

Here new Pelengas carbon guns held by lovely staff members!
50801714_1009581375894780_8208829722780499968_n.jpg

Reactions: Zahar
Another photo from the Moscow Dive Show. Holding the new gun on the right is the lovely Olga whom you see mentioned under the banner while the Pelengas website is being revamped.
51710780_1011578125695105_8544696169622667264_n.jpg

A victim of the Pelengas Max.(from the official Pelengas Facebook page)
Pelengas Max.jpg

Should be good to eat!

Last edited:
For those who were curious about the dimensions of this gun we now have its dimensions.
Pelengas Carbon Max sizes.jpg

Looks like it is not too fat to grab around the mid-point, a factor which is important when getting out under less than ideal conditions where you cannot hand the gun to someone already out of the water.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT