• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Photo gear for freedivers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fbbomao

Aug 27, 2002
In answer to Deepthought, Canon EOS' price is about 324 € here in Spain with a 28-80 standard zoom.

I've not seen the digital you talked about...

But now the pro 14 Mpixels (Canon and Kodak) are to arrive so the low level cameras' price are probably gonna been reduced. You'd better waiting a little...

Does somebody know something about the ikelite U/W exposure meter? It's still made?

324 euro? not bad, but the shipping will make it cost more than the price here, not a big difference after all.

The digital I asked about was (S40)4Mpixel, i don't remember the exact max resolution, but it was something like 20% over 1600*1200, which is enough for me.

I'm not a pro photographer, and I'm not aiming for it, so I think that after all, messing with film might be too much for me.

14Mpixel is quite alot! do you know when they'll hit the market so a normal 4Mpixel won't cost 600$?

I read somewhere the 14 Mpx Kodak will be priced around US$4000. Canon has just launched a 11 Mpx 1Ds. they wanted to start at $US8999. A shop in the Netherlands says it is expected in December for Euro 9950.!!!!

I don't think this will have a huge impact on the price of the lower end camera's.

Last edited:
:waterwork

They must be joking. They will sell 5 units a year that way. it will never pay off the R&D and production lines.

You underestimate the pro & high end market. These top-flight, fresh-off-the-production-line cameras are bought first by people with bottomless pockets and large organisations (news, advertisement media, etc.) that can support their staff this way, although they don't do it as much as they used to. More pros are freelance than ever before.

After the first 12 - 18 months, we can expect the prices to come down by half or even 2/3rds.

Some people with money just 'ride the wave' by buying the latest toys that come out, use it for a while, then auction it off on ebay while the value is high, then buy the next latest thing. I wish I were one of those people though :(

Peter S.

Once again, does somebody know something about the Ikelite U/W lightmeter?

If it works also as a flashmeter out of water, it can be useful...

14 Mpixel, a larger chip would be advisable as well. a 256mb is quite good for a 4Mpixel, for a 14Mp it should be only the minimum standart.

About that light meter thingy, well, I already stated I'm not a real photographer, never used one of those thingamies. :)

And for that kind of money you only get the camera!
Seems like there's some kind of law of nature that an UW housing is at least as expensive as the camera you try to protect with it. Oh and you want a decent flash too?

I found this on the Ikelite homepage. Is that the meter you are looking for?

The nicest thing about these new hig-end cams is the fact that the CCD is as large as 35mm roll film. So your lenses work the way they are designed. Until now you needed to get wider angle stuff to get the effect of a normal range lens.

jvoets:
Seems like there's some kind of law of nature that an UW housing is at least as expensive as the camera you try to protect with it.
Werd! (what? there isn't a "thumbs up" smiliey?)

I have the Canon EOS A2, and I was thinking about a housing...any suggestions out there? Most of the ones I have seen are at least $500-600US.

MAtt

I have shot Canon since the mid 80's and sold off all of my film cameras last year and went completely digital. The A2 is a good camera - I think the only housing you will probably find for it will be made by Ikelite.

Personally, I am glad I switched over to shooting digital for my work. It is much easier for me to edit in the camera and the camera's are much smaller. My little Olympus camera's in a housing with a high end 100 degree achromat lens is a sweet setup.

As long as I compose carefully, I can get digital photographs up to 5x7" (2.1 megapixel camera's) that look as good as film. Then if they need to go bigger, scan them on a high rez scanner for magazine cover as an example.

I hope to upgrade to the C4000 or 4040's soon, although the Nikon 5000 in a housing is very appealing as well...

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT