• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Picasso Black Teams vs Omer Millenium Black Fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dialadiver

Dec 27, 2004
Hi all.

I am a learning freediver/spearo with some good dives under my belt and have dived to 20m as my personal best. My spearing is getting better (ihave a Rob Allen 1.2 with 20mm rubber and 7mm shaft) though I am yet to spear a large pelagic which is my dream.

Anyway, I weigh 102 kg and have very strong legs (from holding up my big guts :p :p :D :D ) and find that the green esclapezes I am using now are very soft and whilst are great for surface and shallow diving I have found that diving a little deeper past say 12m they tend to slow me down. Also, when I was diving in 20m I found that they didn't really have the thrust to get myself to the surface without strenuous kicking, which from a SWB perspective could be quite dangerous??

Well, now to my question - do you learned spearos/freedivers have any opinions on the Picasso Black Teams or the Omer Millenium Black Fins and which ones would be good for deeper open water diving from a boat? - in other words, I would be doing less surface fin swiming as I will be diving from my new boat soon.

Are there any other solutions - ie - carbonfibre fins ets?

thankyou for reading my post and look forward to any advice/info you can impart.

Cheers

Adrian

Are there any other solutions - ie - carbonfibre fins ets?

Adrian[/QUOTE]

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=38963"]Fin Lineup - Any Questions?[/ame]

Comprehensive review of most top notch fins in the market. Hope this helps.

Adrian, at your size I would recommend that you look into a fiberglass fin. A big, stiff fin! For you, a stiffer fin equates to a less stiff fin on a smaller guy. OMER, Waterway and Special Fins all make good fiberglass fins.
Coming up should be pleasant, not scary hard work :)
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Hi Erik, thanks for the reply.

I'll look into the options - pretty pricey though from what I have seen so far!!! :waterwork :waterwork

I can buy the Omer Millenium Competition pretty cheap when compared to say a Waterways or special fins. I'll just have to do some more research

Adrian

dial
you cannot compare the plastic fins to the hand laid fibreglass/carbon fins they are different animals.

you cannot compare the plastic fins to the hand laid fibreglass/carbon fins they are different animals.

Fair enough. Doesn't help me much though :p :p

O.K, lets say that I cannot afford fancy carbon/fibreglass fins for the moment and have a budget that limits me to plastic fins, which ones do you think would be a good choice between the Picasso black teams or the Omer Millenium competition? Remember, I weigh 100+kg, have big strong legs, but am only an intermediately experienced freediver.
Any help greatly appreciated

Adrian

Adrian, I think the performance would be so close on the 2 brands that the choice should be based on comfort: do you have wide feet, wear 5mm socks, 3mm socks, etc?
As a spearo, comfort is the most important aspect for me. I'd rather dive shallow with comfortable fins than deep with uncomfortable fins if I need to be in the water for 3 hours+.
Happy New Year,
Erik Y.

The other thing is that the OMER footpockets will accept other styles of blades, while the Picasso will not, as far as I have seen. You could always upgrade your blades later if you use the OMER pockets.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Hi Erik. Thanks for the advice. I will probably get the Omer Millenium Comps for now, practise and use them for a while and when i feel my freediving/spearfishing techniques have progressed, then maybe I can buy stiffer carbon or fibreglass blades.

Have a Happy New Year and Safe Diving

Adrian

Don't mean to disagree with Erik, but I know a few people who have used Picasso pockets with Waterway & C4 blades.

Omer is more of a standard for interchangability since the rail/hole placements are nearly the same as sporasub. As reccommended, see which feels better & go with that one.

I have both Omer and Black Team footpockets , The Omers are attached to Specialfins Hybrid pro Hard tho' .
The min difference is width , I have quite wide feet and find the Omers to be a MUCH nicer footpocket. In fact in my size 44-46 I have to use finkeepers with the BT's but not with the Omers.
There is no comparison between the two fins my buddy uses BT's and he cannot keep up in the water despite being quite a bit fitter.
Efficiency seems to be the thing, between the glass/plastic fins.
I was quite happy with the BT's until I got the OMers, don't try the glass fins unless you can afford them because you will have to get them!!!

Hi Huan.

From the research I've done so far, everyone seems to rave about the composite fibre/carbon/fibreglass fins. At the moment, my post-christmas budget is a bit low so I think that I'll go for the Omer Millenium Competitions and see how I go. Since I am only an intermediate level diver, I have tonnes to learn and have to work on my technique and breathhold before I an afford to splurge on mega expensive composite fins.

Thanks for your advice and info

Cheers and Happy New Year :) :D :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT