• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Picasso Cobra / Magnum BW - camo :)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
I came across the above 2 models - the Picasso Cobra BW camo and the Picasso Magnum BW camo - their specifications "tick most of the boxes" for me.
fusil-cobra-bw-camuflaje-de-picasso.jpg

http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/picasso-magnum-bw/602683/p?tqw=105 cm
http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/picasso-magnum-bw/602683/p

I wondered if any forum members own & use either one of these?

This is specification for the Picasso Magnum BW:

"New Magnum handle New open muzzle Magnum New cuttlefish shape tube, covered with camo green or brown polyurethane mousse, giving it the ideal stability and mobility, as well as avoiding all scratches and noise on the tube.

Shaft rail for maximum precision! 6.5mm stainless steel Silver ‘Shark Fin’ Shaft Circular 19mm Boom Rubber with Quick Dyneema wishbone
Swivel snap clip muzzle bungee 1.8mm Monoline and sleeves"

There is nothing I don't like there (unusual) and everything that I look for (even more unusual), plus several "nice to haves" that I didn't really expect to find on an affordable production speargun I like (e.g. brown camo, cuttlefish body shape, sharkfin spear).

Last edited:
It took me a few minutes to figure out the difference between the 2 models & their various variants:

- There are plain black aluminium railed versions of both for under £100 in the 105cm sizes & lower.
- The are camo aluminium railed versions of both for just over £100 for the 105cm sizes.
- There were carbon railed versions of both ("no longer available" :( ).
- The cuttle-fish bodied ones get the "BW" (Blue Water presumably) designation.

So what's the difference between the Cobra & Magnum? Simple, the handles are different! And perhaps the trigger mechanisms they contain or the mounting position of them - although I can't really see any difference on the DiveInn/ScubaStore images of them :D I wonder if they accidentally put images of the Magnum handle & mech. on both? Look below & see what you think...

Cobra (Hmm - or is it?):
picasso-cobra-bw.jpg
"New Cobra handle with stainless steel line release"

This seems to be the real Cobra handle:
picasso-magnum.jpg

Magnum:
picasso-magnum-rail.jpg
"New Magnum handle with new 100% stainless steel inverted trigger mechanism, very fast and totally independent from the rubber pressure on the shaft, making the shots extremely sensitive, even when charged with multiple rubbers!

No mechanical safety mechanism on the trigger on purpose, to oblige to unload the rubbers on all risky situations - the only 100% safe security system known! New anatomical grip, stainless steel line release and removable Loading pad"

But perhaps this image of the insides of the Cobra mech. & handle will help clarify:
picasso-cobra-rail.jpg
0b9dd25c-f732-487a-8c57-ca8ea152e8d9.jpg

This looks different to the Cobra image above (note the enclose area over the spear starts at the front of the trigger guard, not over the handle; also black plastic trigger vs. silver metal trigger). I reckon the top 2 images are both Magnums with the desirable "reversed" trigger mech. (a 3rd party upgrade for Rob Allen railguns) and the bottom one is the more conventional Cobra. Guess which costs more?

Magnum trigger mech:

50aefb4f-25e0-4bd1-85c0-b5a771eef188.jpg

3c601e88-5e96-4a1e-a2c3-24d6331ca34f.jpg

1186299_590605097652961_1020448234_n.jpg

http://loja.xdive.com.br/picasso-carbon-rail-p631

Last edited:
Picasso Carbon Magnum (with nice reel):

Note long, thin metal trigger. (Nice looking reel.)

Picasso Carbon Cobra (no reel), in Spanish:

Note that the enclosed section if over the front on the trigger-guard & black plastic trigger.

Last edited:
They look like they are checking many boxes - I agree!

I think a 6.5mm shaft in a 105 or 115 is too small though. I'd want a 7mm at least, if you want to be able to power it up with 2 14mm small ID bands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr. X
It took me a few minutes to figure out the difference between the 2 models & their various variants:

- There are plain black aluminium railed versions of both for under £100 in the 105cm sizes & lower.
- The are camo aluminium railed versions of both for just over £100 for the 105cm sizes.
- There were carbon railed versions of both ("no longer available" :( ).
- The cuttle-fish bodied ones get the "BW" (Blue Water presumably) designation.

Hi Mr. X,
They still have available carbon version of both, at least in Portugal I know a seller that has it.
Picasso Magnum model has also a roller version.

The big difference of both models is the handle and trigger mechanism. While cobra models are equipped with plastic triggers, magnum trigger is made of stainless steel.
I have the previous model of cobra (century) and I have to say that it is very reliable.

I was to buy a picasso cobra rail 75cm but I found a deal for a mares viper pro for the same price and that's why I am trend to go with Mares

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT